#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

AWE Tuning

Old 04-14-2023, 09:42 PM   #43
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
Quote:
Originally Posted by N Camarolina View Post
I tend to hang back a little more to try to leave myself more options to avoid problems in front of me.
Exactly. Other cars might be on stickier tires than you too so their stopping distance might be shorter than yours on stock SS 1LE tires. Plus if someone's car drops oil or coolant onto the track even an experienced driver might spin or go off track.
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 09:51 PM   #44
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabjbr View Post
Although I see your point, I would add that for most cases, just continually scanning ahead would greatly lessen potential contact.

Personally, I feel comfortable getting close provided I can see ahead. It’s when theres a blind corner or crest that space seems to be smarter choice.
I agree that scanning ahead is good but you're naturally going to be focusing your vision in a different place than the location of a car several seconds ahead of you when approaching a corner.

The PDR camera position is higher than my eyes and centered so the view in the video is better than what I had in the driver's seat. If I remember correctly, the car directly in front of me blocked my view of the car that spun until after I was already on the brakes.
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 10:36 PM   #45
5.M0NSTER

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Thread revive ... a few of you guys have been posting your close calls in another thread. Please link them here, so we can all learn from fortunes of others :-)
5.M0NSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 11:00 PM   #46
Christian1LE

Drives: 2004 BMW 330CI, 2022 1SS 1LE
I had my first and hopefully last money shift during hyperfest this year. Luckily didn't stick it into the wall or destroy the engine. Decided to get a seat/harness after this incident. Using slicks and pushing the car makes you move in the seat too much. All the G's on that final turn at VIR just made me shift into 2nd instead of straight down to 4th.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/Ds-CEpDw_SA
Christian1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 11:12 PM   #47
5.M0NSTER

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian1LE View Post
I had my first and hopefully last money shift during hyperfest this year. Luckily didn't stick it into the wall or destroy the engine. Decided to get a seat/harness after this incident. Using slicks and pushing the car makes you move in the seat too much. All the G's on that final turn at VIR just made me shift into 2nd instead of straight down to 4th.

Pro level skills right there. Well done sir.
5.M0NSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2023, 08:54 AM   #48
FNxR3DNECK

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:

Man I did the exact same thing in the EXACT same spot several years ago, luckily I caught it before it broke the tires loose so I didn't have quite as wild a ride as you did. Good save man, hopefully the engine is fine!
Old 07-30-2023, 09:12 AM   #49
Dabjbr

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE
Not judging but are you guys not backhand shifting the 3-4 change? I’ve been doing so since getting this Camaro and I even do it when on city streets because I’m so accustom to it.

That said, I still occasionally struggle with the 2-3 shift! Seems like that shift can’t be rushed.

Oh and one last thing… I recommend using NLS for 3-4 changes. My belief is it reduces the motor movement when lifting and depressing throttle and in turn allows a smoother, straight-down 3-4 shift.
Dabjbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2023, 09:36 AM   #50
FNxR3DNECK

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Not judging but are you guys not backhand shifting the 3-4 change? I’ve been doing so since getting this Camaro and I even do it when on city streets because I’m so accustom to it.

That said, I still occasionally struggle with the 2-3 shift! Seems like that shift can’t be rushed.

Oh and one last thing… I recommend using NLS for 3-4 changes. My belief is it reduces the motor movement when lifting and depressing throttle and in turn allows a smoother, straight-down 3-4 shift.
I learned my lesson after that money shift at VIR (was way back in 2018 if my memory is correct), I always backhand that shift now and have never had another sketchy 3-4 shift.
Old 07-31-2023, 07:32 PM   #51
Christian1LE

Drives: 2004 BMW 330CI, 2022 1SS 1LE
Quote:

I always use NLS except for 2nd to 3rd, you're probably right that it may have had something to do with my technique, but with slick tires at VIR running 315/30/18's the gear ratio is shorter and I have to shift earlier in that corner while pulling high G's and on stock seats. I'm literally jumping around in the seat and my hand just moved into 2nd I guess. I've never shifted from 3rd to 2nd before, it's never been an issue.

I installed proper seats/belts in my car now and it's much easier to drive without having to worry about shifting into the wrong gear. I did a hill climb this weekend with a super bumpy track and it was a much better experience than what was going on at VIR.

