Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 12-23-2022, 05:05 PM   #1
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
E85 & High Pressure Fuel Pump?

Yesterday while I was at the fuel station, another Camaro SS pulled up to the pump beside mine. I told the driver he had a nice car. He told me it actually wasnt his but instead he was tuning it after a full exhaust install. So we got to chatting and he asked me if I was tuned for E85.. I told him I was and he told me 'no youre not... ...the best you can get out of these cars on stock injectors and stock cam is E45.. half premium and half E-85' .. he then told me, most tuners do not monitor the high pressure fuel pump when tuning, its supposed to run ~ 2300 PSI but running full E85 he has seen to drop to as low as 300 PSI and he told me that is dangerous (and it sounds dangerous) ... he told me that at minimum you need a cam to help out the high pressure fuel pump or you risk starving the motor and detonating...

Well, I wasnt 100% sure on this but later it got cold as sin (15*F) and my car ran very crappy and misfired on cyl 3 until it got warm about 10 minutes later and started running fairly normal again. I ended up needing to refuel but when I pumped, it pumped VERY slowly... and I began to remember what that guy said while wondering if the viscosity of E-85 might be burdensom on stock equipment....

Thoughts?
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 05:44 PM   #2
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Yesterday while I was at the fuel station, another Camaro SS pulled up to the pump beside mine. I told the driver he had a nice car. He told me it actually wasnt his but instead he was tuning it after a full exhaust install. So we got to chatting and he asked me if I was tuned for E85.. I told him I was and he told me 'no youre not... ...the best you can get out of these cars on stock injectors and stock cam is E45.. half premium and half E-85' .. he then told me, most tuners do not monitor the high pressure fuel pump when tuning, its supposed to run ~ 2300 PSI but running full E85 he has seen to drop to as low as 300 PSI and he told me that is dangerous (and it sounds dangerous) ... he told me that at minimum you need a cam to help out the high pressure fuel pump or you risk starving the motor and detonating...

Well, I wasnt 100% sure on this but later it got cold as sin (15*F) and my car ran very crappy and misfired on cyl 3 until it got warm about 10 minutes later and started running fairly normal again. I ended up needing to refuel but when I pumped, it pumped VERY slowly... and I began to remember what that guy said while wondering if the viscosity of E-85 might be burdensom on stock equipment....

Thoughts?
Any tuner worth his salt is monitoring low side fuel pressure, high side rail pressure, and injector pulse width. A mostly stock LT1 car is probably fine on full E85. It’s when you start adding superchargers where the fuel system demand starts to go nuts…
Old 12-23-2022, 07:30 PM   #3
Essmotorsports

Drives: Chevy Camaro 2018
Quote:

Thoughts?
Don't go to that tuner! 🙄
Essmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 08:54 PM   #4
LT1ornothing

Drives: 2020 LT1 M6
Quote:

Thoughts?
Sounds like you were getting baited into a tune/mod proposition. The stock LT1 fuel system has been proven to handle E85 with FBO and/or heads and cam.
Old 12-24-2022, 07:09 AM   #5
laynlo15

Drives: 2022 Lt1 A10
I was able to run E85 on the stock fuel system till I added the SC and port injection. I wouldn't run full E in very cold climates as you live in. Mix down or at least add Lucas Ethanol stabilizer as I and many other do.
2022 Lt1 6.2 A10, Maggie 2300, THPSI Port Inj/10 rib, Rotofab, E, Nickey, SCOL, Griptech, RC Bandits, Hoosiers/MT 9.80@142.96 1.44 60ft, 6.34@112 707/669 RWHP/TRQ. 16SS Maggie 2650 9.41@147 1.35 60ft, 5.99@119. 16 C7 A8 10.90@128 Bolt on stuff
laynlo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2022, 08:01 AM   #6
adamjwilson

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS A10
Exactly what they said above!
Old 12-24-2022, 10:22 AM   #7
Spaceme1117

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS, 2011 Corvette GS
Quote:

Thoughts?
This guy does not know what he is talking about.

Tons of people running e85 on the stock HPFP.
Spaceme1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2022, 10:37 AM   #8
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Stock LT1 fuel system will support full E @ .88 lambda up to 580whp. NA cars generally target .88-.90. The reason why cars with boost cannot run E on stock fueling is because they have to target a much fatter afr of .82.

The guy you talked to either doesn't know what he's talking about or was trying to pray on ignorance and drum up business.

Your car likely ran crappy on cold start @ 15* ambient temp on E because there are some alcohol tables (timing and afr related) to help with those conditions that may need tweaked. Most filling stations have reduced E content in the winter for better cold starting. You could also just add some pump gas in the mix to lower E content further. Drop it back to E50 and see if its better.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2022, 02:21 PM   #9
ZO6Ted
Old badass

Drives: 14GMC 2.9 16GMC Turbos 2020Silv.6.2
39 today in Austin warming to 72 in 5 more days. This weathers been brutal for us Texans lol. Happiness a few days away.

Current build in progress 2016 GMC4x4 RCSB twin hair dryers ~1k whp fbe port inj 1/8 mi & stealth street terror
ZO6Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2022, 03:32 PM   #10
Need4Camaro

Yeah its unbelievable how cold it can get in Texas. I was more shocked by how cold it can get here than how hot it gets here.

Today the cold start wasnt as bad.
Old 12-27-2022, 08:02 AM   #11
FlukeSS

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS A10
Quote:

Thoughts?
Well,

I've gone 18 months on E85 Tune, without issue. On the road, and at the drag strip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
Stock LT1 fuel system will support full E @ .88 lambda up to 580whp. NA cars generally target .88-.90. The reason why cars with boost cannot run E on stock fueling is because they have to target a much fatter afr of .82.

The guy you talked to either doesn't know what he's talking about or was trying to pray on ignorance and drum up business.

Your car likely ran crappy on cold start @ 15* ambient temp on E because there are some alcohol tables (timing and afr related) to help with those conditions that may need tweaked. Most filling stations have reduced E content in the winter for better cold starting. You could also just add some pump gas in the mix to lower E content further. Drop it back to E50 and see if its better.
^ This

Known fact E85 in cold temps are known for rough starts. I've been mixing mine 1:2 93 and E85 and on occasion 1:4 93 and E85 had no issues with 20 degree F starts like this morning.
2020 Camaro 2SS A10 | Rebuilt by: CBI Street Cars | 2" SE LT Headers | 3" SE X-Pipe | 3" MBRP Axle-Back | Pri & Sec Cat Deletes | Roto-Fab CAI | LT2 Ported | 95mm ZR1 TB | LSA crankshaft conversion w/modified crank gear | LS1 thrust bearing | LS MSD Plug Wire Set | BTR Stage I Cam | ARP Rod Bolts | Delphi Lifter set | NGK LTR71X-11 spark plug set | DOD Delete | VVT Limiter | ECM, TCM & E85 | Retuned by: Justin L. | Dyno: 510 rwhp 472 rwtq | Best 1/4 Time: 11.639
FlukeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 02:51 PM   #12
Need4Camaro

Cold start issue turned out to be Fuel Injector #3 ... replaced it and the MIL went out and rough cold start idle stopped. It was on its way out before the E85 tune but I guess the heavier fuel demand pushed it over its limits.