#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 08-13-2023, 07:56 AM   #15
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOCAL.M6.ZLE View Post
This is awesome, but no photos on there website of it installed?
Does anyone have a photo of this installed? Seems like it would still be visible?
On a ZL1 I suspect you’re right. But it’s very small…maybe 1” tubing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evansa22 View Post
Saving 7.7lbs over the nose alone seems worth it to me at that price. Every little weigh savings you can do on these cars helps. Seriously considering one after seeing that.
You don’t save 7.7 pounds, it’s less the 2 pounds weight savings. The Cordes site is incorrect about that. OEM one is 8.0 pounds Cordes one is just over 6.0 pounds. It’s really for people running bigger intercoolers. I don’t have one so I didn’t need to do this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid_blue_zl1_22 View Post
I didn't know this existed. Thanks! I will show this to my buddy so he can get one for his car.
Old 08-13-2023, 08:54 AM   #16
Evansa22

Drives: HBM ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshinator99 View Post
On a ZL1 I suspect you’re right. But it’s very small…maybe 1” tubing.

You don’t save 7.7 pounds, it’s less the 2 pounds weight savings. The Cordes site is incorrect about that. OEM one is 8.0 pounds Cordes one is just over 6.0 pounds. It’s really for people running bigger intercoolers. I don’t have one so I didn’t need to do this.

Well ain't that some b.s. Glad I didn't order one just yet. See you have one, did you weigh it? Or weight on shipping box?
Evansa22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 08:56 AM   #17
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Well ain't that some b.s. Glad I didn't order one just yet. See you have one, did you weigh it? Or weight on shipping box?
Come in now, you know me better than that. Everything is weighed on a commercial refrigerant scale. Extremely accurate. I weighed the OEM bar then the Cordes one back to back. You’ll see a little weight savings but it’s more for the room it gives you up front. Since I don’t have an intercooler it doesn’t matter lol.
Old 08-13-2023, 09:05 AM   #18
sr71bb

Drives: 2019 Camaro Z-28
taht
Quote:
Saving 7.7lbs over the nose alone seems worth it to me at that price. Every little weigh savings you can do on these cars helps. Seriously considering one after seeing that.
OK I emailed CORDES for verification because something is WRONG here in that it CANT save 7.7 pounds over the stock crash bar assuming the stock one weighs 8 pounds. That would mean this chromoly bar weight just .3 pounds???

Also even the CORDES bar WILL be visible thru the grill. That's why they say they can powdercoat it at additional charge for you. I will verify that with Cordes also.

If you have any concern over crash protection, the stock aluminum crash bar will absorb MORE energy that that single chromoly bar will. No doubt though that the chromoly bar is MUCH better than nothing.
https://youtu.be/c9M5UHDftcA
4-15-23 at SCCA TT U1 Class

MEGA Thread on THIS car:
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=602092

Retired Cars BELOW:
1973 Camaro, 1969 Camaro, 1969 Camaro SS RS
2010 Camaro SS with 1000HP F1R, 2019 ZL1 1LE A10
sr71bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 10:46 AM   #19
Evansa22

Drives: HBM ZLE
Quote:
Come in now, you know me better than that. Everything is weighed on a commercial refrigerant scale. Extremely accurate. I weighed the OEM bar then the Cordes one back to back. You’ll see a little weight savings but it’s more for the room it gives you up front. Since I don’t have an intercooler it doesn’t matter lol.
Well I know you a little better now
Good stuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr71bb View Post
taht

OK I emailed CORDES for verification because something is WRONG here in that it CANT save 7.7 pounds over the stock crash bar assuming the stock one weighs 8 pounds. That would mean this chromoly bar weight just .3 pounds???

Also even the CORDES bar WILL be visible thru the grill. That's why they say they can powdercoat it at additional charge for you. I will verify that with Cordes also.

If you have any concern over crash protection, the stock aluminum crash bar will absorb MORE energy that that single chromoly bar will. No doubt though that the chromoly bar is MUCH better than nothing.
Good call, actually sent them an email yesterday also. Good info on the energy absorption. That bar is probably designed into the crash protection system so maybe best not to mess with it? Unless for certain applications, like has been stated.
Evansa22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 03:59 PM   #20
AZIROC

Drives: '86 IROC-Z '18 ZL1
Quote:

Thank you
AZIROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 05:14 PM   #21
2023_ZL1-AUTO

Drives: 2023 ZL1 - Modified All Bolt On's
Speaking of ProCharger... stock ZL1 engine with bolt on ProCharger and 2" Kooks Headers you get 225rwh??? (almost 15lbs boost)

https://youtu.be/s3zOiN1LYh0
2023 ZL1 Auto - CSP 2" Long Tubes by Stainless Works | Gesi G-Sport High Flow CATs | Stainless Works Legend NPP Axle Back | Roto-Fab Big Gulp | Kong NM103mm | Kong X-Port | Griptech 2.3" Upper | ATI Super Damper w/9.45" (18%) Lower | TooHigh PSI Port Injection w/Siemens 875cc Injectors | Brisk RR14S Plugs | Granatelli Malevolent Coil Packs | Katech Low Profile Billet Valve Covers | Katech Duel Fuel Pump System | MightyMouse Wild 1000HP CC | DSX Flex Fuel Kit | DSX Billet Lid | DMS 2gal Fender Tank | Unlocked T93 TCM | NT555R2's 285/305 | Katech Tuned | Straight E85 = 784rwhp / 678rwtq @ 19psi
2023_ZL1-AUTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 10:30 PM   #22
greyknight1le

