Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Thread Closed

Old 05-02-2022, 10:36 AM   #337
gpskinzhut

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyRules View Post
There are plenty of reasons why an EV may not be practical right now for people.

But the fear mongering of them catching on fire is just insane..... Yes they do happen, but they happen to ICE vehicles as well. For every example of a Tesla catching fire, there are plenty of ICE vehicles to counter with. The only difference is only one catches the eye of the media to give attention to......

Tesla's had this ability through the boombox feature. But NHTSA cried foul and made Tesla disable it when the vehicle is in motion. :(
"Gee thanks, Dad"

2017 ZL1 A10
2017 2SS M6: (SOLD) || 2014 2LT Convertible: (SOLD) || 2010 2LT M6 Supercharged:(SOLD) || 1987 IROC-Z 5.0 M5: (SOLD)
Old 05-02-2022, 10:39 AM   #338
TXCSSU
Account Suspended

Drives: 2022 ZL1 M6/Nissan Leaf
Quote:
There are plenty of reasons why an EV may not be practical right now for people.

But the fear mongering of them catching on fire is just insane..... Yes they do happen, but they happen to ICE vehicles as well. For every example of a Tesla catching fire, there are plenty of ICE vehicles to counter with. The only difference is only one catches the eye of the media to give attention to......

Tesla's had this ability through the boombox feature. But NHTSA cried foul and made Tesla disable it when the vehicle is in motion. :(
And those are the conversations that we should be having, but some people are just stuck in some sort of echo chamber where they're just screaming things that aren't even relevant. It's like when the autonomous vehicle hit the pedestrian on the road. I'm not going to lie, but in the video I saw, I'd probably run over the person wearing dark clothing, over a blind curve that's walking the street at night. But as you stated, the media gets ahold of the story as click bait, and next thing you know people are talking about skynet becoming sentient and looking to kill pedestrians.....
Old 05-02-2022, 10:52 AM   #339
Michigan1LTRS
Blessed ❤️

Drives: 2017 1LT RS I4
Look forward to an eCamaro!
Old 05-02-2022, 11:25 AM   #340
TXCSSU
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan1LTRS View Post
Look forward to an eCamaro!

Funny enough, I will keep my ICE Camaro, hope that GM knocks it out of the park with their EV version, and maybe in a few years I'll inquire about one. One thing I really don't want is that fake sounding engine crap. Give me the quiet that is associated with an EV or give me nothing. I can't tell you how many times I've been on a conference call and the other participants weren't tipped off that I was driving around in my EV. Now when I'm in the Camaro and on a call, let's just say that I try not to take a call as the mix of V8, tire, and wind noise conspire to make it hard to hear wtf anyone is saying. And I'm perfectly ok with that, as I don't want to be bothered when I'm driving the Camaro.
Old 05-02-2022, 04:12 PM   #341
Alan47717

Drives: 2022 1LT RS 2.0t/6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXCSSU View Post
I actually lined up at a stoplight next to a V8 Challenger (had the SRT badge on the spoiler) the other day and had him by about 1/2 a car length to about 50. I didn't keep my foot into it as the speed limit was 45 and I was perfectly ok with trolling him to that speed knowing that he'd easily pull after about that speed. He really must've hated that I was able to keep up with him in my NISSAN LEAF up to that point because he felt he had to take it to near triple digits to the next light.

Point being that electric is the future. Sure the gas and oil companies have done all they can to try and convince us that it's not, and some people are still trying to fight a fight that's already been lost, but numbers don't lie. Having access to instant torque off the line, how is an ICE powered car supposed to compete? And this is coming from someone that has an LT4. I love my Camaro, and the driving experience that I get from it, but I know that it can't compete with many EVs out there. I'd rather Chevy knock it out of the park in the EV realm rather than linger behind everyone else in an attempt to keep the ICE alive. I'm sure some of the guys a little older than me can remind us of how it went when people were screaming that fuel injection would never replace a good ole carburetor.

I don't care how GM gets across the finish line first, whether it's ICE technology, EV technology, or unicorn fart dust. I just want them to make it across that finish line first.
I don't care about instant torque off the line. I live in S AZ and I care about my A/C working in the late afternoon/early evening hours when all of these EV's come home and get plugged in. Anybody who thinks the electrical grid is/will be upgraded quickly enough to keep up with the PROJECTED increase in electrical demand is kidding themselves. Not to mention coal and gas will still be relied on for huge portions of what increases are achieved, making the whole ICE to EV thing kind of pointless. "Zero emissions at point of use" is not the same as Zero emissions, which is all the planet cares about.
Old 05-02-2022, 04:36 PM   #342
TXCSSU
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan47717 View Post
I don't care about instant torque off the line. I live in S AZ and I care about my A/C working in the late afternoon/early evening hours when all of these EV's come home and get plugged in. Anybody who thinks the electrical grid is/will be upgraded quickly enough to keep up with the PROJECTED increase in electrical demand is kidding themselves. Not to mention coal and gas will still be relied on for huge portions of what increases are achieved, making the whole ICE to EV thing kind of pointless. "Zero emissions at point of use" is not the same as Zero emissions, which is all the planet cares about.
Well you have the 4-cylinder so it was already obvious that you don't care about torque.
Old 05-02-2022, 05:02 PM   #343
ChevyRules

Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Quote:

You're assuming they will have the car start to charge the moment it is plugged in at 5-7 PM.

You can plug in and have it start charging at 1 am when power draw is low since everyone is asleep...... Have my Model 3 setup where it will charge at midnight and only needs an hour to an hour and half to recharge what I used that day( I have it charge to 60-65% and only use 16-19% on my commute).
Old 05-02-2022, 11:40 PM   #344
GroundhogSS

Drives: '17 2SS convertible'20 Yukon Denali
Quote:

Totally agree about the lack of grid upgrades. Solar and wind won't do enough unless there is a wind turbine every few acres. I would hope nuclear is considered again. You would hope that after a 40 year span of no new plants, the engineers would now know how to build a safer reactor.

Delivered: 08/15/2016

#TeamBeckyD

Old 05-03-2022, 01:11 AM   #345
Alan47717

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXCSSU View Post
Well you have the 4-cylinder so it was already obvious that you don't care about torque.
You missed my point entirely. All I hear about EV's is how quiet they are (I don't care) and the instant torque thing. Instant torque is really useful in a power screwdriver, but unless you are dragracing it is just a novelty feature. I like the torque curve of the turbo 4, that is why I bought it.
Old 05-03-2022, 01:21 AM   #346
Alan47717

Quote:
You're assuming they will have the car start to charge the moment it is plugged in at 5-7 PM.

You can plug in and have it start charging at 1 am when power draw is low since everyone is asleep...... Have my Model 3 setup where it will charge at midnight and only needs an hour to an hour and half to recharge what I used that day( I have it charge to 60-65% and only use 16-19% on my commute).
You are presenting an idealistic scenario that won't likely be the norm. Most people will come home, plug in and go in for dinner. And it doesn't really matter how much we quibble around the edges of when the peak demands will occur. It is simply that government's and manufactures are projecting a massive conversion of the fleet over to EV and where is the public expenditure going to come from to upgrade the electrical generating and distribution capacity? Raising the gas tax?
Old 05-03-2022, 06:35 AM   #347
ChevyRules

Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Quote:
You are presenting an idealistic scenario that won't likely be the norm. Most people will come home, plug in and go in for dinner. And it doesn't really matter how much we quibble around the edges of when the peak demands will occur. It is simply that government's and manufactures are projecting a massive conversion of the fleet over to EV and where is the public expenditure going to come from to upgrade the electrical generating and distribution capacity? Raising the gas tax?
And you’re doom and gloom……

You’re assuming people wouldn’t set charging time for off peak hours for lower electricity rates. You are acting you need to set the charging time every time you plug in. You don’t. Once you tell the car to charge at 1 am, it will remember it all the time. So every night people come home, plug in, go to dinner, and car won’t charge until 1 am. It’s not that hard and the aspect of saving money will be more than enough motivation for people to take the 30 seconds one time to set charging time.
Old 05-03-2022, 09:25 AM   #348
TXCSSU
Account Suspended

Quote:
You missed my point entirely. All I hear about EV's is how quiet they are (I don't care) and the instant torque thing. Instant torque is really useful in a power screwdriver, but unless you are dragracing it is just a novelty feature. I like the torque curve of the turbo 4, that is why I bought it.

Instant torque is what gets you going, so I'm not sure why you consider it a novelty. If you didn't care about torque, then you wouldn't want to merge the highway or pull into traffic.

Your worry about the electric grid being like an old house where you can't plug in two electric heaters in the same room without blowing a fuse is nonsense. But you do at least have a point that the electric grid needs to be overhauled, not just for volume, but for security. We've had a lot of attempts (some successful) to get into our system by bad actors, and that should have you more worried than thinking that everyone is going to hop onto EVs and plug everything at the same time. You are assuming that everyone is going to dump their ICE at the same time, which is highly unlikely.
Old 05-03-2022, 09:28 AM   #349
wavsine
________/\_

Drives: Gen6 NGM RS
Send a message via Yahoo to wavsine
Quote:

But I do await you posting events of Tesla's burning to the ground because nothing like FUD in the morning to push an agenda.....
I wasn't going to but since you insisted...

"Normally a car fire you can put out with 500 to 1,000 gallons of water," Austin Fire Department Division Chief Thayer Smith said, per The Independent, "but Tesla's may take up to 30,000-40,000 gallons of water, maybe even more, to extinguish the battery pack once it starts burning"

Note that some of these Tesla fires are spontaneous, they are not charging at the time.

And my favorite part is that after the fire has been "extinguished", it can reignite again and again.

You might want to get your Tesla out of the garage and park it on the street....just not near my car please.
Old 05-03-2022, 09:50 AM   #350
TXCSSU
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavsine View Post
I wasn't going to but since you insisted...

"Normally a car fire you can put out with 500 to 1,000 gallons of water," Austin Fire Department Division Chief Thayer Smith said, per The Independent, "but Tesla's may take up to 30,000-40,000 gallons of water, maybe even more, to extinguish the battery pack once it starts burning"

Note that some of these Tesla fires are spontaneous, they are not charging at the time.

And my favorite part is that after the fire has been "extinguished", it can reignite again and again.

You might want to get your Tesla out of the garage and park it on the street....just not near my car please.

You know what else causes fires? Fire..maybe we need to abandon fire technology and go back to caveman living. Imagine how many lives we can save if we stop using fire.

Closed Thread