Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-10-2023, 04:31 PM   #1
boolinSS

Drives: chevrolet camaro
Help chasing ticking noise from drivers side

Been chasing this ticking noise coming from the driver side of the car on my 2017 camaro SS manual i over revved the car while racing like like a dummy and ever since i got this ticking noise. Took apart the valve cover everything looked fine checked the pushrods and could clearly see one was bent the rest looked fine so i replaced that one bent pushrod along with that rocker arm i also replaced the lifters on the driver side just to be safe even though they looked fine AND i even replaced the VLOM just because. Started it back up and it still has the exact same ticking noise I also checked the camshaft through the valley while spinning the engine and it looked fine. Open to ANY suggestions at this point havent been able to drive my car for 3 months
boolinSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 05:48 PM   #2
CalgaryZL1

Drives: 2020 Chevy Camaro ZL1
You might need to be more specific, are you talking about driver side under the hood or driver side in general? It could be an exhaust leak? without getting into more detail of the noise you are hearing it’s hard to online diagnose
CalgaryZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 09:54 PM   #3
boolinSS

Driver side under the hood it kinda sounds like it is coming from the top end of the motor but i’m not sure. It is definitely not an exhaust leak it really sounds a lot like a lifter tick if i had to describe it but the lifters were replaced!
Old 12-11-2023, 03:39 AM   #4
CalgaryZL1

Drives: 2020 Chevy Camaro ZL1
I would get an automotive stethoscope and probe around your motor to zero in on noise, see if it brings you back to the valves and which one
CalgaryZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2023, 01:11 PM   #5
boolinSS

Wouldn’t a bent valve cause a misfire? The car has no misfires and runs just fine just has a really loud tick that was not there before i over revved it
Old 12-11-2023, 02:45 PM   #6
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
What about the springs and the rest of the rocker arms?

Have you bore-scoped it to verify there was no malice in the combustion palace (i.e. PTV contact, etc.)? Rods usually only bend when there is a PTV violation... and rarely is the damage just to one rod (and rocker). So you may have bent a valve and done some Bad_Things(TM) to the other springs when it all went afloatin'. A tear down to short block is needed, IMO.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 07:18 AM   #7
Nookz

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
It might sound really random (because it is), but check if it's the hood release cable.
Had a ticking noise that was driving me crazy as well, and it had completeley disappeard after I had fixated said cable with two straps.
Nookz is offline   Reply With Quote