Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-02-2024, 10:38 AM   #1
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Supercharger Lid Shootout

Not my video but it seems the test was well executed from a scientific standpoint compared to most comparisons.

Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 01:11 PM   #2
Megahurtz
Snackbar Tuning

Drives: 2023 SGM ZL1
But no dyno graphs to see if the differences were just the normal spikes and dips on a dyno vs actually seeing a gain or loss across the whole range. Either way they are all within the range of dyno error. But interesting none the less.
Old 05-02-2024, 01:19 PM   #3
Z OH 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megahurtz View Post
But no dyno graphs to see if the differences were just the normal spikes and dips on a dyno vs actually seeing a gain or loss across the whole range. Either way they are all within the range of dyno error. But interesting none the less.
Honestly, there's not enough power gain there to even justify buying a lid for that alone but most people should know that. Most people buy them for the look and for the sound. I do think on a car with more mods the power gains may become a little more significant but I wouldn't expect more than 10-12whp or so.
Old 05-02-2024, 01:31 PM   #4
ZPirate

Drives: 2023 Summit White Camaro ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z OH 6 View Post
Honestly, there's not enough power gain there to even justify buying a lid for that alone but most people should know that. Most people buy them for the look and for the sound. I do think on a car with more mods the power gains may become a little more significant but I wouldn't expect more than 10-12whp or so.
I agree. After watching the video when it first came out a couple of weeks ago I came to the same conclusion. Unless you have extensive mods, an aftermarket lid makes very little power. The stock supercharger and manifolds (headers) aren't going to allow but so much power gains.
2022 Rapid Blue 1SS 1LE M6 (delivered 2/19/22) (Sold)
2009 BMW 135i (Sold)
ZPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 01:57 PM   #5
Z OH 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPirate View Post
I agree. After watching the video when it first came out a couple of weeks ago I came to the same conclusion. Unless you have extensive mods, an aftermarket lid makes very little power. The stock supercharger and manifolds (headers) aren't going to allow but so much power gains.
In fairness, you could make the same argument about a Rotofab intake. Very little power on a stock car but with more mods, even FBO, it starts to pay dividends.
Old 05-02-2024, 02:55 PM   #6
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
from last week my comment was it's about as worthwhile as a CAI. (sarcasm). Though I have a rotafab it's for sound and looks.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 03:10 PM   #7
JBones81

Drives: 22 ZL1, 18 RS3, 22 M3P
yea, that was a good video. I saw it last week and asked which lid made the most sound difference. He said he could not tell in the shop, but would do a comparison outside and see which one is the go-to for blower whine.
Instagram - @JBsCars
JBones81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 03:19 PM   #8
pauly1119

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Eric from Florida High Performance is the person that made this video. He is a great guy and really knows his stuff. His shop is local to me.
pauly1119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 03:44 PM   #9
Megahurtz
Snackbar Tuning

Drives: 2023 SGM ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z OH 6 View Post
In fairness, you could make the same argument about a Rotofab intake. Very little power on a stock car but with more mods, even FBO, it starts to pay dividends.
I agree. I've got E50 cars with a 2.3 upper & headers running a drop in filter on the stock airbox pulling draggy times equal or faster than the same setup plus a rotofab. It's just not a restriction yet. Now add a 103/107/112TB and a ported blower and the stock airbox will become a restriction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauly1119 View Post
Eric from Florida High Performance is the person that made this video. He is a great guy and really knows his stuff. His shop is local to me.
Yup I've spoken with him before. He's been around here longer than he's had his current shop open. His shop is very close to me. Always seen good things from him.
Old 05-02-2024, 03:51 PM   #10
pauly1119

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megahurtz View Post
I agree. I've got E50 cars with a 2.3 upper & headers running a drop in filter on the stock airbox pulling draggy times equal or faster than the same setup plus a rotofab. It's just not a restriction yet. Now add a 103/107/112TB and a ported blower and the stock airbox will become a restriction.

Yup I've spoken with him before. He's been around here longer than he's had his current shop open. His shop is very close to me. Always seen good things from him.
Yes he first worked on my Gen5 Camaro years back.
pauly1119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 04:10 PM   #11
G2K
@Blackmamba_1LE

Drives: 2017 1LE
So, knowing the owner as my last setup was built by him and his shop.

The general idea of this video is to put information out there as im sure many of his customers or just simple as a shop over they probably receive the same question so many times. So, some testing was done.

In my opinion gains are so minimal that anything can affect the result but does get the doubt or question out of the way. Even if like in this case it seems they are all the same.

Also in a scenario he states the vendor says car should gain 20-25hp... dyno proved it wasnt the case. So more good data.

At the end of the dyno, i appreciate the data as Im also one of those customers that is always evaluating deferent options when purchasing a product. Good to have a non-bias review/testing.
Old 05-02-2024, 04:38 PM   #12
Z OH 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2K View Post
So, knowing the owner as my last setup was built by him and his shop.

The general idea of this video is to put information out there as im sure many of his customers or just simple as a shop over they probably receive the same question so many times. So, some testing was done.

In my opinion gains are so minimal that anything can affect the result but does get the doubt or question out of the way. Even if like in this case it seems they are all the same.

Also in a scenario he states the vendor says car should gain 20-25hp... dyno proved it wasnt the case. So more good data.

At the end of the dyno, i appreciate the data as Im also one of those customers that is always evaluating deferent options when purchasing a product. Good to have a non-bias review/testing.
DSX never specified the scenario in which 20-25hp(not whp) could be gained. There are scenarios where it's possible especially replacing a 2015-2016 Z06 lid which was very restrictive. Dave at DSX has been very clear though on several FB groups that there's no power to be gained in most scenarios.
Old 05-02-2024, 04:39 PM   #13
swisstyphoon
Former GM Technician

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10, 06 Silverado Duramax
Most underrated channel imho. Erik is a really nice guy and puts out awesome videos. I know him from years ago when I was living in Florida. He owned a badass C6 Z06 back then, and I still remember the look on the face of that cocky Mercedes driver we left at a light. :-) good times!
Rotofab Big Gulp, Nick Williams 103, Magnuson 2650, 9.17" (14%) lower, 90mm upper, Vengeance Racing Heads (LME) Cam Package (Cammotion Stage 1), Johnson Lifters, JMS Voltage Booster, Lingenfelter high flow check valve, BBK shorty headers, Custom 2.75" down pipes, Gesi Gen2 high flow cats, MM catch can 791whp, 772ft-lbs SAE
Just added 30% XDI Injectors, LPE big bore hpfp, Flex fuel.
Elite tuning, results coming soon.

2006 Silverado Duramax Diesel
MPI Compound Turbo
40% over Injectors
Efi Live DSP5 Tuning

Follow me on Instagram: Swisstyphoon1980
swisstyphoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 06:50 PM   #14
AZIROC

Drives: '86 IROC-Z '18 ZL1
No dyno... no care.

It's like all the other companies that do a dyno...but of course use the small lid z06 and then their own lid and are shocked there is a change.
AZIROC is offline   Reply With Quote