Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers

AWE Tuning

Old 11-22-2023, 10:43 PM   #29
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post
Same here, but I didn't buy my 2SS until EVERY one of my obligations was paid off and I had 0 debt... I paid off my house and the next month ordered a 2SS and paid cash for it... I just wouldn't have been able to sleep at night piling on debt for a "fun car" that I VERY certainly did NOT "need" at the time... I always made sure ALL of my obligations were covered well before spending money on a car I didn't need (Max'ed out 401k, paid off house, zero other debt, etc), I can tell you, it makes owning a "fun" car FAR less stressful... I've had my car nearly 4 years now and am very comfortable with it sitting in the garage weeks at a time if the weather is bad or I have other things going on, I drive it on my schedule, not because I have to...

Just bought new wheels and tires for it in Sept... Wife had nothing to say (fully funded retirement, paid off house, no debt, etc)... Everything is taken care of... But until that point, I wouldn't have spent the money... I realize tomorrow may never come, but if it does, I certainly want the assets to live/retire VERY comfortably... If tomorrow doesn't come, well, my kids are going to get a damn nice inheritance...

Don't mean to be a party pooper, but that is what got me to where I am today... Which allowed me to have the things I want and to be able to walk away from a very good paying job (if I wanted to) at as young as 50 or so... I love my car, but I love my financial freedom far more...

But I do love my car...
Very respectable and wise financial approach, Captain. Unfortunately even with the mortgage paid off, you still have property taxes, so one is never 100% debt free (I bet San Diego extorts at least $15-20K a year on a normal house), but of course if you have enough savings already, it's a technicality.

The tougher question for younger folks is whether that day you're enjoying now will ever come to them, or they'll be looking at age 60-65-70 with knees messed up and no longer able to use the clutch, hips not exactly having a party when getting out of the car, or even the perspective of simply no fun cars in the market by then. As with everything, it's about the perfect balance for each individual.

But this is all off topic, so I'll just pipe down at this point

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 11:20 PM   #30
Camfab

Drives: ‘23 ZL1-1LE
Congratulations on your new toy, sell the two other Camaro’s problem solved.
Camfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2023, 12:00 AM   #31
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
Very respectable and wise financial approach, Captain. Unfortunately even with the mortgage paid off, you still have property taxes, so one is never 100% debt free (I bet San Diego extorts at least $15-20K a year on a normal house), but of course if you have enough savings already, it's a technicality.
Believe it or not, my property taxes are about $11,000/yr (on a 3,500+ sq ft house), fortunately we bought in the housing crash of 2011 so our house has more than tripled in value but due to California laws (one of the few that is actually nice) our taxes can only go up a couple percent per year... Now the next person who owns my house will likely be paying around $24,000/yr... (However this house placed back in the Chicago suburbs where I moved from, at it's current value would have property taxes of around $54,000/yr!!! )

I consider property taxes an "expense" not "debt" because they never go away, debt can go away, expenses don't, so it is an ongoing expense...
After delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph... BOTH are a lot of fun to operate...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2023, 01:21 AM   #32
JoeCamaro444

Drives: 2018 2SS M6 Hot Wheels Camaro
Congrats!! So glad u pulled the trigger! Can’t wait to see pics.

I’m 48, and I’m in my last Camaro ever, and I’m keeping it until I can’t shift and drive it anymore. I’m hoping that is at age 80 plus! lol

I’d get into more of my story on it, but it’s late. lol
Please check out my signature, to see my Camaro history. 🤘🏼
1988 IROC-Z (tons of mods), 1995 Z28, 1998 Z28, 2006 GTO, 2010 Camaro 1SS, 2015 Subaru STI, a couple Acuras and multiple Jeeps.
JoeCamaro444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2023, 01:41 AM   #33
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camfab View Post
Congratulations on your new toy, sell the two other Camaro’s problem solved.
Well... THIS! The 6th Gen will be the absolute BEST Camaro you've ever owned, the others may have nostalgia, this one has looks and absolute performance...
After delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph... BOTH are a lot of fun to operate...
Old 11-23-2023, 08:23 AM   #34
pwj155

Drives: Chevy Equinox, Radiant Red LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen6 View Post
Alright, I took the good advice from members on this forum.

I’m finishing up at the dealer as I write this, and I’m bringing home a 2023 1SS 6-speed in Summit White this evening.

Pics and intro tomorrow when I get it home and properly cleaned up!

This feels good. Im stoked!
Congratulations enjoy your new wheels!
pwj155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2023, 09:01 AM   #35
sklippi2018

Drives: 2023 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Same here, but I didn't buy my 2SS until EVERY one of my obligations was paid off and I had 0 debt... I paid off my house and the next month ordered a 2SS and paid cash for it... I just wouldn't have been able to sleep at night piling on debt for a "fun car" that I VERY certainly did NOT "need" at the time... I always made sure ALL of my obligations were covered well before spending money on a car I didn't need (Max'ed out 401k, paid off house, zero other debt, etc), I can tell you, it makes owning a "fun" car FAR less stressful... I've had my car nearly 4 years now and am very comfortable with it sitting in the garage weeks at a time if the weather is bad or I have other things going on, I drive it on my schedule, not because I have to...

