Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 06-14-2022, 04:50 PM   #15
LT1ornothing

Drives: 2020 LT1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPirate View Post
I agree. And I'm not the convertible type for many reasons already mentioned. No offense to those who enjoy them.

I guess I'm most perplexed though by anyone who wants/has a ZL1 convertible. Why do you need all that power to just cruise around? A standard SS has more than enough power for cruising and accelerating briskly. And costs considerably less.
Like I said man, that cool wind in the hair sensation must be better than an eager obedient mistress.

Last edited by LT1ornothing; 06-14-2022 at 06:47 PM.
LT1ornothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 05:08 PM   #16
ZPirate

Drives: 2023 Summit White Camaro ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LEornothing View Post
Like I said man, that cool wind the hair sensation must be better than an eager obedient mistress.
I guess so.
2022 Rapid Blue 1SS 1LE M6 (delivered 2/19/22) (Sold)
2009 BMW 135i (Sold)
ZPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 06:55 PM   #17
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
I agree. And I'm not the convertible type for many reasons already mentioned. No offense to those who enjoy them.

I guess I'm most perplexed though by anyone who wants/has a ZL1 convertible. Why do you need all that power to just cruise around? A standard SS has more than enough power for cruising and accelerating briskly. And costs considerably less.
I think I can help you answer that question…

I wouldn’t want a baby blue camaro with a black wrapped hood. But I’m not perplexed by the fact you or anyone else wants or owns one. Clearly a pretty cool car, just not for me. I applaud the fact you’re happy with your decision.

As far as the ZL1 convertible, you’re owning the best of the best, whether you push it to its limits or not (sometimes that enough for people). It has kick as looks, which in my opinion are better than the SS. There’s a presence about the ZL1 that’s unmistakeable for anyone that’s familiar with cars. Know how many 392’s or 5.0’s challenged my old ZL1… “0”. It’s also the best extreme performance convertible, dollar for dollar. And if you have the $, then it’s the obvious choice for a high performance Camaro lover. They’re also very rare, and will continue to be so until the ultimate phase out of the Camaro line up.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 07:33 PM   #18
Cmax

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS FIFTY convertible
I’ve driven the coupe, bought have mostly owned verts.
It’s true that it’s stiffer with bracing, and heavier….
I’ve rented challenger and mustang coupes….not very impressed, and the sight lines are not great either…
However driving my SS vert has open sight lines, and feels like a go cart on steroids…..
I love mine, but would not like it much as a commuter with top up….
Cmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 07:40 PM   #19
cariboocreek

Drives: 2023 Corvette C8
Quote:

The ZL1 Convertible will briskly out accelerate any other convertible in the same class and most in any other class. It will briskly out accelerate most coupes in it’s class and many in any other class. It will briskly out accelerate my Grand Sport (fyi also a convertible). It’s an uncommon car. It will retain it’s value. It’s cool.
2019 Camaro SS Convertible
2019 Corvette Grand Sport Convertible
2013 Corvette Grand Sport
2013 Challenger SRT 392
1995 Camaro Z28
cariboocreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 09:00 PM   #20
ZPirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chutzpah View Post
I think I can help you answer that question…

I wouldn’t want a baby blue camaro with a black wrapped hood. But I’m not perplexed by the fact you or anyone else wants or owns one. Clearly a pretty cool car, just not for me. I applaud the fact you’re happy with your decision.

As far as the ZL1 convertible, you’re owning the best of the best, whether you push it to its limits or not (sometimes that enough for people). It has kick as looks, which in my opinion are better than the SS. There’s a presence about the ZL1 that’s unmistakeable for anyone that’s familiar with cars. Know how many 392’s or 5.0’s challenged my old ZL1… “0”. It’s also the best extreme performance convertible, dollar for dollar. And if you have the $, then it’s the obvious choice for a high performance Camaro lover. They’re also very rare, and will continue to be so until the ultimate phase out of the Camaro line up.
Baby blue. LOL! Its not Tarhole blue! Rapid Blue is one of the best colors to trickle down from the C8. And in my opinion the best current color on the 1LE. I get more compliments on the car and the color than any car I have ever owned, including several Corvettes.

I still think that the ZL1 convertible is overkill, but if you or anyone else enjoys it then that’s your prerogative. It's just not something that would interest me. But to each his own. Whether it is the best of the best is debatable. I would argue that a C7 Z06 convertible would be more desirable. And as with most convertibles there are low mileage Z06 verts out there for approximately the same price as a ZL1 vert.
2009 BMW 135i (Sold)

Last edited by ZPirate; 06-16-2022 at 08:22 AM.
Old 06-14-2022, 09:10 PM   #21
ZPirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by cariboocreek View Post
The ZL1 Convertible will briskly out accelerate any other convertible in the same class and most in any other class. It will briskly out accelerate most coupes in it’s class and many in any other class. It will briskly out accelerate my Grand Sport (fyi also a convertible). It’s an uncommon car. It will retain it’s value. It’s cool.
I never said that the ZL1 convertible wasn't fast in a straight line. Or that it couldn't out accelerate most cars. It should be able to with 650 hp. But how often do you realistically use that hp or even drive it more than 60-70? But what is important is that you like it not me. I'm just not into convertibles.
2009 BMW 135i (Sold)

Last edited by ZPirate; 06-15-2022 at 06:16 AM.
Old 06-15-2022, 09:35 AM   #22
Speak99

Drives: Camaro 2020 2SS VERT
For me, a vert is another way to enjoy two things at once.

The summer sun and a nice cruise in my Camaro.

I wouldnt have it any other way. I do notice that when i put my top up, its like a dark cave inside.

This car is wonderful, i am also surprised that if i drive it like a Grampa, gas mileage is decent as well.
Speak99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 11:25 PM   #23
MR's 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS Vert/M6/F250 SD
I actually hate verts for all the reasons the poster mentioned above. All true by the way.
But thats not the thread. Its asking about a comparo between the 2.
Also. My wife LOVES verts. and its her driver.
When we test drove I drove a 2SS coup back to back with the vert.
The coup had Magride. The el diff a sun roof. And SS seats.
The vert has Ricaros. No Magride or EL diff.
Of course I didnt beat the cars test driving. But I felt the coup handled better.
I could feel it. It was a bit more crisp and precise feeling into turns.
I was way more comfortable in the standard 2SS seats. I could almost move far enough back to get comfortable.
Both were M6 trannys. Even the same color.
The coup was a 2021 and the vert was a 2020. Built 2 months apart.
By the way I dont like sun roofs either. I cant even imagine putting a hole in the roof.
When my wife drove the 2 what she noticed most was that for some reason the Ricaros moved considerably closer to the dash. The result being that she could floor the clutch easily with the Recaros. With the SS seats she couldnt reach the floor unless she shifted in the seat and pushed with her toe....could be a difference between coup and vert interiors too.
That was the real decision maker. She is very comfortable in the Recaros.
As for power and weight. Or structural rigidity....
They put the tower struts in the vert and I imagine other strengthening. Its one of the tightest best handling cars Ive ever owned.
If I was ordering... Im thinking 2SS 1LE would be my own choice. No vert. No sunroof...
But the vert is a great car and we say it every time we go out....
"What a nice car!"
The power is great and I would turn my license to crap with any more...
But after a few thousand miles I got used to it to the point that I would probably enjoy the blower. But dont need it to cruze around top down making some cool noise and relaxing.
Old 06-16-2022, 12:45 PM   #24
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
The difference is the owner. You are either a convertible person, or you're not. The sun, wind, roar and whine either gets your giggle going, or it doesn't.

So say it with me now:

SIX-HUNDRED FIFTY HORSEPOWER CONVERTIBLE!!!

Attached Images

Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 12:50 PM   #25
mariojas

Drives: 2022 ZL1 M6 & 2023 Stinger GT AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
The difference is the owner. You are either a convertible person, or you're not.

So say it with me now:

Agree. I barely open windows - only if outside temperature is somewhere around 72 - 75F, otherwise close the f up, and use HVAC to make comfort. So vert would be weird choice for me.

Charger sold! Better to sell, than waiting to be stolen...
mariojas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 01:25 PM   #26
FlukeSS

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS A10
Quote:
I never said that the ZL1 convertible wasn't fast in a straight line. Or that it couldn't out accelerate most cars. It should be able to with 650 hp. But how often do you realistically use that hp or even drive it more than 60-70? But what is important is that you like it not me. I'm just not into convertibles.
I don't own a ZL1 and I often take my SS well beyond 60-70.

2020 Camaro 2SS A10 | Rebuilt by: CBI Street Cars | 2" SE LT Headers | 3" SE X-Pipe | 3" MBRP Axle-Back | Pri & Sec Cat Deletes | K&N Typhoon CAI | LT2 Ported | 95mm ZR1 TB | LSA crankshaft conversion w/modified crank gear | LS1 thrust bearing | LS MSD Plug Wire Set | BTR Stage I Cam | ARP Rod Bolts | Delphi Lifter set | NGK LTR71X-11 spark plug set | DOD Delete | VVT Limiter | ECM, TCM & E85 | Retuned by: Justin L. | Dyno: 510 rwhp 472 rwtq | Best 1/4 Time: 11.639
FlukeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 01:43 PM   #27
Gen6cyl

Drives: Chevy Camaro 2021 ,rs, v6, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
The difference is the owner. You are either a convertible person, or you're not. The sun, wind, roar and whine either gets your giggle going, or it doesn't.

So say it with me now:

I'm not a convertible type, but your car is awsome .
Gen6cyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 03:57 PM   #28
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen6cyl View Post
I'm not a convertible type, but your car is awsome .
+1
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote