#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-05-2023, 06:13 PM   #1
Shawnqa800720

Drives: 2018 1SS
Camber Plate Adjustments

Hi All,

I am planning on getting Camber plates installed this season and I have a simple question. I plan on changing alignment for track days vs. daily driving, and I drive to and from track, so I plan on changing camber at the track.

Does the camber plate adjustment impact any of the other alignment specs?

Another way to ask is, do I need to get it aligned each time I change the camber plate setting between track and daily?
2018 Red Hot 1SS, GM lowering kit & 1LE Sway bar kit, ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings, BMR sway bar end links, GM CAI w/tune, Pray ported IM, Mamo ported TB, VS Forged VS07 rims 20x11 & 20x10 w/ Michelin PS4S
Shawnqa800720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 09:14 PM   #2
SHessler

Drives: 2021 1SS 1LE [Shock]
Changing the camber will change your toe-in/out.

There have been a few folks with threads on finding the perfect setting that lets them have acceptable toe with both their street and track camber plate settings.

I believe no one has found one, the toe moves too much.

Ex Spec Miata driver.
SHessler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 09:23 PM   #3
sr71bb

Drives: 2019 Camaro Z-28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnqa800720 View Post
Hi All,

I am planning on getting Camber plates installed this season and I have a simple question. I plan on changing alignment for track days vs. daily driving, and I drive to and from track, so I plan on changing camber at the track.

Does the camber plate adjustment impact any of the other alignment specs?

Another way to ask is, do I need to get it aligned each time I change the camber plate setting between track and daily?
Actually, you DONT have to change your settings from track to street alignment if you run conservative TOE IN TOE OUT settings. I use very aggressive camber settings as specified below but when I change out to my street tires (Michelin PS4S ) I run them at 40 PSI air pressure and THAT along with the TOE settings seen below makes those tires live to about 20-25K miles. It also helps that I run a square setup and I can rotate them. I run these settings ALL THE TIME.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Current Alignment.pdf (520.9 KB, 60 views)
https://youtu.be/c9M5UHDftcA
4-15-23 at SCCA TT U1 Class

MEGA Thread on THIS car:
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=602092

Retired Cars BELOW:
1973 Camaro, 1969 Camaro, 1969 Camaro SS RS
2010 Camaro SS with 1000HP F1R, 2019 ZL1 1LE A10
sr71bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 06:57 AM   #4
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
ya you don't need to worry about street and track camber or making changes, as noted, each time you adjust camber it will wreck your toe +/-. You can run "track" camber on the street without an issue.

It's toe that will destroy your tires, not camber.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 11:37 AM   #5
Shawnqa800720

Drives: 2018 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr71bb View Post
Actually, you DONT have to change your settings from track to street alignment if you run conservative TOE IN TOE OUT settings. I use very aggressive camber settings as specified below but when I change out to my street tires (Michelin PS4S ) I run them at 40 PSI air pressure and THAT along with the TOE settings seen below makes those tires live to about 20-25K miles. It also helps that I run a square setup and I can rotate them. I run these settings ALL THE TIME.

I know that when I was running toe that wasn't dead neutral I had significant "pulling" on acceleration - some threads here referred to it as wobble. This was more in the rear than the front though, and I was only running the allowable camber without plates at the time. I assume the blend of toe you are recommending and that aggressive camber will "cancel" and yield an overall neutral feel.

Do you feel any similar issues (I assume not since you're tracking the car enough and wouldn't tolerate that feel from the car). It's the only concern I have in moving away from neutral toe.
2018 Red Hot 1SS, GM lowering kit & 1LE Sway bar kit, ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings, BMR sway bar end links, GM CAI w/tune, Pray ported IM, Mamo ported TB, VS Forged VS07 rims 20x11 & 20x10 w/ Michelin PS4S
Shawnqa800720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 12:09 PM   #6
sr71bb

Drives: 2019 Camaro Z-28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnqa800720 View Post
I know that when I was running toe that wasn't dead neutral I had significant "pulling" on acceleration - some threads here referred to it as wobble. This was more in the rear than the front though, and I was only running the allowable camber without plates at the time. I assume the blend of toe you are recommending and that aggressive camber will "cancel" and yield an overall neutral feel.

Do you feel any similar issues (I assume not since you're tracking the car enough and wouldn't tolerate that feel from the car). It's the only concern I have in moving away from neutral toe.
Well I am certainly no suspension SAVANT but the guy I use to set the car up at DOGHOUSE PERFOMANCE IS (Adam Poland). He was the VERY first one to mention to me for instance that I could run the same alignment settings on street and track.

The idea behind use at least SOME toe in and toe out was to assist the car in the area of MORE response in terms of TURN-IN and TURN-OUT (exit). These settings will help keep the rear planted BETTER. It also makes the steering MORE responsive.

The car is ABSOLUTELY neutral in the handling area which was also the reasoning behind using a SQUARE tire/wheel set up. He also suggested I use HIGHER air pressure on my street tire set up (40 PSI) to help counteract some of the effects of running a very aggressive camber set up.

Since I run SLICKS at the track, they LIKE as much negative camber as you can throw at them. I typically run 23 PSI in rear and 24 PSI in the front (COLD PRESSURES).
https://youtu.be/c9M5UHDftcA
4-15-23 at SCCA TT U1 Class

MEGA Thread on THIS car:
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=602092

Retired Cars BELOW:
1973 Camaro, 1969 Camaro, 1969 Camaro SS RS
2010 Camaro SS with 1000HP F1R, 2019 ZL1 1LE A10
sr71bb is offline   Reply With Quote