Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-25-2023, 02:42 PM   #15
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by brosmar1 View Post
It has a k&n intake, how would I fix a PCV venting issue if that is the case? I did the oil change myself, everything I’ve read calls for 10 quarts and I bought 2x 5 quart bottles so I’m confident it wasn’t overfilled.
Sounds like you are new to the car, are you aware that the engine is supposed to be filled with Dexos2 oil? The 0W-40 oil you bought isn't Dexos2 because none of the Dexos2 oils are sold in 5 qt jugs.

The recommended fill is Mobil 1 0W-40 ESP Formula (or ESP x3 or "SuperCar), those are all Dexos2 approved (SuperCar is DexosR which is backwards compatible with Dexos2).

Hope this helps (this didn't cause your issue, just wanted to make you aware of the proper oil).
After delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph... BOTH are a lot of fun to operate...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 03:34 PM   #16
FlukeSS

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
well... maybe.
But as soon as he said someone else did the intake install I would be suspicious. Particularly since K&N says to plug the sound tube. Now there are people who ignore instructions, those who follow them, and some who say, "I'll just plug everything to GET MORE POWER!"
I have the same intake he does, and never had an issue. Granted it was pro shop installed. But I also don't change my own oil, I have oil shops do that. Again never had the issue.
2020 Camaro 2SS A10 | Rebuilt by: CBI Street Cars | 2" SE LT Headers | 3" SE X-Pipe | 3" MBRP Axle-Back | Pri & Sec Cat Deletes | K&N Typhoon CAI | LT2 Ported | 95mm ZR1 TB | LSA crankshaft conversion w/modified crank gear | LS1 thrust bearing | LS MSD Plug Wire Set | BTR Stage I Cam | ARP Rod Bolts | Delphi Lifter set | NGK LTR71X-11 spark plug set | DOD Delete | VVT Limiter | ECM, TCM & E85 | Retuned by: Justin L. | Dyno: 510 rwhp 472 rwtq | Best 1/4 Time: 11.639
FlukeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 04:20 PM   #17
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Crank seal will blow before the dipstick pops, and this car ain't on boost. My flawless internet diagnosis says that this is user error 100%.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 05:16 PM   #18
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
After the cam/bolt-on work on my 2010 SS were finished - I was there when the shop had it on the dyno for final tuning. On the first run right at the top end the dipstick popped lout and it blew oil mist everywhere. The tech who topped off the fluids before the run didn't fully seat the dipstick. Other than the mess the shop had to clean up from the oil mist there was no real harm done. The car used no oil nor had any noticeable blow by for the next 17K miles I owned it.

OP - my guess is the same for you - the dipstick was not fully seated.

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 07:27 PM   #19
brosmar1

Drives: 2021 2SS
I will admit this is the first time I changed the oil and I dumped all 10 quarts in. Even worse, I jacked the car from the passenger side so there's a good chance there was a bit of old oil still sitting in the pan. Well now I know 2 things not to do when changing the oil on this car!
brosmar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 08:02 PM   #20
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post
Sounds like you are new to the car, are you aware that the engine is supposed to be filled with Dexos2 oil? The 0W-40 oil you bought isn't Dexos2 because none of the Dexos2 oils are sold in 5 qt jugs.

The recommended fill is Mobil 1 0W-40 ESP Formula (or ESP x3 or "SuperCar), those are all Dexos2 approved (SuperCar is DexosR which is backwards compatible with Dexos2).

Hope this helps (this didn't cause your issue, just wanted to make you aware of the proper oil).
Quote:
Originally Posted by brosmar1 View Post
I will admit this is the first time I changed the oil and I dumped all 10 quarts in. Even worse, I jacked the car from the passenger side so there's a good chance there was a bit of old oil still sitting in the pan. Well now I know 2 things not to do when changing the oil on this car!
Hopefully 3 if you read my post regarding the oil you used...
After delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph... BOTH are a lot of fun to operate...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 10:16 PM   #21
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
When doing the oil change, did you just assume it would take all 10 quarts?

Usually I'd start with say 9 quarts, then check the dipstick to see if I need to put the full 10 quarts in, or do I just need part of the 10th quart to bring the level up to where it belongs on the dipstick.
This is unnecessary if the front end is even when you drain the oil as long as you allow it to drain thoroughly. I always put the full 10qt in and never found it to be overfilled on the dipstick afterwards.

I also saw somewhere that it is better for the engine to fill the new oil filter with fresh oil before installing it which the dealership did not do for my one free oil change.
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote