Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-20-2023, 11:09 AM   #1
KeyserSoze848

Drives: 2023 CAMARO 2SS
Rally stripes question

When you order a Camaro with rally stripes, are they put on during the production at the Lansing plant during painting, or do they ship it off site to have it done?
KeyserSoze848 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 11:11 AM   #2
KeyserSoze848

What I am wondering is, does it take extra time for them to put on the stripes after production is finished or is it done at the same time?
Old 06-20-2023, 01:07 PM   #3
70ls1nova

Drives: 2022 Camaro, 2014 F150, G6, 70 Nova
i have the fat black stripe that runs down the top of the length of the car and the fender stickers. My buddy's family owns the dealership and he told me his dad did all the stickers at the dealership
Old 06-20-2023, 01:14 PM   #4
KeyserSoze848

I did a little digging and it looks like they do it at the factory unless special ordered to be put on my the dealer after the fact. I just didn't know if takes them longer bc they do it after the production finishes at the plant, or if it's done at the same time.
Old 06-20-2023, 02:52 PM   #5
DallasCub

Drives: 2024 Collectors Edition 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyserSoze848 View Post
When you order a Camaro with rally stripes, are they put on during the production at the Lansing plant during painting, or do they ship it off site to have it done?
It all depends on which stripes you order. Some are done at the factory, and some are put in the trunk to be installed at the dealer. For my current Camaro, I ordered them through the Chevy website and had the dealer install them.
2015 LT RS Convertible
[2014 LT RS[/COLOR][/B]
2010 LT RS[/COLOR][/B]
DallasCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 04:23 PM   #6
KeyserSoze848

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasCub View Post
It all depends on which stripes you order. Some are done at the factory, and some are put in the trunk to be installed at the dealer. For my current Camaro, I ordered them through the Chevy website and had the dealer install them.
Regardless, it doesn't take extra time during production, right? It's either done during production at the plant or not until the dealership? I'm just starting to get impatient is all. I'm so close to getting it I can barely take it anymore
Old 06-20-2023, 04:27 PM   #7
walkerheaders

Drives: 2023 1SS Radiant A10 63 427 Impala
I ordered Radiant Red with Silver Ralley stripes and it was delivered to the dealer done. There was a point in the build codes where it was on another part of the facility. one of my thoughts was stripe addition but that's just a guess. could have been a holding yard as well.
walkerheaders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 04:57 PM   #8
LeonardS

Drives: 1969 Z28,1992 Z28,1994 Z28,1999 SS
I think any stripes installed at the factory are done at a separate facility, just like the 1LE hood. I don’t think any are installed on the assembly line.
94 Z28, Black, M6, 595 miles
92 Z28, last car built at Van Nuys Plant, Red, A4, 125 miles www.last1992camaro.com
69 Z28, Dusk Blue, M4
29 Ford Business Coupe
28 Ford Pickup
24 GMC Denali 2500HD CCSB 4x4
22 Jeep Grand Cherokee
13 Ford F150 Crew Cab 4x4
LeonardS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 05:36 PM   #9
KeyserSoze848

My dealer showed me a code breakdown today of where my car has been at the plant. I'm guessing one of those intermediate deliveries since it finished production was to the area where the rally stripes were put on. Hopefully that's the case anyways.
Attached Images

Old 06-21-2023, 03:45 PM   #10
keep_hope_alive
Electrical Engineer

Drives: 2023 1SS A10 Black
I have silver rally stripes and it was installed at the factory. Sadly, there are wrinkles in the corners and when I inquired on a warranty for them, I was discouraged from going the warranty route. In retrospect, I think it would have looked better to have an aftermarket stripe with the thin pinstriping around the outside (the classic style). But those can have the same issues if not pre-cut in which there is a visible gap around the vent opening.

FYI - this was the reply from my dealer (I appreciated their honesty):

"First, I 100% think that your defect on the stickers of your hood would be approved via GM warranty. However, in my experience I would not touch them unless it is absolutely something that you cannot live with. I have been through 3 Camaro's with collision damage that I had to replace the stickers in the past year. Not one has went smoothly for the following reasons.

1. It is a very difficult sticker that nobody at our dealership has the experience or the skill to put on properly. At the factory it is done by skilled trained professionals with a machine on the assembly line.
We have to sublet the job to a few different local companies, but have never been really happy with the results. The result has never been factory quality. Unfortunately, these companies feel like it is the best they can do and still charge no matter the results.

2. The stickers are pre-cut at the factory and ready to put on the car immediately. When we order the stickers from the factory, they have to roll them up and ship them to the dealership. By the time they get to us, they are wrinkled or damaged, or flat out unusable. My last attempt we spent 6 months getting a good sticker from the factory.(5 different
tries)

3. ALL my previous attempts were insurance collision claims. The insurance paid for multiple attempts to get it done as good as possible.
On a warranty claim they will pay for 1 attempt. If the sublet company thinks it looks good and charges us, the warranty claim is closed no matter what the result. These stickers are usually around $300.00 a sticker.

4. We did have a customer take his car to a third party and have them cut brand new stickers that were similar to the factory, however GM would not pay for it because it was a aftermarket part.

In conclusion, we have reached out to GM in the past with these sticker issues, but really got very little direction. You spent a lot of money for this car and I completely understand you want it to be right. If you would like to proceed with the claim, please contact myself or ###### (Service Manager) and he can get the claim approved and order the sticker. The car would have to be sublet out to a outside company once the sticker arrives. I would not try to get this done in the winter.
The best results would be once the weather warms up over 70 degrees.
Once it is done, their will be some air bubbles that the sun will have to bake for around 30 days. This will be a process that takes some time."

1100: 5/3/22 . . . . . . . 2000: 6/25/22 . . . . . .4000: 8/17/22 . . . . . . . 6000: 9/10/22

Daily Driver mileage update: 34k mi. @ Sept 2024
New Engine @ 22,600 mi.

Build Log: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...6#post11353116
keep_hope_alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 04:58 PM   #11
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyserSoze848 View Post
I went a different route for my rally stripes. I bought my car on the lot over 7 years ago. It did not have the silver rally stripes I wanted. I worked with the dealer and a local shop they highly recommended. That shop came to the dealership, measured the stripes on another car on the lot then cut and installed the stripes on the spot. The stripes look as good as the day installed. I’ve never had any problems with them and they look great.
Attached Images

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 06:17 PM   #12
2023ZL1
BLACK 2019 ZL1

Drives: 2007 COBALT, 2019 CAMARO ZL1
STRIPES ARE DECALS INSTALLED AT DEALERS AS LPO'S BEFORE DELIVERY TO THE CUSTOMER.
2023ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 07:43 PM   #13
Shock and Steel

Drives: 2023 Camaro Convertible 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by keep_hope_alive View Post
I have silver rally stripes and it was installed at the factory. Sadly, there are wrinkles in the corners and when I inquired on a warranty for them, I was discouraged from going the warranty route. In retrospect, I think it would have looked better to have an aftermarket stripe with the thin pinstriping around the outside (the classic style). But those can have the same issues if not pre-cut in which there is a visible gap around the vent opening.

"First, I 100% think that your defect on the stickers of your hood would be approved via GM warranty. However, in my experience I would not touch them unless it is absolutely something that you cannot live with. I have been through 3 Camaro's with collision damage that I had to replace the stickers in the past year. Not one has went smoothly for the following reasons.

1. It is a very difficult sticker that nobody at our dealership has the experience or the skill to put on properly. At the factory it is done by skilled trained professionals with a machine on the assembly line.
We have to sublet the job to a few different local companies, but have never been really happy with the results. The result has never been factory quality. Unfortunately, these companies feel like it is the best they can do and still charge no matter the results.

2. The stickers are pre-cut at the factory and ready to put on the car immediately. When we order the stickers from the factory, they have to roll them up and ship them to the dealership. By the time they get to us, they are wrinkled or damaged, or flat out unusable. My last attempt we spent 6 months getting a good sticker from the factory.(5 different
tries)

3. ALL my previous attempts were insurance collision claims. The insurance paid for multiple attempts to get it done as good as possible.
On a warranty claim they will pay for 1 attempt. If the sublet company thinks it looks good and charges us, the warranty claim is closed no matter what the result. These stickers are usually around $300.00 a sticker.

4. We did have a customer take his car to a third party and have them cut brand new stickers that were similar to the factory, however GM would not pay for it because it was a aftermarket part.

In conclusion, we have reached out to GM in the past with these sticker issues, but really got very little direction. You spent a lot of money for this car and I completely understand you want it to be right. If you would like to proceed with the claim, please contact myself or ###### (Service Manager) and he can get the claim approved and order the sticker. The car would have to be sublet out to a outside company once the sticker arrives. I would not try to get this done in the winter.
Once it is done, their will be some air bubbles that the sun will have to bake for around 30 days. This will be a process that takes some time."

Since you got that response from the dealer (mentioning they are not qualified/equipped to fix your problem), I recommend going a different route... find a business near you that wraps cars, and see if they can repair what you have, or redo the striping their way. Regardless, I bet they could do better than what you have there.
Shock and Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 09:02 AM   #14
walkerheaders

Drives: 2023 1SS Radiant A10 63 427 Impala
Quote:
Originally Posted by keep_hope_alive View Post

tries)

My Radiant hood has the EXACT same wrinkles. Not Cool. I noticed it in the winter, now it's hot out. Time to see what they say, I bet it matches what you were told. I'll report back If I get any "good news". thanks for posting this info. sorry to see you have trouble.
walkerheaders is offline   Reply With Quote