Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 03-01-2024, 07:15 PM   #71
Coded4SS

Drives: 2020 1SS 1le
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
This thread is about Camaro theft (in CA), not general vehicle theft, and the astounding 1100% increase thereof, not absolute levels, indicating a very serious short term negative trend. The statistics you linked to are not relevant in this context.
Actually your wrong. This thread is not about California. Its about LA a city in california and not the whole state. LAPD covers a single city, and references the city (not even the county). So since it dosn't apply to the state, it couldnt be a state law but a city issue. But of course you read this thread and everyone has to sell their cars and values will drop because of one city in the nation. Way to dismiss reality. Thefts happen everywhere and camaros will be stolen everywhere. If you believe driving across the state border will prevent your car from being stolen your huffing
Coded4SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 07:29 PM   #72
Capricio

Drives: 2000 WS6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coded4SS View Post
Actually your wrong. This thread is not about California. Its about LA a city in california and not the whole state. LAPD covers a single city, and references the city (not even the county). So since it dosn't apply to the state, it couldnt be a state law but a city issue. But of course you read this thread and everyone has to sell their cars and values will drop because of one city in the nation. Way to dismiss reality. Thefts happen everywhere and camaros will be stolen everywhere. If you believe driving across the state border will prevent your car from being stolen your huffing
Crime is more pervasive where there are no consequences for it.

What I took from the thread is there are vulnerabilities in our cars and we need to consider taking countermeasures to thwart some kids with a tool from Amazon.

https://jalopnik.com/chevy-camaro-th...gel-1851301664

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...ith-clone-fobs

The technology to clone key fobs is commercially available, and with a little bit of tech wizardry even a high school youth can become a skilled thief of technology-dependent cars, Green said. Investigators say that thieves can generate replacement keys in less than three minutes with the right program and hardware.
Capricio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 07:44 PM   #73
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Right, I made a typo (CA vs LA) that I won't fix now in my post so as not to distort reality .

Your new point isn't really consistent either, though: you say "because of one city in the nation" as if this was a highly localized issue, then two sentences later you say driving out of LA won't prevent our cars from being stolen... of course the issue is the ease of this "operation" once lowlifes figure out how low the barrier of entry has become. That is what I see being discussed in this thread, with the occasional and completely understandable flare-ups of passion. The typical way difficult topics are discussed, nothing wrong with it.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 08:04 PM   #74
Coded4SS

Drives: 2020 1SS 1le
Quote:
Right, I made a typo (CA vs LA) that I won't fix now in my post so as not to distort reality .

Your new point isn't really consistent either, though: you say "because of one city in the nation" as if this was a highly localized issue, then two sentences later you say driving out of LA won't prevent our cars from being stolen... of course the issue is the ease of this "operation" once lowlifes figure out how low the barrier of entry has become. That is what I see being discussed in this thread, with the occasional and completely understandable flare-ups of passion. The typical way difficult topics are discussed, nothing wrong with it.

"because of one city in the nation" exactly, its a story about one city in the nation, not the state as you said replying to your previous post. "This thread is about Camaro theft (in CA)" The point is its a city and not a reflection on the whole state as many like to presume. But yes all good to have a discussion.
Coded4SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 08:26 PM   #75
JSH

Drives: '20 ZLE
Park in a garage, lock manually, take the ignition or fp relay with you
JSH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 11:16 PM   #76
MyNameIs

Drives: Camaro SS
What makes the Camaro easy to steal?
MyNameIs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 11:23 PM   #77
MyNameIs

Article says...."They say owners can do things like use fuel cut-off systems and steering wheel locks, and look into aftermarket devices that can stop key fob transmitter signals."

Who makes an aftermarket device to stop transmitter signals?

And yes I agree everyone should flood GMs customer service line next week to come up with a fix for this shit quick!
Old 03-01-2024, 11:35 PM   #78
MyNameIs

Quote:
Originally Posted by weekend_cruiser View Post
Thanks for the insight. I recently installed a dummy OBD port with pass through power on my car and it's also garaged. I am now dreading the prospect that full coverage insurance on the Camaro will be too high soon or insurance companies will start marking it as non-insurable and I will be forced to sell
Call GM next week and demand they fix this sh!t. I am.
Old 03-01-2024, 11:39 PM   #79
MyNameIs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEnthusiast View Post
I made my voice heard. Called and said it only takes 5 minutes to reprogram a key to steal Camaros right now and we need a software update. He didn't even know it was that easy. Said he'd pass the note along.

I'm doing my part, how 'bout you?
I'm calling them Monday. Keep flooding the lines they will be forced to respond if they want to keep selling cars.
Old 03-02-2024, 10:19 AM   #80
weekend_cruiser

Drives: 23' 2SS 1LE M6;19' Sierra 1500 AT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIs View Post
I'm calling them Monday. Keep flooding the lines they will be forced to respond if they want to keep selling cars.
Playing devil's advocate. GM has stopped making the camaro so not being able to sell I don't think is a concern for them. From what I understand, C7 corvette also has the same susceptibility but GM stopped making that too. Imo, the most realistic chance we have of GM issuing a fix from factory is if the same issue plagues currently manufactured and sold models, eg. CT5-V BW (I don't know if it's affected though). I think the C8 is a different architecture so maybe not affected?

Imagine if customers buying new C8s or CT5-V BWs from the dealerships were not able to get full coverage insurance which would mean no sale. That would for sure get GM's attention.

Me personally my insurance renewal is coming up in a few months. I fully expect it to go through the roof. I think TX camaro thefts is also pretty bad (Dallas probably is the worst in TX). Depending on how bad things are come summer, I might consider selling and getting something else.
weekend_cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 10:24 AM   #81
weekend_cruiser

Drives: 23' 2SS 1LE M6;19' Sierra 1500 AT4
There has been a lot of these posted on reddit. Here is the latest from someone who got relieved of his https://www.reddit.com/r/camaro/comm...n_2020_ss_1le/

I think we are past the point of fearmongering .
weekend_cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 11:12 AM   #82
Capricio

Drives: 2000 WS6
The cost to develop a software solution and preserve customer brand loyalty can be offset by the savings of not having to deal with a costly settlement later.
Capricio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 11:29 AM   #83
MT-SS1LE

Drives: 2023 SS 1LE Sharkskin
Damn, glad I don't drive mine daily and it is in my garage when not driven. Still, I would worry about leaving it anywhere out of sight at this point. I'll be contacting GM too because if insurance becomes prohibitive I'll dump it, though I would hate to do it.
MT-SS1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 11:30 AM   #84
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
man this thread LOL
Per amount of cars/people per state. CA isn't the top in auto thefts
https://www.statista.com/statistics/...e-us-by-state/
The bellyaching about California by people who don't even live in California is political noise, including the people who actually live there and complain about it; one wonders why they don't move somewhere else. The Camaro isn't even in the top 10 stolen cars yet the topic is being discussed like the Camaro has ascended to the most stolen car in America and we're at risk of losing our insurance coverage.

It's worth taking note, however, and people who live in LA county should be extra vigilant. Others should take notice as well, as OBD-port and RFID theft is on the rise.

This to me feels like a level-headed approach, but I'm sure someone will tell me I'm wrong. It's the path I'm taking; I don't live in LA county.

Quote:
This thread is about Camaro theft (in CA), not general vehicle theft, and the astounding 1100% increase thereof, not absolute levels, indicating a very serious short term negative trend. The statistics you linked to are not relevant in this context.
It's like when my doctor says eating bacon increases my chance of a heart attack by 1,000%. But bacon as a single factor not expressed as a percentage increase of risk from .000001 to .001. I'd like to see what the actual risk of threat is, instead of swallowing the potentially sensationalist statistic used to garner clicks and reads in order to make my own choices.

If parking in a garage at night and not living in neighborhoods of East LA lower my risk 10,000%, I think I'm ahead.
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote