Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-04-2022, 03:28 PM   #29
Memphis SS

Drives: 2017 SS A8 Hyper Blue/White Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR's 2SS View Post
Not directly. But when they dont pay anyone enough to survive and dont offer medical benefits... the workers need to depend on government programs to survive.
Kind of a similar thing from the perspective of a taxpayer.
But... Ford didnt take the money.
And dont get me started on bailing out banks.... when I start getting profit sharing from the banks... then Ill be ok with my tax dollars bailing them out when they do something stupid.
But.... Ive spent the last 30 years fighting against the tide to buy American.
Union.. non union... I dont want to hear about any of that... My neighbors jobs...
I ran a lowbed for years. I had to go onto a job site to remove machinery of a non union company. They had the big rat out.. they damaged the guys equipment...
I walked up to the line and asked what I needed to do to cross the line to get a machine out without getting my stuff messed with... They said your good pulling it out... When I asked what the strike was about... They said they were striking because the non union company was stealing THEIR jobs...
I asked the guy where he was from... about 50 miles away... I said but the guy who owns all these machines... he lives right here. Hows he stealing your jobs?
I have mixed feelings about the whole thing. Ive been an owner operator, and Ive been a Teamster. Ive done ok either way.
Once I was challenged by the big union BA on a construction job very close to NY. He was right. But my company was "connected".... but I want no problem... I asked him how can I get a book?.. well truth is at that time theres no Fing way.
Also, operating the lowbed in most Teamster operations puts you in the mechanics local. I would have to take a cut in pay. Similar bennies... Some better rules... some worse.
But if they would put me in the Operating Engineers 825 I would be able to make real money... Never gunna happen.
I never begrudge anyone either way...
I always buy American... and often leave empty handed if I have no choice.
I also dont care if USPS or UPS delivers my stuff. It usually comes in good shape reasonably on time.
I hate Fedex. They droped a document envelope at my door... 12 inches away from being under my roof.. In the pouring rain... Because he was to much of a JO to throw it onto the dry concrete.
I know my UPS driver. I know my mail man... I never see the same fedex driver twice....
Really bothers me buying ammo mail order when it comes fedex because now some unknown underpaid short timer knows what Im buying.
Need to check your facts on Ford, they did take bailout money from what I’ve read over the years.

https://www.factcheck.org/2011/09/fo...n-on-bailouts/
Old 07-05-2022, 07:24 AM   #30
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewAMEL View Post
What? Unions are allowed in all states.

I live in Florida and we have Unions all over the place.

Florida? The only state you have to drive north to get to the south

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 12:50 PM   #31
Red Chief

Drives: 2020 LT1 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorforschool@gmail.com View Post
Are you just trying to start something? LOL don’t speak on something you have no knowledge of.
I used to rooflioad shingles for a lumberyard while not making half as much as UPS drivers. Trust me UPS is a walk in the park compared to that job.
Red Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 09:12 PM   #32
Alan47717

Drives: 2022 1LT RS 2.0t/6spd
Quote:
What? Unions are allowed in all states.

I live in Florida and we have Unions all over the place.
Sure, unions are "allowed" in all states, but right to work laws eliminate the ability for any union to succeed in organization efforts. Therefore states with right to work laws are effectively non-union states.
Alan47717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 10:21 PM   #33
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Chief View Post
I used to rooflioad shingles for a lumberyard while not making half as much as UPS drivers. Trust me UPS is a walk in the park compared to that job.
Sure, we can probably find some slave “jobs” that are “harder” than whatever. Two of my best friends work for UPS and and they earn their money. Why are you so jelly?

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 11:39 PM   #34
Aquarius

Drives: Rapid Blue 2022 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by s346k View Post
last time i checked, walmart did not take billions of dollars from uncle sam to avoid closing its doors.
last time I checked, Walmart does not hire may of its employees on full time so they can avoid paying benefits. This means that any medical visits said employees make are on the taxpayer's dime. Also, many Walmart employees are on food stamps and other government subsidies. That's also more tax money used to cover deficits in Walmart's employee's paychecks.

So GM may have taken money to avoid going out of business (and paid it back), but Walmart's business philosophy relies on the US government subsidizing their employees to make a substantial part of their profits.
11/9/2021 - 3400 Status TPW 11/15
11/24/2021 - 3800 Status built 11/21/2021
12/2/2021 - 5000 Status
12/13/2021 - 6000 Status
Aquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 12:08 AM   #35
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan47717 View Post
Sure, unions are "allowed" in all states, but right to work laws eliminate the ability for any union to succeed in organization efforts. Therefore states with right to work laws are effectively non-union states.

You understand that every Teacher in the state is Union? The airline pilots? Disney? There are more than 2 million union members in Florida alone. The CWA, AFL-CIO, TWU, Teamsters, all have Locals in Florida.

I'm not sure you understand what 'right to work' laws are. They simply keep non-union members from being forced to pay Union dues in order to keep their jobs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right-to-work_law

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 10:57 AM   #36

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
GM strike?...lol First, would anybody even notice a difference? What, vehicles wouldn't be manufactured?...lol

We have that now without a strike....With supply chain issues, chip and part shortages, they are lucky to have a job and not been laid off....(Wait, they get paid anyway for a year or two if they get laid off)...

A strke? Management is probably hoping for one...lol
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 01:54 PM   #37
taylorforschool@gmail.com
PKG4U

Drives: 2018 ZL1
I thought I would come to this forum for sound advice, eventually realized it’s just a place of entertainment.

Mods after Warranty “Imma keep it stock”
taylorforschool@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 02:22 PM   #38
GearheadSS

Drives: 23 LT1/22 Colorado TB/69 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonardS View Post
You can buy a GMC 2500 HD or 3500 HD. They are only built in Flint, MI.
Not any longer. They're also being built in Canada now.
GearheadSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 03:48 PM   #39
Alan47717

Drives: 2022 1LT RS 2.0t/6spd
Quote:
You understand that every Teacher in the state is Union? The airline pilots? Disney? There are more than 2 million union members in Florida alone. The CWA, AFL-CIO, TWU, Teamsters, all have Locals in Florida.

I'm not sure you understand what 'right to work' laws are. They simply keep non-union members from being forced to pay Union dues in order to keep their jobs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right-to-work_law
Teachers, pilots, etc, belong to national unions that existed before these laws were written.

This is a political discussion that I shouldn't have entered. I doubt that any minds will change.
Alan47717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 03:50 PM   #40
LeonardS

Drives: 1969 Z28,1992 Z28,1994 Z28,1999 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearheadSS View Post
Not any longer. They're also being built in Canada now.

You are wrong! They are building Chevy 1500, 2500 and 3500 in Canada. Chevy and GMC 2500 and 3500 in Flint. Better double check your sources.
94 Z28, Black, M6, 595 miles
92 Z28, last car built at Van Nuys Plant, Red, A4, 125 miles www.last1992camaro.com
69 Z28, Dusk Blue, M4
29 Ford Business Coupe
28 Ford Pickup
24 GMC Denali 2500HD CCSB 4x4
22 Jeep Grand Cherokee
13 Ford F150 Crew Cab 4x4
LeonardS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 05:44 PM   #41
Realist

Drives: No Camaro :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius View Post
last time I checked, Walmart does not hire may of its employees on full time so they can avoid paying benefits. This means that any medical visits said employees make are on the taxpayer's dime. Also, many Walmart employees are on food stamps and other government subsidies. That's also more tax money used to cover deficits in Walmart's employee's paychecks.

So GM may have taken money to avoid going out of business (and paid it back), but Walmart's business philosophy relies on the US government subsidizing their employees to make a substantial part of their profits.
GM paid back what the administration at the time said they had to pay. So many folks fail to mention the $10 Billion tax payers took on the chin. I was against the bailouts because I think we could have had a stronger USA auto industry now. GM and Ford appear weak, struggling to get EV’s produced and vehicles waiting for chips.

Walmart is a common example used but what about the $86 Billion to Teamsters pension bailout, poorly ran state pension bailouts and more pension bailout talk currently being pushed.
Realist is offline   Reply With Quote