Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 01-18-2023, 09:22 PM   #1
2022csilv

Drives: 2023 Riverside Blue ZL1 A10
Heat soaking and ported blowers

Has anyone had a ported blower on their ZL1? Was there an issue with heat soaking?
2022csilv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 05:56 AM   #2
ZLE dude

Drives: '18 ZL1 1LE
Here's a bunch of threads discussing heat soak. Yes it happens and it's a very normal issue, especially if you port the blower and spin it even faster.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/searc...chid=137924590
2018 ZL1 1LE - Summit White, PDR, Rotofab CAI, 95mm TB, CSP 2" catless LT's, JMS Voltage Booster, AEM X-series WB, DSX flex fuel sensor, Banks Data Monster, Tuned by Ted Jannetty, 5% Tint, Blackvue DR900S-2CH, Diode Dynamics lighting, IGL Kenzo ceramic coating
ZLE dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 06:00 AM   #3
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2022csilv View Post
Has anyone had a ported blower on their ZL1? Was there an issue with heat soaking?
Upgrade the heat exchangers and add an additional coolant reservoir for more capacity, or install an interchiller. Heat soak is far less of an issue. All blowers heatsoak depending on what you put them through, the intercooler bricks and intercooler cooling capacity has the most impact on controlling the heat soak though.

Last edited by Z OH 6; 01-19-2023 at 06:35 AM.
Z OH 6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 06:46 AM   #4
Smokin19

Drives: 19' ZL1 A10, w/pdr
I changed out the 3 heat exchangers up front with larger capacity when I did my build and have no problems.
BTR Stg II cam w/ 38% fuel lobe, ARH 2" headers into 3" w/cats, Kong X port, Weapon X triple ht exchangers, NW 103, Rotofab big gulp, DSX lowside, TCM tune, BMR Lockout, Mustang dyno 720 rwhp, 634 rwtq on 93 pump.
Smokin19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 05:02 PM   #5
SOCAL.M6.ZLE
Having FUN in the SUN...

Drives: 2022 M6 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2022csilv View Post

I think the more accurate question is, is heat soak an issue with spinning it harder. As far as i understand, porting has zero effect of heat. The issue is that most people then crank up the boost to take advantage of the increased flow. That is where the blower gets hotter, faster ans the stock cooling system can't cool the car fast enough.

My solution was as follows.

1. Larger front HX
2. 2 Gallon Fender tank
3. Heat Reflection tape on the bottom side of the blower

I know others have had good luck with the (3) HX upgrade + Upgraded Pump.

I dont have much data for you yet on the results or benefits, but I will share when i get some. So far, the set up works great.
ALL the BMR Read End Goodies + BMR Motor Mounts + JRE Terminator Cam Package + Big Gulp + GMS High Flow Crash Bar
DMS Front HX + Fender Tank + FIC 30's + APEX SM.10's + TOYO 305/345 R888R's = 775rwhp 815rwtq @E55 13.5psi
SOCAL.M6.ZLE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 06:01 PM   #6
Z OH 6

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOCAL.M6.ZLE View Post
I think the more accurate question is, is heat soak an issue with spinning it harder. As far as i understand, porting has zero effect of heat. The issue is that most people then crank up the boost to take advantage of the increased flow. That is where the blower gets hotter, faster ans the stock cooling system can't cool the car fast enough.

My solution was as follows.

1. Larger front HX
2. 2 Gallon Fender tank
3. Heat Reflection tape on the bottom side of the blower

I know others have had good luck with the (3) HX upgrade + Upgraded Pump.

I dont have much data for you yet on the results or benefits, but I will share when i get some. So far, the set up works great.
Porting the blower will add boost which will increase heat to some degree too. Ultimately, once you exceed the thermal efficiency of the cooling bricks and the intercooler loop, temps will rise rapidly. There's no free lunch.
Old 01-19-2023, 06:14 PM   #7
Rapid_blue_zl1_22

Drives: 2022 Rapid Blue ZL1
I have a ported blower on an otherwise stock car (no tune intake and exhaust also) I haven't noticed any additional heat soak. I think the main concern is spinning the blower faster. I still have a stock size pulley for now.

