Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Regional Sections > CANADA

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-20-2023, 08:54 AM   #1
geokots

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS
Winter tire setup

I know the last thing we want to think of now are winter tires but I need to start gathering info and budgeting. I normally have a winter car but I just got my Camaro 6 weeks ago and downsized from 2 cars to 1. I do anticipate getting a second car in 1-2 years.

For the ones that do winter their car, what are you using for rims (I refuse to call them wheels) and tires. Are you using extra set of rims? Did you go down to 19" if you did?

I'm trying to decide if I want to go with 4 tires and swap them on the stock rims for 1-2 years or if budget allows to go with new rims also, probably 19" assuming they fit.

BTW, I have a 1SS.
geokots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 09:29 AM   #2
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
I use the original rims and added a set of the Michelin PA4 winter performance tire, I highly recommend these tires. Better snow performance than an all season but it's not a true snow tire or a studless snow/ice tire.
I bought a new set of rims for my summer tires and i just swap them on/off when the time comes, I can do it myself in the driveway.
For a few years I would take the car in and have the tires swapped on the rims but I opted in for the other set of rims partly because every time I would take it in I was taking some chance of wheel damage, etc etc
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 09:37 AM   #3
geokots

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteMale View Post
I use the original rims and added a set of the Michelin PA4 winter performance tire, I highly recommend these tires. Better snow performance than an all season but it's not a true snow tire or a studless snow/ice tire.
I bought a new set of rims for my summer tires and i just swap them on/off when the time comes, I can do it myself in the driveway.
For a few years I would take the car in and have the tires swapped on the rims but I opted in for the other set of rims partly because every time I would take it in I was taking some chance of wheel damage, etc etc
Thanks for your input. What you described is exactly what I did with my Mustang and will most likely do the same with this. I used the stock rims for the winter tires and got a set that I wanted for summer.

Even if I can't do it year 1, at least sticking with the same size winter tires gives me the flexibility.
geokots is offline   Reply With Quote