Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 08-29-2023, 10:33 AM   #253
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
It's almost shocking how fast the gauge falls after running E' for the first time. I knew it was going to increase to a certain degree, but it was still a bit of a surprise to actually see it.

OH WELL!!! At least it's a lot cheaper than our crap 91.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2023, 02:17 PM   #254
2023_ZL1-AUTO

Drives: 2023 ZL1 - Modified All Bolt On's
Quote:
Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
Excuse my ignorance, but aside from the extra wine the lid provides, is there any other advantage aside from looks?
For my application, 2023 ZL1, probably nothing more than looks and extra sound !
2023 ZL1 Auto - CSP 2" Long Tubes by Stainless Works | Gesi G-Sport High Flow CATs | Stainless Works Legend NPP Axle Back | Roto-Fab Big Gulp | Kong NM103mm | Kong X-Port | Griptech 2.3" Upper | ATI Super Damper w/9.45" (18%) Lower | TooHigh PSI Port Injection w/Siemens 875cc Injectors | Brisk RR14S Plugs | Granatelli Malevolent Coil Packs | Katech Low Profile Billet Valve Covers | Katech Duel Fuel Pump System | MightyMouse Wild 1000HP CC | DSX Flex Fuel Kit | DSX Billet Lid | DMS 2gal Fender Tank | Unlocked T93 TCM | NT555R2's 285/305 | Katech Tuned | Straight E85 = 784rwhp / 678rwtq @ 19psi
2023_ZL1-AUTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2023, 02:37 PM   #255
2023_ZL1-AUTO

Quick Update on the catch can and oil polling up in supercharger issue: So, as pointed out to me by Camaro1973, the issue was related to vacuum pulling excess oil/vapor back through the catch can and into the intake under boost. After working with Elite (they have been excellent) and emailing Mike at Katech. It was confirmed that Katech valve covers don't have internal baffles, thus, and as Camaro1973 pointed out. I needed a restrictor in line on the clean side port. So I could order the needed restrictor from Elite and install it. But, this doesn't solve the entire issues as Elite support pointed out in great detail. The stock EVAP box is connected directly to each of the Katech valve cover PCV ports, which don't have baffles. I guess Katech must be running some sort of "vacuum" pump to prevent this on their builds? Regardless, I decided to go with a set of new DSX valve covers that have internal baffles. Kind of whish I would have know more about the mechanics of how all this works before I originally order what I did.

Quick Update on my Flex Fuel Tune: For my remote re-tune and flex fuel adjustments. Ted Jannetty, Sr. worked his magic! We are solid on E60 for my setup! Car runs great and the exhaust pop and crack are mostly gone, unless it's a high RPM decal, then it pops cracks a small amount. I hope to get a local dyno run and see what kind of HP I'm at!
Attached Images

2023 ZL1 Auto - CSP 2" Long Tubes by Stainless Works | Gesi G-Sport High Flow CATs | Stainless Works Legend NPP Axle Back | Roto-Fab Big Gulp | Kong NM103mm | Kong X-Port | Griptech 2.3" Upper | ATI Super Damper w/9.45" (18%) Lower | TooHigh PSI Port Injection w/Siemens 875cc Injectors | Brisk RR14S Plugs | Granatelli Malevolent Coil Packs | Katech Low Profile Billet Valve Covers | Katech Duel Fuel Pump System | MightyMouse Wild 1000HP CC | DSX Flex Fuel Kit | DSX Billet Lid | DMS 2gal Fender Tank | Unlocked T93 TCM | NT555R2's 285/305 | Katech Tuned | Straight E85 = 784rwhp / 678rwtq @ 19psi

Last edited by 2023_ZL1-AUTO; 09-05-2023 at 02:47 PM.
Old 09-05-2023, 02:50 PM   #256
SOCAL.M6.ZLE
Having FUN in the SUN...

Drives: 2022 M6 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2023_ZL1-AUTO View Post
Quick Update on the catch can and oil polling up in supercharger issue: So, as pointed out to me by Camaro1973, the issue was related to vacuum pulling excess oil/vapor back through the catch can and into the intake under boost. After working with Elite (they have been excellent) and emailing Mike at Katech. It was confirmed that Katech valve covers don't have internal baffles, thus, and as Camaro1973 pointed out. I needed a restrictor in line on the clean side port. So I could order the needed restrictor from Elite and install it. But, this doesn't solve the entire issues as Elite support pointed out in great detail. The stock EVAP box is connected directly to each of the Katech valve cover PCV ports, which don't have baffles. I guess Katech must be running some sort of "vacuum" pump to prevent this on their builds? Regardless, I decided to go with a set of new DSX valve covers that have internal baffles. Kind of whish I would have know more about the mechanics of how all this works before I originally order what I did.

Quick Update on my Flex Fuel Tune: For my remote re-tune and flex fuel adjustments. Ted Jannetty, Sr. worked his magic! We are solid on E60 for my setup! Car runs great and the exhaust pop and crack are mostly gone, unless it's a high RPM decal, then it pops cracks a small amount. I hope to get a local dyno run and see what kind of HP I'm at!

Great write up... thanks for the update, i also installed a restrictor on my MM set up, and since then, oil is pulled into the system about 80% less than it did without it.

Looking forward to seeing your dyno numbers!
ALL the BMR Read End Goodies + BMR Motor Mounts + JRE Terminator Cam Package + FIC 30 + DMS Front HX + Fender Tank
GMS High Flow Impact Bar + GMS Stage II Oil Cooler + GMS Stage III HX System = 770rwhp 815rwtq @E55 13.5psi
SOCAL.M6.ZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2023, 05:45 PM   #257
Camfab

Drives: ‘23 ZL1-1LE
So 19 pages in, would you still have gone down this rabbit hole? Honestly it’s painful to read. I feel bad for you, yet you keep throwing more money at it.
Camfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2023, 06:23 PM   #258
2023_ZL1-AUTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camfab View Post
So 19 pages in, would you still have gone down this rabbit hole? Honestly it’s painful to read. I feel bad for you, yet you keep throwing more money at it.
Honestly! Yes, but no! I should of went the route I first considered after buying my car and deciding I wanted it modified. My first thought was to take my ZL1 to shop that specialized in this stuff such as CSP, RPM, Jannetty or Katech from the beginning. But no shops are close to me, I guess Katech is the closest, about 4 hours. I would have also done a stage 3 or a stage 4 right from the get go! But I was so on the fence about touching oil and that's what made me decide to go the route of FBO mods. But seriously, I didn't know all the little things that didn't work together, or how to do certain things, but more importantly what not to do. Like not knowing how to remove the steering wheel correctly and keep the clock coil spring in place or how to be careful and not accidently cut a harness wire that's in a tight hard to access area when I needed to repair it, or even DON'T OVER TIGHTEN the bolts that connect the long tube headers to the ultra flow CATs etc. or any exhaust bolts for that matter. The best decision I made along this route, was to have Andrew at CSP Racing and Ted Sr. at Jannetty do my tunes. However, I have to admit, I do have a bit of self accomplishment when I see all the work I did and complete and driving my ZL1 with NO CHECK ENGINE LIGHT on!

Take Care!

Last edited by 2023_ZL1-AUTO; 09-06-2023 at 06:17 AM.
Old 09-05-2023, 07:12 PM   #259
CalgaryZL1

Drives: 2020 Chevy Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOCAL.M6.ZLE View Post
Great write up... thanks for the update, i also installed a restrictor on my MM set up, and since then, oil is pulled into the system about 80% less than it did without it.

Looking forward to seeing your dyno numbers!
Hey guys great information! What diameter restrictor did you guys use, something like a .1875 id/ 3/16”? I think it is a good thing to have in line even with stock motor.
CalgaryZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 10:28 AM   #260
SOCAL.M6.ZLE
Having FUN in the SUN...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryZL1 View Post
Hey guys great information! What diameter restrictor did you guys use, something like a .1875 id/ 3/16”? I think it is a good thing to have in line even with stock motor.

This is what MM sent me... It was installed on the CC vacuum line side.

Hope this helps... Side note... MM was great at helping me through this trouble shooting and adjustment.
Attached Images

ALL the BMR Read End Goodies + BMR Motor Mounts + JRE Terminator Cam Package + FIC 30 + DMS Front HX + Fender Tank
GMS High Flow Impact Bar + GMS Stage II Oil Cooler + GMS Stage III HX System = 770rwhp 815rwtq @E55 13.5psi
Old 09-06-2023, 03:28 PM   #261
SOCAL.M6.ZLE
Having FUN in the SUN...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
Excuse my ignorance, but aside from the extra wine the lid provides, is there any other advantage aside from looks?

There are some videos showing gains on higher HP cars... I did mine for the looks and sound, if it helps on the HP it was a bonus IMO.
Old 09-06-2023, 03:35 PM   #262
SOCAL.M6.ZLE
Having FUN in the SUN...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camfab View Post
Jumping in if I may... your message reads like it came from someone absent any desire to modify a car, which is ok, but news flash, forums like these were designed for the DIY types, that enjoy working, upgrading, and fixing their cars as much as they love to drive them. and YES, that always involves at least one good shoulder... for all the money throwing

Unlike you, I feel "proud" of the OP more than "sorry". He rolled up his sleeves, and I am sure loved most of the process. Better yet, he takes the time to share his experience... even the mistakes, so the next reader may not have too.
Cheers to modding, sharing and learning from one another.
Old 09-06-2023, 06:41 PM   #263
RobZL1
fo'shizZL1

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Jumping in if I may... your message reads like it came from someone absent any desire to modify a car, which is ok, but news flash, forums like these were designed for the DIY types, that enjoy working, upgrading, and fixing their cars as much as they love to drive them. and YES, that always involves at least one good shoulder... for all the money throwing

Unlike you, I feel "proud" of the OP more than "sorry". He rolled up his sleeves, and I am sure loved most of the process. Better yet, he takes the time to share his experience... even the mistakes, so the next reader may not have too.
Amen, brother!

Past Rides-
2014 ZL1 M6 Red Hot | Tons of mods
2004 CTS-V M6 Silver | Many mods
1995 Corvette M6 Torch Red | A few more mods
1992 Camaro M5 White | A few mods
RobZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 10:21 AM   #264
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZL1 View Post
Amen, brother!
+2. Thank you for sharing and educating.

Good Lord... 30* of timing after all the modifiers?! SHEESH!!! You're "only" at around 1.26g (average of those logs) of cylinder airmass I see, but wow. I wonder what JRE is commanding at higher airmass. I'm only commanding about 25-26* where I'm at (total - around 1.55-1.60, before the new upper I just added) for E75. WHEW!!! I haven't seen many tunes, so maybe this isn't that big a deal. What's your cam timing at, if you don't mind sharing? I'm typically running about 5*, but am playing with up to about 7* @ WOT. I start getting knock above that (well - that was on about a 94-octane blend of gas and about 21-22*).

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 10:53 AM   #265
Turbo_Jet

Drives: 2019 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
+3. A big THANKS to everyone that had taken the time, money, wins/loses and efforts on educating us with their builds. I've learned a lot!
Turbo_Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 11:22 AM   #266
ZL1...SON

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post

Good Lord... 30* of timing after all the modifiers?! SHEESH!!! You're "only" at around 1.26g (average of those logs) of cylinder airmass I see, but wow. I wonder what JRE is commanding at higher airmass. I'm only commanding about 25-26* where I'm at (total - around 1.55-1.60, before the new upper I just added) for E75. WHEW!!! I haven't seen many tunes, so maybe this isn't that big a deal. What's your cam timing at, if you don't mind sharing? I'm typically running about 5*, but am playing with up to about 7* @ WOT. I start getting knock above that (well - that was on about a 94-octane blend of gas and about 21-22*).
I was thinking the same thing about that timing, but I am far from an expert on LT motors. On E50, I'm around 23° ish
Rotofab CAI, Banks Idash, AEM X series wideband, CSP 2" headers, Jet hot 2500 ceramic coating, DSX Flex Fuel Sensor, DMS Fender Tank, Velossatech Big Mouth, JMS Fuel Booster, MPI Billet Lid, Jokerz race port, 2.30" upper, 107mm Soler TB, 160°F Billet DMS, Big Gulp, LPE Big Bore HPFP, XDI +30, ECM & TCM tuned by Elite Tuned, BMR Cradle Lockouts, Atturo 315 AZ850DR
ZL1...SON is offline   Reply With Quote