Performance: Kong X-Port OEM blower, 1 7/8" TSP headers (Polydyn coated), Corsa Intake/X-pipe/NPP Exhaust, LT5 95MM TB, DSX FlexFuel sensor, Dedicated Motorsports inline fuel filter / fender tank, Katech Dual fuel pump, WeaponX Boost freeze chiller, WeaponX center and aux HX, PWR oil cooler, Elite E-2X catch can, and Griffin Motorsports front crash bar. Tuned by Pat G 731 WHP on a Mustang Dyno.

Suspension/Brakes: Eibach lowering springs, Vorshlag camber plates, Full SPL rear control arms, DSC Sport suspension controller, Blackwing F/R brake cooling ducts.
Rapid_blue_zl1_22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 08:08 PM   #8
JSH

Drives: '20 ZLE
Come on, the stock blower/engine is designed to operate in constant heat soak. If my memory is correct, close to 180F. So does a ported 1.7L, as would my current setup, if I drove it long enough.
JSH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 08:33 PM   #9
Z OH 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid_blue_zl1_22 View Post
I have a ported blower on an otherwise stock car (no tune intake and exhaust also) I haven't noticed any additional heat soak. I think the main concern is spinning the blower faster. I still have a stock size pulley for now.
As long as you dont exceed the stock cooling capacity, you won't see any heat soak. People run smaller pulley setups with the stock cooling without any issue either. When you start to run more boost though and push the blower harder, cooling needs to be upgraded. It's not ONLy about spinning the blower faster, its also about boost pressure which generates heat too.
Old 01-19-2023, 08:53 PM   #10
CW3SF

Drives: 2019 Chevy Camaro ZL1 M6
The heat increase from porting alone is minimal. Keep the stock pulleys and you won’t notice any additional heat soak. Mitigate that minimal increase with more cooling capacity and some e85. It’s a proven combo.
Kong Stage X Port, NW103, LPE HPFP, XDI +30 Injectors, ARH Headers, Flex Fuel, JMS Booster, AWE Touring, Elite E2-X CC. Stock heads, stock cam, stock pulleys: Tuned by KingLT1. 740whp Uncorrected on e50
CW3SF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 03:39 AM   #11
Z OH 6

Here's a great link that shows how much boost you can get away with before needing additional cooling. Again, whether porting or changing pullies, the stock cooling has some capacity to tolerate a mild increase in boost, but once you pass a certain point, additional cooling is strongly recommended.

https://weaponxmotorsports.com/blogs...ng-mods-needed
Old 01-20-2023, 09:06 AM   #12
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CW3SF View Post
The heat increase from porting alone is minimal. Keep the stock pulleys and you won’t notice any additional heat soak. Mitigate that minimal increase with more cooling capacity and some e85. It’s a proven combo.
Exactly.... Every X port car I have tuned makes 3-4 psi more on stock pulleys and doesn't run any hotter. I wasn't a fan of the stock blower looking from the outside in. It wasn't until I got my hands on a few X port cars that I realized it's probably the best option out there for guys that don't plan on going 1000hp. Even the standard Kong port is decent but if you are spending the money I would go X. A little softer on the hit in exchange for a stronger top end.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 10:04 AM   #13
JSH

Drives: '20 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by CW3SF View Post
The heat increase from porting alone is minimal.
Looking back at my logs, OEM and ported after 15 min. run at basically the same temps, which is to say, soaked.
JSH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 06:34 PM   #14
Rapid_blue_zl1_22

Drives: 2022 Rapid Blue ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
Looking back at my logs, OEM and ported after 15 min. run at basically the same temps, which is to say, soaked.
No one here is saying that the blower isn't heat soaked after porting. We are just saying it isn't (noticeably) any worse than stock. If you put a smaller pulley on, the heat soak will increase, just like on an un-ported car.

Performance: Kong X-Port OEM blower, 1 7/8" TSP headers (Polydyn coated), Corsa Intake/X-pipe/NPP Exhaust, LT5 95MM TB, DSX FlexFuel sensor, Dedicated Motorsports inline fuel filter / fender tank, Katech Dual fuel pump, WeaponX Boost freeze chiller, WeaponX center and aux HX, PWR oil cooler, Elite E-2X catch can, and Griffin Motorsports front crash bar. Tuned by Pat G 731 WHP on a Mustang Dyno.

Suspension/Brakes: Eibach lowering springs, Vorshlag camber plates, Full SPL rear control arms, DSC Sport suspension controller, Blackwing F/R brake cooling ducts.
Rapid_blue_zl1_22 is offline   Reply With Quote