Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 07-21-2022, 09:28 AM   #1
chisox05

Drives: 2022 Camaro ZL1
ACS front rock guard not fitting?

I installed the rears no problem and they were perfect fit how they are formed around the ground effects.
The fronts unfortunately do not have a recess for the ground effects. My ground effects stick out past the fender edge almost 1/4" so I have a gap between the guard and painted fender edge where the double sided tape will not attach.
Anyone else have this problem and how much should the fronts drop down below the ground effects or should they be flush at the bottom. Also are the ground effects adjustable? Can they be un bolted and moved back a little? The rear wheel well they are flush with the painted fender edge.
Attached Images

chisox05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 09:32 AM   #2
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
The ground effects were installed wrong, they should be flush with the fender edge on each side. In other words, this isn't ACS's fault, rock guards are not supposed to have recesses to accommodate side skirts.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 09:45 AM   #3
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
I feel your pain... I don't disagree with arpad', but mine looked exactly the same. I'm going to try to go off of memory, so hopefully it will line-up with what you're seeing:

I believe I had similar issues. Rear was just fine, and fit super-snug. Front were a different matter, and I had to take a little extra time. I don't know if there was a better way, but, so far, no issues otherwise.

I ended-up trimming the tape that came from ACS from both sides, basically, and added tape where I thought it was needed. First - I test-fit both sides to make sure they were lined-up good. Then - I trimmed the ACS-tape where it was over-lapping the rocker end. I then added enough tape, above the rocker, to fill-in the gap from the guard to the fender itself. I think I only added one-layer of tape. I didn't run the added tape the whole length of the guard though - only to make-up for the gap. And - that was really it. It was straight forward from there.

Just final thoughts (if you're interested in rational)I'm not sure if it's helpful, but here was my logic behind my method:

Right after I bought him, I slicked the tires up. Everything was still stock. I went for a drive, and the entire side (both sides) of the car was covered in the dressing. Noticing this, I asked what will these tires do with little stones they'll pick-up off the street? I knew protection was the answer (I won't go into why I chose ACS - it doesn't matter in this context).

I was not cutting/ grinding anything on the car - so that was out. If it didn't work, I wanted an out to send them back if I hated what I did, so modifying the guards was out. I added the second layer where I thought it would make sense, and it seemed to help. Yeah - you can see the second layer if you look close enough, but I figured the adhesive would collect enough dust over time that it wouldn't be as noticeable.

In my opinion - after seeing how much tire goop the OEM front wheel/ tire threw against the car, and seeing what others experienced, I knew I wanted to add these. So - having the little complication you're seeing, for me, was worth the effort, and made-up for the not-great-fitment (I won't get into my opinion on such an expensive product to have this kind of issue). Maybe the rocker moldings could be adjusted, but I don't think so (I think there are body lines that have to match-up to the rear fender and the rear dog leg molding, so I didn't think it would look good, even if I could align those moldings and make it look good), and it didn't matter enough for me to try yet. I didn't like that I had to do this, but, perhaps, this is just one of those production-line-type things that happens among mass-produced cars.

So yeah - moved ACS-tape and add tape to the gap, and good to go. I've had them on since I bought him, and haven't had a problem yet. They match nice enough, and, IMO, look better than the other option to my eyes. Also - I don't think this is an ACS-specific issue.

JMO

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 11:46 AM   #4
chisox05

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
I feel your pain... I don't disagree with arpad', but mine looked exactly the same. I'm going to try to go off of memory, so hopefully it will line-up with what you're seeing:

I believe I had similar issues. Rear was just fine, and fit super-snug. Front were a different matter, and I had to take a little extra time. I don't know if there was a better way, but, so far, no issues otherwise.

I ended-up trimming the tape that came from ACS from both sides, basically, and added tape where I thought it was needed. First - I test-fit both sides to make sure they were lined-up good. Then - I trimmed the ACS-tape where it was over-lapping the rocker end. I then added enough tape, above the rocker, to fill-in the gap from the guard to the fender itself. I think I only added one-layer of tape. I didn't run the added tape the whole length of the guard though - only to make-up for the gap. And - that was really it. It was straight forward from there.

Just final thoughts (if you're interested in rational)I'm not sure if it's helpful, but here was my logic behind my method:

Right after I bought him, I slicked the tires up. Everything was still stock. I went for a drive, and the entire side (both sides) of the car was covered in the dressing. Noticing this, I asked what will these tires do with little stones they'll pick-up off the street? I knew protection was the answer (I won't go into why I chose ACS - it doesn't matter in this context).

I was not cutting/ grinding anything on the car - so that was out. If it didn't work, I wanted an out to send them back if I hated what I did, so modifying the guards was out. I added the second layer where I thought it would make sense, and it seemed to help. Yeah - you can see the second layer if you look close enough, but I figured the adhesive would collect enough dust over time that it wouldn't be as noticeable.

In my opinion - after seeing how much tire goop the OEM front wheel/ tire threw against the car, and seeing what others experienced, I knew I wanted to add these. So - having the little complication you're seeing, for me, was worth the effort, and made-up for the not-great-fitment (I won't get into my opinion on such an expensive product to have this kind of issue). Maybe the rocker moldings could be adjusted, but I don't think so (I think there are body lines that have to match-up to the rear fender and the rear dog leg molding, so I didn't think it would look good, even if I could align those moldings and make it look good), and it didn't matter enough for me to try yet. I didn't like that I had to do this, but, perhaps, this is just one of those production-line-type things that happens among mass-produced cars.

So yeah - moved ACS-tape and add tape to the gap, and good to go. I've had them on since I bought him, and haven't had a problem yet. They match nice enough, and, IMO, look better than the other option to my eyes. Also - I don't think this is an ACS-specific issue.

JMO
Thanks for the detailed response. I will try this. How far below the ground effects should the guars hang down?

Also does anyone know what is involved with correcting the ground effects so they are flush with the front fender. Are they just bolted on maybe I can loosen them and shift it back or are they glues or double sided taped to the rocker?
Old 07-21-2022, 11:52 AM   #5
arpad_m

Quote:
Originally Posted by chisox05 View Post
Thanks for the detailed response. I will try this. How far below the ground effects should the guars hang down?

Also does anyone know what is involved with correcting the ground effects so they are flush with the front fender. Are they just bolted on maybe I can loosen them and shift it back or are they glues or double sided taped to the rocker?
The rock guard design itself dictates the amount of overhang, because these guards have fixed clip locations.

I wouldn't mess with the side skirts, if installed correctly, they have 20-30+ rivets or at least screws each in addition to double sided tape. Trimming or moving the tape on the back of the ACS front guards as radz28 suggested seems to be a better approach.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

Old 07-21-2022, 12:01 PM   #6
chisox05

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
The rock guard design itself dictates the amount of overhang, because these guards have fixed clip locations.

I wouldn't mess with the side skirts, if installed correctly, they have 20-30+ rivets or at least screws each in addition to double sided tape. Trimming or moving the tape on the back of the ACS front guards as radz28 suggested seems to be a better approach.
The front ACS guards do not have fixed clip locations. There are 2 holes to drill into the fender liner and rivet to after it is attached with the tape. There are also no lines on the guard to indicate where to line them up to the side skirt.

The rear guards used the existing fender liner screws so they were a perfect fit.
Old 07-21-2022, 12:23 PM   #7
Slippy

Drives: 22 1LE
I used a heat gun on the ACS rock guards to get them flush to the fender with OEM side skirts. I also shaved off the raised edge on the fender side of the rock guard where it was hitting the side skirt.
Slippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 12:34 PM   #8
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:

I think I recall there being either a molded radius (or something along those lines) that follow the fender, OR - I'm thinking of the adhesive strip they applied... Either way - I feel like I ended up with the guards dropping below the rocker moldings by about 1-2". If I can remember or remember to look at the car, I'll post back up.

I feel like it was mostly by sight, but I could be wrong.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 01:15 PM   #9
chisox05

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
I think I recall there being either a molded radius (or something along those lines) that follow the fender, OR - I'm thinking of the adhesive strip they applied... Either way - I feel like I ended up with the guards dropping below the rocker moldings by about 1-2". If I can remember or remember to look at the car, I'll post back up.

I feel like it was mostly by sight, but I could be wrong.
I guess I can just measure the rear guards drop and try to match them
Old 07-21-2022, 03:56 PM   #10
arpad_m

Quote:
The front ACS guards do not have fixed clip locations. There are 2 holes to drill into the fender liner and rivet to after it is attached with the tape. There are also no lines on the guard to indicate where to line them up to the side skirt.

The rear guards used the existing fender liner screws so they were a perfect fit.
Really? It doesn't even reuse the existing clip slot in the middle that has a metal backing (and that all other mudflaps use)? That's surprising, and apologies for assuming it as obvious.

Four hundred dollars and they make you drill new holes into the body...

Old 07-21-2022, 06:51 PM   #11
chisox05

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
Really? It doesn't even reuse the existing clip slot in the middle that has a metal backing (and that all other mudflaps use)? That's surprising, and apologies for assuming it as obvious.

Four hundred dollars and they make you drill new holes into the body...
Nope front use nothing that is already existing on the car as a reference for positioning. It’s complete opposite from the rear.
Old 07-21-2022, 07:03 PM   #12
LeonardS

Drives: 1969 Z28,1992 Z28,1994 Z28,1999 SS
I’m glad you pointed out this issue. Now I know I won’t be buying the ACS flaps.
94 Z28, Black, M6, 595 miles
92 Z28, last car built at Van Nuys Plant, Red, A4, 125 miles www.last1992camaro.com
69 Z28, Dusk Blue, M4
29 Ford Business Coupe
28 Ford Pickup
24 GMC Denali 2500HD CCSB 4x4
22 Jeep Grand Cherokee
13 Ford F150 Crew Cab 4x4
LeonardS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 11:47 PM   #13
Mac7504

Drives: 2003 Monte Carlo SS SLP, 2022 ZL1
Yea, after reading on these a while back, it was a quick and hard no....while they look great, I'm not drilling or riveting shit into my new car. Although the ZL1 addons don't look as good, and state there will be a small gap, albeit in the rear, I'm good with just clips and 3m. You can fil the gap with back silicone if u like per the website. This is at a fraction of the cost. I've been holding off but I'm tired of getting tired shine over the side. Next will be rock chips.
Mac7504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 06:13 AM   #14
NashZL1

The ACS guards on my ZL1 are fantastic. Easy install and look OEM. The drilling into the liner was no big deal to me. Well worth it.

Pricy though.
2020 Genesis G90 Ultimate
2019 Mercedes-Benz SL450
2017 Corvette Grand Sport A8
2024 Honda Civic Touring
1971 Datsun 240Z
NashZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote