Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-10-2024, 12:25 PM   #29
bjzq8

Drives: 2019 ZL1 A10, Orange Crush
Been awhile since I posted and I finally just got my car back from having the BMS lockout kit installed. It's definitely a night and day difference, with no other changes. It had been squirrely right from the start, through winter and summer weather. I only ever really pushed it on dry roads, and I shudder to think how much worse it would have been on wet roads the way it used to behave. So I tried it today in 60F weather (it was raining when I brought it home yesterday) and it is definitely cured. Previously if I needed to pass someone on a 2-lane road, I'd have to pull out to the opposite lane and then roll into the throttle; otherwise you were very likely to end up sideswiping someone. It's a feeling I've never had in any car before, and I've had a 10 SS, a 14 Challenger SRT, a then a 16 SS. It just felt so uncomfortable under acceleration. I tried simulating a pass on an empty country blacktop and it was perfect; I hammered it, changed lanes at full throttle, and then eased back into my lane at full throttle, with only a very slight sense that the car was going to go where it wasn't supposed to, which I attribute to traction. But the uneasy feeling that must have terrified the previous owner and the old alignment guy is gone. So I want to thank everyone that helped me with my problem over the years I've had it. I was really just about to trade it off, but I thought I'd try one more thing. I think I can keep it now!
bjzq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 12:39 PM   #30
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
I had a little of that when I wore bushings out on the rear lower control arms. When I hammered the throttle, the back end would wiggle a little. Not enough to get out of control, but enough you could feel it in your "butt".
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 06:10 PM   #31
MidLifeZL1

Drives: Camaro ZL1, Camaro Z28
New ZL1 owner here. Got a 2024 A10 last September. I’m glad I found this thread. My car, while I like it, is squirrely AF. It’s not a traction issue although it is most prevalent under hard acceleration, including highway speeds.
MidLifeZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 06:16 PM   #32
CalgaryZL1

Drives: 2020 Chevy Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidLifeZL1 View Post
New ZL1 owner here. Got a 2024 A10 last September. I’m glad I found this thread. My car, while I like it, is squirrely AF. It’s not a traction issue although it is most prevalent under hard acceleration, including highway speeds.
The number one thing I do is get the tires warm first, here in Canada early morning when I take the car out, it can take half an hour.
CalgaryZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 11:51 PM   #33
JBones81

Drives: 22 ZL1, 18 RS3, 22 M3P
I threw a bunch of recommended BMR suspension pieces at it, and it is pretty straight now. Ride is a bit harsh, but I can put my foot into it and not get violently sideways
Instagram - @JBsCars
JBones81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2024, 12:27 AM   #34
Jofu

Drives: 2022 Wild Cherry ZL1 1LE
By the way, is that "squirelly" feeling discussed here only a non-1LE ZL1 thing? I don't believe I've ever felt that with my ZL1 1LE, although I have had it before, way back when I had a (bought new) 2009 C6 Z06.

Obviously, I make sure my GY SC3R tires are warm enough, but yeah never had that sense of unsafe handling. So I'm quite surprised to hear about it here! It sure would make me want to get rid of the car if it ever did that.

Geoff
Jofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2024, 04:46 AM   #35
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jofu View Post
By the way, is that "squirelly" feeling discussed here only a non-1LE ZL1 thing? I don't believe I've ever felt that with my ZL1 1LE, although I have had it before, way back when I had a (bought new) 2009 C6 Z06.

Obviously, I make sure my GY SC3R tires are warm enough, but yeah never had that sense of unsafe handling. So I'm quite surprised to hear about it here! It sure would make me want to get rid of the car if it ever did that.

Geoff
I have heard of 1LE's having this same issue but it's always difficult to get knowledgeable feedback from people having the issue as to what they've actually tried and the quality of the shops doing the work, and most of the cars that have this problem are used and you never know if the car's alignment is correct or if anything was ever done to the car. I will say the BMR cradle lockout solves this issue about 90% of the time for most people so the 1LE shouldn't have this issue since it uses sold cradle bushings which means the BMR cradle lockout wouldn't be needed on a 1LE.
Z OH 6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2024, 05:35 AM   #36
khcoaching

Drives: 2021 1SS 1LE
My ZLE had this issue in a bad way....basically on acceleration and holding the wheel straight, it would jump a lane, or on the track, head for the grass. Literally undriveable.
The fix was a retorque of everything in the rear of the car and going back to zero toe front and rear. The car is back to normal and now is as stable a can be.

Ken
Old 05-11-2024, 08:34 AM   #37
JSH

Drives: '20 ZLE
My factory alignment was all over the place so I took out toe, and thrust angle, and added some steer ahead, but you can't run big ass 325/345 tires on crowned or rutted roads w/o the car wandering around some.
JSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2024, 02:05 PM   #38
GreenZLE

Drives: 2020 Rally Green ZL1-1LE
Brand new, my ZLE was like this so I took it in for alignment and it wouldnt align to specs. I bought all BMR on car adjustable bars and that solved the problem. BTW, if using bars with a heim end, buy rubber boots to cover them or they will start creaking. Also, dont use petroleum based lube or it will swell the teflon lining in them also causing them to creak.
GreenZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2024, 02:15 PM   #39
Z OH 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenZLE View Post
Brand new, my ZLE was like this so I took it in for alignment and it wouldnt align to specs. I bought all BMR on car adjustable bars and that solved the problem. BTW, if using bars with a heim end, buy rubber boots to cover them or they will start creaking. Also, dont use petroleum based lube or it will swell the teflon lining in them also causing them to creak.
You can also use WD-40 Gel Lube to prevent any creaking and it will help keep dirt out. It lasts for a very long time as well, you could re-spray them again every 1-2 years.
Old 05-11-2024, 03:40 PM   #40
GreenZLE

Drives: 2020 Rally Green ZL1-1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z OH 6 View Post
You can also use WD-40 Gel Lube to prevent any creaking and it will help keep dirt out. It lasts for a very long time as well, you could re-spray them again every 1-2 years.

I'm surprised these companies dont give details about lubrication and dust covers on their heim ends. I thought you simply bolt em on and forget them because nothing in the instructions said otherwise. They started creaking so I used some lube on them but they progressively got worse and worse over a few months. Eventually, nothing stopped them from squeaking. When I called BMR and talked to a tech, he said to only use Super Lube silicone on them and buy the appropriate sized rubber boot from somewhere like Summit. I did just that on the replacement ends because if the same thing happened again, I wanted to have a leg to stand on.

I'll say this though, BMR gave me a price break on all them heim ends. I think I wound up buying 12 altogether.
GreenZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2024, 04:01 PM   #41
Z OH 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenZLE View Post
I'm surprised these companies dont give details about lubrication and dust covers on their heim ends. I thought you simply bolt em on and forget them because nothing in the instructions said otherwise. They started creaking so I used some lube on them but they progressively got worse and worse over a few months. Eventually, nothing stopped them from squeaking. When I called BMR and talked to a tech, he said to only use Super Lube silicone on them and buy the appropriate sized rubber boot from somewhere like Summit. I did just that on the replacement ends because if the same thing happened again, I wanted to have a leg to stand on.

I'll say this though, BMR gave me a price break on all them heim ends. I think I wound up buying 12 altogether.
WD-40 Gel Lube worked for me on my previous car. It had all BMR adjustable suspension and the creaking drove me nuts. Sprayed all the joints with gel lube and never heard a peep out of them again. That stuff is good stuff. Only product I use from WD-40.