There is a video here on the forums of someone else money shifting from 3rd to 2nd in the same type of corner (right hander) and he spins and almost hits the wall. I think it's just a mix of bad technique and improper seat restraints.

****EDIT****

Here is the video I am referencing above.

Last edited by Christian1LE; 07-31-2023 at 07:44 PM.
Christian1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 08:54 AM   #52
vangaurdtrooper

Drives: 2016 2SS 6MT
Here is my close call from 2018 during my first lap and first track event ever.
https://youtube.com/shorts/BR4H6SDW4wo?feature=share

Have been to many more events after:https://youtu.be/_GgpYIEvAN4
vangaurdtrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 03:44 PM   #53
Briland_1LE

Drives: 2020 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by vangaurdtrooper View Post

Perfect 360! thats wild
Briland_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 08:36 PM   #54
Dabjbr

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE
Quote:
I always use NLS except for 2nd to 3rd, you're probably right that it may have had something to do with my technique, but with slick tires at VIR running 315/30/18's the gear ratio is shorter and I have to shift earlier in that corner while pulling high G's and on stock seats. I'm literally jumping around in the seat and my hand just moved into 2nd I guess. I've never shifted from 3rd to 2nd before, it's never been an issue.

I installed proper seats/belts in my car now and it's much easier to drive without having to worry about shifting into the wrong gear. I did a hill climb this weekend with a super bumpy track and it was a much better experience than what was going on at VIR.

There is a video here on the forums of someone else money shifting from 3rd to 2nd in the same type of corner (right hander) and he spins and almost hits the wall. I think it's just a mix of bad technique and improper seat restraints.

****EDIT****

Here is the video I am referencing above.

Yeah, money shift on a turn no less can be additionally problematic. In fairness and honesty, i did something similar. No video but in short, I was slowing down and intentionally shifted from 3rd to 2nd while entering a hairpin. My problem was I thought I turned on rev match. I didn't. As soon as I let out the clutch, the rear lost traction and spun me around. Felt pretty stupid but hey, live and learn right!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vangaurdtrooper View Post

Man that is wild and you were moving! I can only imagine the adrenaline/fear rush!
Dabjbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2023, 11:57 AM   #55
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE M6
I had a bit of a moment at Watkins Glen last weekend. The blue 911 that you see pitting in dropped coolant on the track. I had no idea and couldn't see it at all. There was a yellow flag and a debris flag out, so I wasn't pushing at all around turn 10, however, I turned right in on the coolant which resulted in the moment you see in the video. I'm just thankful to keep her out of the wall!

The gray GT3 in front of me said he also slid, although I can't tell on video.

PPF | Paint Correction | ZL1 Addons Rock Guards | ZL1 Addons Lift Pads | ZL1 Addons Feather Lite Tow Hook | JWM Smoked Sidemarkers | Wildhammer Smoked Rear Reflectors | JWM License Plate LEDs | RotoFab CAI | ADM IC Reservoir v2 | BC Forged RZ05 | SPL Toe Arms | BW Brake Deflectors | CMS Roll Bar | Schroth Profi II ASM Harnesses
Sold: '99 Trans Am (bolt-ons & cam) | '00 WS6 (bolt-ons, heads, cam, 12 bolt) | '05 CTS-V (bolt-ons, short throw) | '10 SS/RS M6 (short throw, CAI, coilovers, LTs, catback, JRE tune) | '01 WS6

YouTube
RamAir02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 01:32 PM   #56
BanOne

Drives: 1977 Pontiac Trans Am
Close Call at Daytona

Well I maybe done doing Track Night in America. Keep running into drivers with fast cars that are not very experienced in the intermediate and advanced groups and not understanding etiquette or track dynamics. Got passed "under first lap caution" although it looks like SCCA decided to change that between the first and second session but did not tell anyone as indicated by the lights and flags. Corvette driver decided to pass without a point by and then over cooked it into the bus stop on cold tires and a damp track. Instead of taking the escape route the driver decided to remerge into the skinny part of the bus stop as I am bearing down on him. I decided we were probably going for the same real estate and bailed to his back side. Glad I only got some grass in the grill could have been much worse for both of us. Should have know to back further off, my mistake.

BanOne is offline   Reply With Quote