Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-08-2023, 07:16 AM   #1
Bwramos

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Temperature Gauge/AC Issue

Hey guys, hoping for some diagnosis assistance.

I have a 2016 SS with just under 50k miles. It’ll go weeks (and has gone months) without being driven, which I think could have contributed to the issue.

It’s becoming more frequent, but it’s starting to exhibit the following conditions simultaneously:

-Water temp gauge will not work; it stays zeroed out
-AC will not work
-Engine fan will remain running after car is turned off

Occasionally, mid-drive, or upon restarting the car, this problem will go away and the temp gauge will work and the AC will work

I owned a 1990 Camaro about 10-15 years ago and did a ton of work on it; this sounds like a thermostat issue (which is funny because as an 18 year old kid I had so many water temperature issues with that damn car and here I am 15 years later with the same problems - throwback to thirdgen.org), but I’ve been out of the game for a while since I ‘grew up’ and got reliable cars.

I appreciate any feedback.
Bwramos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 08:26 AM   #2
TP2SS

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwramos View Post
Hey guys, hoping for some diagnosis assistance.

I have a 2016 SS with just under 50k miles. It’ll go weeks (and has gone months) without being driven, which I think could have contributed to the issue.

It’s becoming more frequent, but it’s starting to exhibit the following conditions simultaneously:

-Water temp gauge will not work; it stays zeroed out
-AC will not work
-Engine fan will remain running after car is turned off

Occasionally, mid-drive, or upon restarting the car, this problem will go away and the temp gauge will work and the AC will work

I owned a 1990 Camaro about 10-15 years ago and did a ton of work on it; this sounds like a thermostat issue (which is funny because as an 18 year old kid I had so many water temperature issues with that damn car and here I am 15 years later with the same problems - throwback to thirdgen.org), but I’ve been out of the game for a while since I ‘grew up’ and got reliable cars.

I appreciate any feedback.
This is a somewhat common issue and has been discussed here many times. It's likely your temp sensor, but could be thermostat.
If the ECU isn't getting a temp from the sensor, it goes into a sort of failure mode exactly like you have. Fan runs on high all the time and stays on for awhile after engine is turned off, A/C may not work. Given that you say the gauge is intermittent, I'd say it's the sensor and not the 'stat.
Magnetic Ride Control
Dual Mode Exhaust
2019+ version Split Spoke Silver Wheels
Navigation
Silver Rally Stripes
TP2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 09:27 AM   #3
Bwramos

Quote:
Originally Posted by TP2SS View Post
This is a somewhat common issue and has been discussed here many times. It's likely your temp sensor, but could be thermostat.
If the ECU isn't getting a temp from the sensor, it goes into a sort of failure mode exactly like you have. Fan runs on high all the time and stays on for awhile after engine is turned off, A/C may not work. Given that you say the gauge is intermittent, I'd say it's the sensor and not the 'stat.
Awesome. Thanks. And by temp sensor, you’re referring to the coolant temperature sensor, correct?
Old 05-08-2023, 10:08 AM   #4
TP2SS

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Awesome. Thanks. And by temp sensor, you’re referring to the coolant temperature sensor, correct?
Correct. Could also be a sensor connection in your case since it's intermittent.
Try cleaning the connector and terminals on the sensor. Also look for a kinked wire near the connector on the sensor. If all that is good, you could buy a new sensor and plug it in without actually installing it first. If your gauge works and fan doesn't run on high, good bet it's the sensor. Guessing the sensor body may have to be grounded, but not 100% about that. Clamp it in a jumper cable that's connected to the engine to be sure if you do that test.
Magnetic Ride Control
Dual Mode Exhaust
2019+ version Split Spoke Silver Wheels
Navigation
Silver Rally Stripes
TP2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 02:15 PM   #5
Bwramos

If the problem corrects itself intermittently, e.g. the temp gauge comes back alive, AC works, and fan stops running constantly, would that be more indicative that the issue is the thermostat?
Old 05-05-2024, 07:59 PM   #6
CamaroJim56
Obsessed

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS RS
Good think you have the SS, I hear the V6 is a pain...

Had the same issue, paid someone to replace both sensor and thermostat, figured might as well do both. Works great now.

2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
CamaroJim56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 08:02 PM   #7
CamaroJim56
Obsessed

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS RS
Sensor price not bad compared to thermostat.

Quotes to replace mine were outrageous, paid a custom shop $175 to come to my house and do it.

Quote:
If the problem corrects itself intermittently, e.g. the temp gauge comes back alive, AC works, and fan stops running constantly, would that be more indicative that the issue is the thermostat?

2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
CamaroJim56 is offline   Reply With Quote