#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-27-2022, 10:12 PM   #15
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by VR Baron View Post
I don’t get ice mode as I said. Not sure why and regardless of what gm says, but I will take it! Only two times I may have noticed a tiny bit, if it was, and it was more of a momentary front tire slip then re grab during braking . No hard pedal.And that was going downhill and braking at 70 through the timing lights..lol
That's great to hear, I think with the '19+ ABS I should be fine. I do think that higher speeds make it more likely, which would make sense... it makes it more likely the car will spin due to uneven braking forces.

One of the times I got it last weekend was coming through the finish and the next day it was braking into a corner, both were at ~75 mph with some steering input. At lower speeds the exact same thing wouldn't be an issue.

I have an '18 and despite it being more prone to ice mode this is the 1st and 2nd time it's happened and the 2nd time was pretty scary! In the last few races my times have been getting a good bit faster, and with all the mods my car is also a good bit faster than stock, so I just want to do everything possible to minimize the chance of ice mode occurring. Running 315/305 is a pretty minor difference vs square but if it helps keep the ABS unit out of ice mode I'd consider it a major upgrade.
Old 07-27-2022, 11:13 PM   #16
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
That's great to hear, I think with the '19+ ABS I should be fine. I do think that higher speeds make it more likely, which would make sense... it makes it more likely the car will spin due to uneven braking forces.

One of the times I got it last weekend was coming through the finish and the next day it was braking into a corner, both were at ~75 mph with some steering input. At lower speeds the exact same thing wouldn't be an issue.

I have an '18 and despite it being more prone to ice mode this is the 1st and 2nd time it's happened and the 2nd time was pretty scary! In the last few races my times have been getting a good bit faster, and with all the mods my car is also a good bit faster than stock, so I just want to do everything possible to minimize the chance of ice mode occurring. Running 315/305 is a pretty minor difference vs square but if it helps keep the ABS unit out of ice mode I'd consider it a major upgrade.
Cool. Yeah slow elements no issue, I haven’t had a issue at high speed then braking at a corner, maybe the low grip surface just lets me slide instead, which is the big problem at our lot. Makes it hard to go deep on braking. Now in my fifth gen and 19s with all the mods possible, yes I got ice mode, which most that had a fifth gen got. Seems like that was std equipment..lol but just learned to work around it and hope it was controlled. One friend with heavy mods ice modes through the lights and stopped ten feet from the timing trailer and people standing there. That was scary!
VR Baron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 02:34 PM   #17
CRBWS6

Drives: 18 1SS 1LE SCCA FS, 99 WS-6, E46 M3
This is great info (for autox applications), as I was thinking of picking up some cheap slightly used 305s fronts to replace my worn out 275s. This would move me from 275/305 (no ice mode) to 305 square (ice mode risk). I think I will hold off until the 275/305 are toast and go straight to the 305/315 setup for which I have heard nothing but good things...plus it's what the Mach 1 comes with from the factory. Thanks!