Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-09-2022, 01:25 PM   #29
LT1ornothing

Drives: 2020 LT1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by lt4camaro View Post
1 good road test will reveal all thats good or bad with a manual trans car.
A road test would only reveal serious problems. You would have a difficult time getting the hardware warm enough on public roads to determine if there is an issue that only manifests during competitive driving. No sir, no feeling is more serene than a virgin M6.
LT1ornothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 01:28 PM   #30
zx9rmal

Drives: '20 ZL1 M6
Some people are naturals with manuals from the get go. Others are not, or need more time to gain the experience.

I would stay away from the track. You're not at that level yet for "working" the tranny. I would also NOT be using the rev matching feature. That is counterproductive. YOU need to be doing all the work to gain the experience.

It's all about matching, matching, matching.............throttle/revs to gear. It can take a long time. Keep on practicing. Concentrate on what you are feeling. Learn about the mechanical process, i.e., what is actually happening when you shift into a higher or lower gear, e.g., engine must increase or decrease. Then, it should become obvious what you need to correct.

Have fun learning. Believe me, you're not gonna be that one guy that just can't get it.
'22 Kawasaki ZX-14R
zx9rmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 10:56 AM   #31
Val Walkinshaw
L8ap3x

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE
I agree with all the posters who say not to use rev match. It prevents you from learning the car/shift points/throttle control and when you're proficient, you don't need it.
Val Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 11:41 AM   #32
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Val Walkinshaw View Post
I agree with all the posters who say not to use rev match. It prevents you from learning the car/shift points/throttle control and when you're proficient, you don't need it.
but it's a nanny that gives you an edge, like an auto.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 12:01 PM   #33
KenMaro

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS manual
I like to use the rev match to listen to the exhaust pop. Only time I use it really.
KenMaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 12:07 PM   #34
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenMaro View Post
I like to use the rev match to listen to the exhaust pop. Only time I use it really.
Downshift the car matching the revs yourself and it does exactly the same thing. ARM is a crutch of sorts, but may have certain situational use cases that make sense.

As with every "shortcut", it's best the learn the proper way of doing it without assistive technology before you leverage it.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 01:04 PM   #35
KenMaro

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
Downshift the car matching the revs yourself and it does exactly the same thing. ARM is a crutch of sorts, but may have certain situational use cases that make sense.

As with every "shortcut", it's best the learn the proper way of doing it without assistive technology before you leverage it.
Put the ARM on, rev up and just put to neutral. It will pop. Remove ARM, rev up put to neutral, no pop. That's all I was talking about. I do it to get people to wake up who are driving behind me. I have been rear-ended two times in my Mustang while sitting at a red light with multiple cars ahead of me as I watch some idiot too preoccupied with their phone or radio and hit me. Both times traffic was barely rolling a few MPHs before stopping again, stop and go. I have had similar situations while in my Camaro but now if I notice the person behind me is a bit erratic in their slowing and starting I put ARM on, and pop them a few times to wake em up so they remember I am there. I haven't been hit in a similar situation yet... I am sure it will happen but me making the loud noise to get their attention makes me feel better.
KenMaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 03:34 PM   #36
kurmaro

Drives: 2022 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenMaro View Post
Put the ARM on, rev up and just put to neutral. It will pop. Remove ARM, rev up put to neutral, no pop. That's all I was talking about. I do it to get people to wake up who are driving behind me. I have been rear-ended two times in my Mustang while sitting at a red light with multiple cars ahead of me as I watch some idiot too preoccupied with their phone or radio and hit me. Both times traffic was barely rolling a few MPHs before stopping again, stop and go. I have had similar situations while in my Camaro but now if I notice the person behind me is a bit erratic in their slowing and starting I put ARM on, and pop them a few times to wake em up so they remember I am there. I haven't been hit in a similar situation yet... I am sure it will happen but me making the loud noise to get their attention makes me feel better.
Can you explain your process in making it pop? Are you talking clutch down in gear, rev, then put in neutral?
kurmaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 04:50 PM   #37
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurmaro View Post
I've had my '22 SS for 6 months now. I haven't stalled in a few months, so I got that down, but when I'm up-shifting they're just not smooth. I keep rev-match on all the time. Am I getting off the clutch too slow/fast? Am I giving it gas too soon/late? Am I not matching the clutch and gas at the right time? It's especially bad going from 1 to 2, but sometimes I'll row through the gears smooth as butter.

Also, when down-shifting, how slow or fast am I supposed to come off the clutch? Am I supposed to hold it for a second at the biting point or just gradually come off of it? I'm asking because when I downshift sometimes I can feel the clutch grab hard and sometimes I can just hear it smacking.

Last thing, when racing, how am I supposed to come off the clutch and gas? I feel as though I'm doing it wrong because I'll smell my clutch after banging through the gears.

I appreciate any tips and information!
IMO, if you have trouble to the point that you are struggling to drive the car home, then turn ARM on. At your skill level, though, you could start to do some downshifting without using ARM.

If you are using ARM and upshifting, you need to actually lift your foot off the gas until you release the clutch fully, since pressing on the gas yourself disengages ARM. That's something to note, and part of why I don't DD with ARM on.

How fast you release the clutch depends on how accurate your rev-matches are. If you are very good with the RPM/speed/gear combo, you could pop the clutch with no ill effects. Realistically, you want to be a little bit slower since it's rare to be that perfect. If you are good with quick mental math, you could start to remember some RPM/speed/gear combos and roughly calculate how much RPM you need in the lower gear you are shifting to. A couple hundred of RPM off is fine as long as you don't pop the clutch too hard.

As for racing, one feature you could learn to leverage off the car is the no-lift shift. That way, you can lay your foot on the gas and the computer will do some of the work for you.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=513327

If you smell clutch burning, I think you need to be quicker with the clutch. Again, don't pop it, be smooth and fast at the same time, so don't lift your left foot off super fast, make sure the clutch pedal can still follow your left leg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Val Walkinshaw View Post
About the only time I use ARM is when I am on a track where I have many other things to focus on and I don't want to upset the balance of the car, or very occasionally, I get lazy when passing on freeways.

I drove a few manual cars before the Camaro without the rev-match assistance so I prefer doing it myself. I still hop into different manual cars from time to time without that level of assistance, like my buddy's SRT-4(too bad he sold it, that thing was a blast with the turbo whooshes and it hauls pretty good). Especially when I had the RX-8 - that car needed revs and good rev-matching techniques for you to really have fun. That's its whole schtick. It's not fast, but downshifting to 5~6k RPM and revving all the way to 9k RPM to pass is something special.

I also agree that driving on a 4-cyl economy car could help. I used to learn how to drive a stick with an old beater 1999 Corolla. I think the least powerful manual shift car I have driven is a Suzuki Jimny with a 1.3 engine and 90 BHP in Costa Rica, and they got some steep hills there. With these cars, you can't just lay your foot down and expect the car to just go. You gotta get your revs up.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 04:53 PM   #38
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
i use rev match all the time i paid for it lol its super handy on track also and sounds awesome
Old 06-10-2022, 04:58 PM   #39
UnknownJinX

Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
i use rev match all the time i paid for it lol its super handy on track also and sounds awesome
To each of their own, I just prefer doing it the more old-fashioned way in daily driving settings to keep the skill honed. Even throw in some heel-toe from time to time. Not a lot of manual cars have that feature so it's good to be familiar with proper rev-matching.

Past:
Old 06-10-2022, 07:04 PM   #40
armycop71
Love my Satin Steel LT-1!

Drives: 6-Speed LT-1...
I love the rev match feature and it's good for the transmission. I just wish it would stay on when I restart the car. They need to update a the CPU to leave the rev match on and turn off the stupid skip shift.

6-Speed Man|Carbon Flash Wheels
Technology Pkg|NPP|Satin Blk Pkg
ZL1 Rock Guards|Red Knee Pad Set
PBC LT1 engine built by Debi Lewis
armycop71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 07:14 PM   #41
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by armycop71 View Post
I love the rev match feature and it's good for the transmission. I just wish it would stay on when I restart the car. They need to update a the CPU to leave the rev match on and turn off the stupid skip shift.
I think the auto rev match not automatically turning on is patent related. Nissan or some other manufacturer owns the patent. I could be wrong, but I believe I read that a while ago.
PPF | Paint Correction | ZL1 Addons Rock Guards | ZL1 Addons Lift Pads | ZL1 Addons Feather Lite Tow Hook | JWM Smoked Sidemarkers | Wildhammer Smoked Rear Reflectors | JWM License Plate LEDs | RotoFab CAI | ADM IC Reservoir v2 | BC Forged RZ05 | SPL Toe Arms | BW Brake Deflectors | CMS Roll Bar | Schroth Profi II ASM Harnesses
Sold: '99 Trans Am (bolt-ons & cam) | '00 WS6 (bolt-ons, heads, cam, 12 bolt) | '05 CTS-V (bolt-ons, short throw) | '10 SS/RS M6 (short throw, CAI, coilovers, LTs, catback, JRE tune) | '01 WS6

YouTube
RamAir02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 07:30 PM   #42
UnknownJinX

Quote:
Originally Posted by armycop71 View Post
I believe someone on the forum has worked out a solution for that... Can't remember the thread off the top of my head, but should come up with a search.

Past: