Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 10-19-2023, 09:53 AM   #71
SOCAL.M6.ZLE
Having FUN in the SUN...

Drives: 2022 M6 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid_blue_zl1_22 View Post
I feel like aluminum would be the better choice as well. The whole point of the OEM bar (Which is aluminum) is to absorb the impact, and not transmit the force onto the frame rails/cabin of the car. If this was made from aluminum, it would crumple more like OEM making it safer. The stronger steel/chromoly would essentially put more force into the frame rails/cabin causing more damage. Also, why not bolt the bar on like the OEM bar, meaning, drill the front holes larger for the bolt/washer to pass through the front part of the bar and only connect the back side to the frame rail? With the current design, with the bolt tightened down, the bolts are sandwiching/ deforming the bar. I could see that potentially causing the bolts to back out over time.

I am interested in one as well, but I have a bumper tank for my chiller currently. I could probably swap to a fender tank instead though. I love the design and idea of opening up the front end for more airflow.
Thanks for taking the time to reply and share your thoughts. I agree, aluminum would be lighter, but due to the massive design change, load transfer angles, and cantilever effect, going steel seemed appropriate.

Seeing the side profile and radius of the OEM bar, its clear why they made this out of a one piece aluminum extrusion. Due to the sharp angular changes made in my design, in order to allow the new structure to essentially disappear, required smaller and stronger tube.

This is the balance or form vs. function. I did not want my solution to be visible from the front of the car, nor block any portion of the HX. This is very tricky to do with the space available.

I would disagree with the notion that this design is so strong that all of the impact force would be transferred to the frame. I believe the tubular bars would deflect and bend under force... but its clear once you have the front clip off, how fragile everything is up front... I can only imagine that a 10 mph impact would be bad news for the entire front end...

Clearly, the OEM bars works best if impact resistance is your top priority. I am absolutely leaning far towards form in this equation, but not so much that i was comfortable ditching the bar all together like others have done, or installing a single hoop with no tow hook, or air channeling solutions.

Please keep the feedback coming, I really think this concept fills a need, looks amazing, and as I just found out, makes it easy to install a custom K40 Radar + Laser system
Attached Images

ALL the BMR Read End Goodies + BMR Motor Mounts + JRE Terminator Cam Package + Big Gulp + GMS High Flow Crash Bar
DMS Front HX + Fender Tank + FIC 30's + APEX SM.10's + TOYO 305/345 R888R's = 775rwhp 815rwtq @E55 13.5psi
SOCAL.M6.ZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 10:58 AM   #72
Rapid_blue_zl1_22

Drives: 2022 Rapid Blue ZL1
I think the design is perfect as is, I am just saying use the exact sizes and dimensions you have currently just made from aluminum instead. Would there be a cost increase for aluminum?

I love that you added the ducting side covers as well, they will really help draw the air into the center stack.

Performance: Kong X-Port OEM blower, 1 7/8" TSP headers (Polydyn coated), Corsa Intake/X-pipe/NPP Exhaust, LT5 95MM TB, DSX FlexFuel sensor, Dedicated Motorsports inline fuel filter / fender tank, Katech Dual fuel pump, WeaponX Boost freeze chiller, WeaponX center and aux HX, PWR oil cooler, Elite E-2X catch can, and Griffin Motorsports front crash bar. Tuned by Pat G 731 WHP on a Mustang Dyno.

Suspension/Brakes: Eibach lowering springs, Vorshlag camber plates, Full SPL rear control arms, DSC Sport suspension controller, Blackwing F/R brake cooling ducts.
Rapid_blue_zl1_22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 11:21 AM   #73
1wraith76

Drives: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOCAL.M6.ZLE View Post
Keep in mind... the upper and lower hoops will be one piece, no seams, and they will pass through the face of the vertical rec.tube.

This is a balancing act for sure. Trying to balance the weight, with cost, and aero.

The image below, would be the only additional bracing that would not block the lower oil cooler, or interfere with the current air deflectors... this would add another 2lbs and approx. $250 +/- to the cost... Perhaps I can make this addition optional.

Who else wants to be on the list for one of the first batch?
Please add me.
1wraith76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 11:40 AM   #74
SOCAL.M6.ZLE
Having FUN in the SUN...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid_blue_zl1_22 View Post
I think the design is perfect as is, I am just saying use the exact sizes and dimensions you have currently just made from aluminum instead. Would there be a cost increase for aluminum?

I love that you added the ducting side covers as well, they will really help draw the air into the center stack.

Thank you! I agree, the custom air deflectors look, fit and work perfect. Once the crash bar is removed, it opens several pockets for air collection, and exposes some unsightly areas, so it plays a big role in the form and function of the upgrade!

Aluminum would cost a little more... maybe 15% ?
ALL the BMR Read End Goodies + BMR Motor Mounts + JRE Terminator Cam Package + Big Gulp + GMS High Flow Crash Bar
DMS Front HX + Fender Tank + FIC 30's + APEX SM.10's + TOYO 305/345 R888R's = 775rwhp 815rwtq @E55 13.5psi
Old 10-19-2023, 11:41 AM   #75
SOCAL.M6.ZLE
Having FUN in the SUN...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1wraith76 View Post
Please add me.

Done! and thank you !!!
Old 10-19-2023, 11:43 AM   #76
SOCAL.M6.ZLE
Having FUN in the SUN...

Order List:

1. Z OH 6
2. ZLElvira
3. ZL1…SON
4. H018871
5. CamOnlyJabroni
6. blahson
7. 1wraith76

I only need a few more to run the first batch of 10...
Anyone else want one?
Old 10-19-2023, 05:43 PM   #77
ZL1...SON

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOCAL.M6.ZLE View Post
Order List:

1. Z OH 6
2. ZLElvira
3. ZL1…SON
4. H018871
5. CamOnlyJabroni
6. blahson
7. 1wraith76

I only need a few more to run the first batch of 10...
Anyone else want one?

I'm probably out on this round. Need to spend the money elsewhere, currently.

Looking like a great design, though.
Rotofab CAI, Banks Idash, AEM X series wideband, CSP 2" headers, Jet hot 2500 ceramic coating, DSX Flex Fuel Sensor, DMS Fender Tank, Velossatech Big Mouth, JMS Fuel Booster, MPI Billet Lid, Jokerz race port, 2.30" upper, 107mm Soler TB, 160°F Billet DMS, Big Gulp, LPE Big Bore HPFP, XDI +30, ECM & TCM tuned by Elite Tuned, Atturo 315 AZ850DR
ZL1...SON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 07:52 PM   #78
CamOnlyJabroni

Drives: 19’ ZL1 A10 / 16’ C7Z M7
Not sure how I missed this thread. Ordered a Cordes crash bar last week.
CamOnlyJabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 08:09 PM   #79
SOCAL.M6.ZLE
Having FUN in the SUN...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamOnlyJabroni View Post
Not sure how I missed this thread. Ordered a Cordes crash bar last week.

No worries... you can always upgrade later if you dont feel like that one fits the need.

Last edited by SOCAL.M6.ZLE; 10-27-2023 at 04:12 PM.
Old 10-19-2023, 08:51 PM   #80
20Bluezl1

Drives: 2020 Zl1 A10 Riverside Blue
What was the price not painted?
20Bluezl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2023, 07:54 AM   #81
SOCAL.M6.ZLE
Having FUN in the SUN...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20Bluezl1 View Post
What was the price not painted?

I think i can deduct $100 for no primer or paint...
Old 10-20-2023, 02:28 PM   #82
CalgaryZL1

Drives: 2020 Chevy Camaro ZL1
If I lived in the lower 48 I would be all over it! but being from Canada it would not be economically feasible. It would cost me about $10,000 with shipping. well not really but kind of. My best bet would be you to ship it in pcs for a more compact shipping package and I assemble myself. But me being a welder/ fabricator, I could simply just make my own. I can’t wait to see all the install pictures once everybody has their orders delivered.
CalgaryZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2023, 03:20 PM   #83
SOCAL.M6.ZLE
Having FUN in the SUN...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryZL1 View Post
If I lived in the lower 48 I would be all over it! but being from Canada it would not be economically feasible. It would cost me about $10,000 with shipping. well not really but kind of. My best bet would be you to ship it in pcs for a more compact shipping package and I assemble myself. But me being a welder/ fabricator, I could simply just make my own. I can’t wait to see all the install pictures once everybody has their orders delivered.

I like the idea of "builder kit" !
If you want me to send you all of the cut pieces, and custom wind deflectors, you could easily weld yourself! Let me know

I agree, shipping would be alot less.
Old 10-27-2023, 04:15 PM   #84
SOCAL.M6.ZLE
Having FUN in the SUN...

Current Order List:

1. Z OH 6
2. ZLElvira
3. ZL1…SON
4. H018871
5. 1wraith76
6. blahson
7. DennyOfficial
8. DennyOfficial

I only need TWO MORE to run the first batch of 10...
Who else wants one???

I am ready to work on these for you, just need TWO MORE