Just bought new wheels and tires for it in Sept... Wife had nothing to say (fully funded retirement, paid off house, no debt, etc)... Everything is taken care of... But until that point, I wouldn't have spent the money... I realize tomorrow may never come, but if it does, I certainly want the assets to live/retire VERY comfortably... If tomorrow doesn't come, well, my kids are going to get a damn nice inheritance...

Don't mean to be a party pooper, but that is what got me to where I am today... Which allowed me to have the things I want and to be able to walk away from a very good paying job (if I wanted to) at as young as 50 or so... I love my car, but I love my financial freedom far more...

But I do love my car...
Very Dave Ramseyesque! Well said.

Can't wait to see the pics of your new ride!
sklippi2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2023, 09:45 AM   #36
raidator

Drives: 24 2SS CE M6 convertible
Quote:

But I do love my car...
"best laid plans"...
Im just short of 5-oh & my plan was pay off the house in a year or so, then pad the 'mattress fund' and buy the toys, then GM said not so fast ending production this year... so I started digging & found this site, started working with local dealers to try and get an allocation (I passed on 3 because of restrictions GM didn't let me get what I wanted from where I wanted) once the end of allocations was near I started scrounging chevy site & was calling every dealer that had CE's hoping I'd find one that wasn't a pre-sold order... after about a week I found 3, but only 1 was local & it was a 3LT A10 coupe, (I was looking for 2SS convertible M6). I moved on & found an A10 convertible about 500 miles away, but didnt have everything I wanted, but it was available so I put $ down on it, about 2 hours later I hit refresh, (in my mind if I'm going to drop the $, I'm getting what I want and I wasn't going to settle) and found the one I would bring home... 1200 miles away, it had everything I wanted and a few more options. The journey to get it home was interesting to say the least, but it makes for a good story (too long to tell here, lol) I was in a similar boat $-wise, I could have paid cash, but with high interest savings acct and the rate I got from credit union, it would only cost me ~$700 over 5 years in interest (as long as the rates stay up) I put gap ins on the note, so while I'm upside down if something happens to it, I'm back to 0 and can go find another, and I keep my cash liquid, which is like a win-win in my book... To the OP, glad you pulled the trigger, like my concert going friends always say... buy the tickets.
raidator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2023, 10:56 AM   #37
m6-lt1

Drives: 2023 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
The tougher question for younger folks is whether that day you're enjoying now will ever come to them, or they'll be looking at age 60-65-70 with knees messed up and no longer able to use the clutch, hips not exactly having a party when getting out of the car, or even the perspective of simply no fun cars in the market by then. As with everything, it's about the perfect balance for each individual.

But this is all off topic, so I'll just pipe down at this point
The other issue for younger guys like me is these types of cars aren’t going to exist by the time our homes are paid off. I bought my brand new 2ss 1le because I don’t believe I’d be able to get something as fun in 15-20 years.

Prior:
2016 Camaro 1SS
2007 Mustang GT
2008 Civic Si
m6-lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2023, 03:38 PM   #38
Evergreen6
Banned

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
Here is the result, posted a few pics over in the Summit White thread.

Linky
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2023, 04:01 PM   #39
ralfabco

Drives: Jeep, Wrangler
Congrats ^^^. Looking good. No 20 y/o’s with a Camaro? So many old farts buying a Camaro. Knocking on 60 y/o and all my cars have a 6spd manual - including the DD. Funny I thought I was the only old fart buying a Camaro - a high school kid’s dream ride. It’s a sad day if Luby’s parking lot is loaded with 1LE 6spd cars. The go to place to pick up geriatric chicks. I’m a Highway Star.
ralfabco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2023, 04:29 PM   #40
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralfabco View Post
Congrats ^^^. Looking good. No 20 y/o’s with a Camaro? So many old farts buying a Camaro. Knocking on 60 y/o and all my cars have a 6spd manual - including the DD. Funny I thought I was the only old fart buying a Camaro - a high school kid’s dream ride. It’s a sad day if Luby’s parking lot is loaded with 1LE 6spd cars. The go to place to pick up geriatric chicks. I’m a Highway Star.
Lots of older guys buying Camaros, bought mine 4 years ago when I was 51...

Old 11-23-2023, 04:31 PM   #41
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen6 View Post
Here is the result, posted a few pics over in the Summit White thread.

Linky
Looks great! If you don't like the brake dust and do not plan to track your car, switch your pads to PowerStop Z26 pads, you'll eliminate about 90+% of the brake dust...

Old 11-23-2023, 05:12 PM   #42
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Lots of older guys buying Camaros, bought mine 4 years ago when I was 51...
Who ya calling old, Captain 50 is the new 25

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote