Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-02-2023, 08:43 PM   #1
RedsRevenge48
Never satisfied :(

Drives: 73 Nova (project))
Buying a higher mileage SS?

So, first Im a newbie to 5th Gen Camaros. I have been looking for a car to replace my former 2011 GT500 that I sold 2 years ago. The 5th gen styling has really grown on me after seeing some cars lowered with aero kits.

Fun fact: a 5th gen Camaro SS had my number all the time at the now former Race Legal drags in San Diego at Quaalcom.

How are these 5th Gen SS Camaros doing at higher mileage like 130k,140k 150k miles? With my current budget and other financial commitments, a higher mileage SS will be my starting point.

Im a former Lexus master technician with nearly 15 years in the field. Making mechanical repairs or upgrades wont be an issue other than the cost of parts.

What are some things to look out for? What are some no go, do not buy kinds of issues a higher mile car may have to stay away from? While I can fix it, I dont want a major failure until Im ready to race it. I figure a new clutch/slave and pilot bearing may be needed at this mileage.

Im looking for a 2SS with manual transmission.
RedsRevenge48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 06:08 AM   #2
ABM2SS

Drives: 2010 SS M6 ABM
I bought my 2010 SS M6 new in June of 2009. 286,000 Miles. No engine issues but I'm having the transmission built now. Replaced wheel bearings, had a broken Ring Gear in my Differential, put in a new clutch when the Slave Cylinder Bearing melted. A few other minor issues but it's been pretty reliable.
ABM2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 06:16 AM   #3
102SS
waiting at the tree

Drives: SIM 2010 2SS/RS A6
These things are built like tanks.

If your tracking it you will be doing the suspension(shocks springs) anyway so that shouldn't be a concern.

The DS Hanger Bearing Front wheel bearings and the front rear lower control arms are usually the first things to go on them.

I think GM switched to an electric rack and pinion in 2012

Good luck with your hunt/search.
102SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 06:35 AM   #4
ADVMax
Sporting Foole

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Right at 150k on my 2010 SS M6. So far I’ve replaced a battery, starter, and AC blend door. Did a clutch replacement about 2500 miles ago not because it failed but rather just because it was time. They are built like a tank.

As you are a former Mustang owner it’s good to see you want to show tail lights rather than look at them.
ADVMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 06:51 AM   #5
Leadsled

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS 6MT
Bought my 2010 @ 105k, now has 127k, I haven't replaced anything I didn't WANT to. All my repairs have been a choice to mod the car! Whats great about them is, all the interchangeable parts from the ZL1 to Z28. OEM upgrades are the best!
When i did my stage 2 cam I naturally replaced most everything I took off. water pump, valve train, chain damper, and all the gaskets,
common failure is lifters, so i made time to take off the heads and replace the lifters and trays. installed a high-pressure oil pump. and naturally the rear main seal started leaking.
When I relaced the rear main. (While i was there) I replaced the clutch. It was time, but i didnt NEED to buy a clutch.

Im a very armature mechanic. And i feel like its fairly easy to work on this car!

Last edited by Leadsled; 08-03-2023 at 06:54 AM. Reason: proof reading
Leadsled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 07:28 AM   #6
Caveman_SS
Will Cave

Drives: 2010 Victory Red 2SS LS3
I just bought my 2010 2SS with a manual transmission this past May with 120,000 miles on it. It needed just a couple of things.

I had an exhaust leak from the driver's side exhaust manifold which was because the bolts holding it on to the head were loose. Easy fix there.

I also had a leaky fuel injector on bank 2 which was fixed when I put some used stock LS7 injectors on the car for a hundred bucks from a guy on Facebook Marketplace. Also, a very easy fix.

The only thing going on with it now is that it grinds going into reverse on a rare occasion, but it always goes in eventually. I feel like that might be slave cylinder time somewhat soon.
Caveman_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 08:44 AM   #7
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
Don’t be scared of higher miles, as ABM2SS, and 10SS both stated these things are tanks. The LS engines are notoriously reliable and durable. If you get an automatic that hasn’t had valve train work done I’d suggest a cam upgrade to replace the weak AFM lifters, but other than AFM the power trains in these V8 cars are exceptional. There’s a guy on here with close to 400K on his. I plan to own at least one 5th gen for the rest of my life. And I’m a pretty young guy lol. They are that bad ass in my opinion.
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 08:54 AM   #8
hawkyV8

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS 6m
I bought my 2010 SS four years ago with 180,000 miles on it. Of course I was very concerned buying such a high mileage car , let alone a performance car.

But when I drove it I couldn't believe how tight the car was. No squeaks, no rattles, no warning lights and no signs of mistreatment. Then I researched further and learned it had checked all the boxes I would want in a used car.
1. one owner, adult
2. Texas car it's whole life (completely void of any rust whatsoever)
3. bone stock

Since buying it I haven't NEEDED to replace anything. Of course I've added tons of mods to it including completely rebuilding the engine (by choice, not necessity). I track this car several times a year and it takes these beatings like a champ. I keep thinking something is going to fail but the car just continues to be up to the task.

So what I'm saying is you can get lucky. And I always prefer a newer car with high miles as opposed to an older car with low miles.
hawkyV8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 01:18 PM   #9
PaulsSS

Drives: 15SS Camaro
Any used car with 100k is a gamble. Only thing I would really be concerned with is the lifters on a automatic car. As long as you are ok with 3500- 5000 dollar bill if they crap out go for it. The rest of the car is very well built IMO. I've had very good luck with both of mine with lots of miles on both.
PaulsSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 01:58 PM   #10
Eddymel1998

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulsSS View Post
Any used car with 100k is a gamble. Only thing I would really be concerned with is the lifters on a automatic car. As long as you are ok with 3500- 5000 dollar bill if they crap out go for it. The rest of the car is very well built IMO. I've had very good luck with both of mine with lots of miles on both.
That sounds a bit high for lifters, since OP sounds like a more mechanic minded guy I think $1k to $1.5k in parts is closer but that's assuming fancy Johnson lifters, can do it much cheaper with OEM level lifters though, at least that's what I budgeted out for doing the job myself, there's also labor but for someone experienced, shouldn't take more then a day or two to remove the heads since no overhead cams to worry about. There's a reason why so many people love the LS motors and the more I work on this car the more I realize it.
Old 08-03-2023, 02:28 PM   #11
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
He actually said he wants a manual so he doesn't have to worry about the afm lifters
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 05:22 PM   #12
Eddymel1998

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS L99
Dam you're right I'm mixing up this thread with the other thread where guy is looking at buying an auto going on right now, really need to get some more sleep.
Old 08-03-2023, 05:27 PM   #13
Toronto

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
Bought my 2010 SS 6MT, around a 120k Miles or 180k KMs. Pushing 190k KMs now.

came with BBK LTs, CAI, and lowering springs. Car hasn’t caused me any significant issues other than self inflicted shit. Doing donuts in a shitty parking lot, powering steering pump blew, and other dumb shit because i let other people drive my car before i knew how to drive stick. Repairs are cheap. Mods are relatively Cheap.
Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 07:16 PM   #14
PaulsSS

Drives: 15SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddymel1998 View Post
That sounds a bit high for lifters, since OP sounds like a more mechanic minded guy I think $1k to $1.5k in parts is closer but that's assuming fancy Johnson lifters, can do it much cheaper with OEM level lifters though, at least that's what I budgeted out for doing the job myself, there's also labor but for someone experienced, shouldn't take more then a day or two to remove the heads since no overhead cams to worry about. There's a reason why so many people love the LS motors and the more I work on this car the more I realize it.
I was thinking more on the lines if they break...........you're gonna have a nasty bill.
PaulsSS is offline   Reply With Quote