#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 09-09-2023, 08:48 AM   #127
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palutz View Post
Everyone should know what a muscle car is for … that’s like having a hot gf but you only look at her and keep her pristine for the next guy.
Right, but you do know how many people buy these cars and never take them to a drag strip or track? The vast majority.
Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2023, 12:19 PM   #128
HemiDave

Drives: ZLE/DEMON/GLADIATOR/GSXR1000R/ZX10R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z OH 6 View Post
Right, but you do know how many people buy these cars and never take them to a drag strip or track? The vast majority.
Exactly.

Which is why checking the "Track Pack Box" on a GT500, Viper, ZL1 etc is not the prohibiting factor for a prospective buyer .

Everyone checks over a car for proper care and condition.
Doesn't matter if its a Kia or Ferrari.

2018 Dodge Demon #1399
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon 6 speed manual
2023 ZL1 1LE 6 speed manual
2018 Suzuki GSXR 1000R
2021 Kawasaki ZX10R
HemiDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2023, 01:41 PM   #129
Mike818

Drives: 5.0 Fox, Lancer Evos (8,X),23 ZLE?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HemiDave View Post
Exactly.

Which is why checking the "Track Pack Box" on a GT500, Viper, ZL1 etc is not the prohibiting factor for a prospective buyer .

Sure kick the tires, that will reveal all the secrets.

In reality almost nobody is qualified to do an inspection on the most basic of vehicles, let alone something as highly engineered as a ZLE.

I wouldn't even consider buying a used ZLE without having a P.P.I. done by an expert.
Mike818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2023, 02:12 PM   #130
Z OH 6

Quote:
Exactly.

Is for SOME people.
Old 09-09-2023, 03:03 PM   #131
HemiDave

Drives: ZLE/DEMON/GLADIATOR/GSXR1000R/ZX10R
Quote:
Is for SOME people.
True, but you could literally say "some people" about anything.

2018 Dodge Demon #1399
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon 6 speed manual
2023 ZL1 1LE 6 speed manual
2018 Suzuki GSXR 1000R
2021 Kawasaki ZX10R
HemiDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2023, 04:40 PM   #132
Z OH 6

Quote:
True, but you could literally say "some people" about anything.
Doesn't make it not true though. Keep in mind just because I said the vast majority do not track or drag their cars doesn't mean that all potential buyers believe that's the case. Case in point, look how many people choose to buy a new performance car instead of used because they don't want to take a chance on the history of the car. Happens every day.
Old 09-09-2023, 04:56 PM   #133
NG329

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Doesn't make it not true though. Keep in mind just because I said the vast majority do not track or drag their cars doesn't mean that all potential buyers believe that's the case. Case in point, look how many people choose to buy a new performance car instead of used because they don't want to take a chance on the history of the car. Happens every day.
That's true. The funny thing is, the hit they take on the depreciation of a new car is the same if not worse than the funds they'd have to spend to bring a slightly used car back to near new levels. Then factor in the interest on the higher cost of the new car if they're financing. I had a friend who preached this to me but he would always tell me that a Certified Pre-Owned 1-3 year old car is always a better buy than a brand new one.
NG329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2023, 05:38 PM   #134
Z06ZLE

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by NG329 View Post
That's true. The funny thing is, the hit they take on the depreciation of a new car is the same if not worse than the funds they'd have to spend to bring a slightly used car back to near new levels. Then factor in the interest on the higher cost of the new car if they're financing. I had a friend who preached this to me but he would always tell me that a Certified Pre-Owned 1-3 year old car is always a better buy than a brand new one.
I used to buy used chiefly as a function of affordability, but now that I’m older with a little more disposable income, I buy new - even if there is a premium attached to it. I don’t want to sit in someone’s else’s farts.

Also…if it’s a performance car, tracked or not, 99.99% chance it’s been driven hard.
2014 Mustang GT
2012 Yamaha R1
2011 Corvette Z06
2008 Corvette Z06
2007 Yamaha R6

Daily: 2015 BMW i3
Z06ZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2023, 05:45 PM   #135
Camfab

Drives: ‘23 ZL1-1LE
I’d say the depreciation deal was true up until the last few years. If you want a new ZLE your window is just about closed for good. So the game is a bit different now. Trying to win is usually a losing proposition, because at least in CA , new car taxes and fees can add up to 10k on a loaded ZLE or Convertible ZL1. Ten years ago and beyond if you drove your 40k car off the lot, it was 30k the next day. Getting 63k for a 2020 car with some miles, that was mid fifties with all the incentives is a hell of a good number in my book.
Six months from now, ten years from is anyone’s guess.
Camfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2023, 05:53 PM   #136
NG329

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06ZLE View Post
I used to buy used chiefly as a function of affordability, but now that I’m older with a little more disposable income, I buy new - even if there is a premium attached to it. I don’t want to sit in someone’s else’s farts.

Also…if it’s a performance car, tracked or not, 99.99% chance it’s been driven hard.
Whoever buys my white car will be much better off owning it which has literally had the oil changed every other weekend, vs the garage queen that's only had its oil changed once per season. Cars driven hard are actually better for the engine. The piston rings seal properly, the engine loosens up, valve lash tightens, and overall the car drives better than a car that has been babied.

If you don't mind taking the hit on a new car then it's a nice experience. However, as you surely know, new cars have issues too. Just head over and read the C8 Z06 forum from time to time.
Old 09-09-2023, 05:53 PM   #137
Camfab

As far as track pack cars go, across every manufacturer, from the beginning of time, they always bring in the most money. Same car same condition equals more money in the collector market.
Old 09-09-2023, 05:55 PM   #138
NG329

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camfab View Post
I’d say the depreciation deal was true up until the last few years. If you want a new ZLE your window is just about closed for good. So the game is a bit different now. Trying to win is usually a losing proposition, because at least in CA , new car taxes and fees can add up to 10k on a loaded ZLE or Convertible ZL1. Ten years ago and beyond if you drove your 40k car off the lot, it was 30k the next day. Getting 63k for a 2020 car with some miles, that was mid fifties with all the incentives is a hell of a good number in my book.
You're absolutely right. Things are changing now. Probably due to the supply chain constraints, and the EV movement.
Old 09-09-2023, 05:57 PM   #139
Camfab

NG329 I’m sure your car is in excellent mechanical condition, and the person buying your car will likely be someone who appreciates the way you took care of your car. If I was in the secondary market I’d be more likely to look at your car than a typical street car that’s been modded and tuned.
Old 09-09-2023, 06:28 PM   #140
Z OH 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camfab View Post
Might be difficult to get a new 1LE now but there's plenty of used 1LEs available with depreciation.