Drives: 2021 ZLE, 2022 must GT, 2022 f250
I ordered one of those crash bars to try and increase some flow to my center coolers. It is supposed to arrive Friday. I’ll be installing in the coming weeks. I’m not sure what I’m going to do yet for a front tow hook mount as it’s required for almost any HPDE or TT sanctioning body.
greyknight1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2023, 09:07 AM   #23
clg82

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL1
I have seen where people have wrapped that front crash bar section with a type of carbon fiber wrap, i liked the look of it for the esthetics and it still keeps it there for any safety purposes. Just a thought.
Old 08-22-2023, 10:40 AM   #24
SOCAL.M6.ZLE
Having FUN in the SUN...

Drives: 2022 M6 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by greyknight1le View Post
I ordered one of those crash bars to try and increase some flow to my center coolers. It is supposed to arrive Friday. I’ll be installing in the coming weeks. I’m not sure what I’m going to do yet for a front tow hook mount as it’s required for almost any HPDE or TT sanctioning body.

Awesome, please share some photos when finished... I emailed Cordes, but they didnt have any installed photos.
ALL the BMR Read End Goodies + BMR Motor Mounts + JRE Terminator Cam Package + FIC 30 + DMS Front HX + Fender Tank
GMS High Flow Impact Bar + GMS Stage II Oil Cooler + GMS Stage III HX System = 770rwhp 815rwtq @E55 13.5psi
SOCAL.M6.ZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 11:07 AM   #25
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2023_ZL1-AUTO View Post
Speaking of ProCharger... stock ZL1 engine with bolt on ProCharger and 2" Kooks Headers you get 225rwh??? (almost 15lbs boost)

https://youtu.be/s3zOiN1LYh0
Peak power is great for winning dyno awards.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 09:34 PM   #26
greyknight1le

Drives: 2021 ZLE, 2022 must GT, 2022 f250
https://www.instagram.com/p/CwMMzqkt_AB/?img_index=1
https://www.instagram.com/p/CwMMzqkt_AB/?img_index=5
https://www.instagram.com/p/CwJaiFutumi/?img_index=1
https://www.instagram.com/p/CwJaiFutumi/?img_index=3

Everything fits great so far. the factory ducting, as it turns out, relies heavily on the stock crash bar. I had to fully duct in both aux coolers and main cooler stack. I couldn't find thicker than 3/16" plate locally so I doubled up when I made my tow hook mount. Its very study. flat towing probably would have been ok with a single piece but I winch in and out of an enclosed trailer so the double 3/16" is extra strong on an incline. the bar sits right behind the grille nicely. I had to trim a little in the center of the grille but not nearly as much as I had originally planned. I had to make in total 4 brackets to fasten some OEM ducting pieces as well as the trans cooler that also bolts directly to the factory crash bar. while I was in there I trimmed out the shroud to fully expose the trans cooler. factory blocks it off partially I assume to keep some heat in the trans in cold climate.
greyknight1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 06:58 AM   #27
ZL1...SON

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by greyknight1le View Post
https://www.instagram.com/p/CwMMzqkt_AB/?img_index=1
https://www.instagram.com/p/CwMMzqkt_AB/?img_index=5
https://www.instagram.com/p/CwJaiFutumi/?img_index=1
https://www.instagram.com/p/CwJaiFutumi/?img_index=3

Everything fits great so far. the factory ducting, as it turns out, relies heavily on the stock crash bar. I had to fully duct in both aux coolers and main cooler stack. I couldn't find thicker than 3/16" plate locally so I doubled up when I made my tow hook mount. Its very study. flat towing probably would have been ok with a single piece but I winch in and out of an enclosed trailer so the double 3/16" is extra strong on an incline. the bar sits right behind the grille nicely. I had to trim a little in the center of the grille but not nearly as much as I had originally planned. I had to make in total 4 brackets to fasten some OEM ducting pieces as well as the trans cooler that also bolts directly to the factory crash bar. while I was in there I trimmed out the shroud to fully expose the trans cooler. factory blocks it off partially I assume to keep some heat in the trans in cold climate.
Thats all very interesting and good information. Thanks. I have been considering this crash bar replacement, but am disappointed there will be a lot of finishing touches needed. Can you get frontal pic from further back with the front end put back together? I bet it looks pretty good. Ill bet that you gain probably 15% or more airflow, so it should be great for cooling.
Rotofab CAI, Banks Idash, AEM X series wideband, CSP 2" headers, Jet hot 2500 ceramic coating, DSX Flex Fuel Sensor, DMS Fender Tank, Velossatech Big Mouth, JMS Fuel Booster, MPI Billet Lid, Jokerz race port, 2.30" upper, 107mm Soler TB, 160°F Billet DMS, Big Gulp, LPE Big Bore HPFP, XDI +30, ECM & TCM tuned by Elite Tuned, BMR Cradle Lockouts, Atturo 315 AZ850DR
ZL1...SON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 07:14 AM   #28
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
That bar could also add stiffness for chassis flex, too.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote