#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

AWE Tuning

Old 03-04-2022, 04:43 PM   #15
travislambert

Drives: '17 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUQWIKR View Post
If I ever nuke my MM6 in my 17 SS 1LE, I'd put the MG9 from an ATS-V in. 1st through 4th are same ratios, but, 5th & 6th go from 0.74 / 0.50 to 0.80 / 0.63. Higher torque rating too on the MG9 at 565 vs. 500 ft-lb. Would be a nice trans with head / cam which is the plan for my 17 anyways.
I wouldn't recommend changing ratios. Been there, done that. It triggers constant clutch slip warnings in the instrument cluster even after the ratios are set correctly with HP Tuners. I filed the bug report with HP Tuners, but it's a bug they'll likely never fix. I assume the gear ratios are stored in multiple places within the ECM and HP Tuners only updates a subset of those.

2023 Camaro SS 1LE A10
2023 Camaro ZL1 1LE M6
2017 Camaro ZL1 M6
2016 Camaro SS M6 w/LT4 (Sold)
travislambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 05:15 PM   #16
khcoaching

Drives: 2021 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by travislambert View Post
I wouldn't recommend changing ratios. Been there, done that. It triggers constant clutch slip warnings in the instrument cluster even after the ratios are set correctly with HP Tuners. I filed the bug report with HP Tuners, but it's a bug they'll likely never fix. I assume the gear ratios are stored in multiple places within the ECM and HP Tuners only updates a subset of those.
Dang, great catch!

Ken
khcoaching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 05:17 PM   #17
khcoaching

Drives: 2021 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZIROC View Post
I still consider myself "new" to the track stuff (did my 5th one and 6th is in 2 weeks) and I have an A10. I find the A10 amazing (obviously in performance mode). Even on the downshift into a turn, there isn't any squirrely stuff going on in the back and it holds the RPMS up pretty high.
It IS amazing, no doubt. This was running a very quick pace where having to manage the extra rotation on entry from the downshifts were a bit of an issue. For sure easy to overcome with a few driving adjustments, but I couldn't be as aggressive as with the M6.

Ken
khcoaching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 05:09 AM   #18
RUQWIKR

Drives: 1LEs
Quote:
Originally Posted by travislambert View Post
Did you change from a MJK to a MH3 trans?
RUQWIKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 02:21 PM   #19
travislambert

Drives: '17 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUQWIKR View Post
Did you change from a MJK to a MH3 trans?
Yeah, I bought a new MH3 and had it built by RPM to handle 1,000+ ft lbs. In spite of not being able to use 6th without warning messages for the last year, it might actually work out for the best. I have a new ZL1 1LE ordered. If GM ever gets the parts to build it, I plan to swap my engine and trans from my ZL1 into the ZL1 1LE. The ratios will be correct for that car. I can then put the original engine and transmission back into my ZL1.

2023 Camaro SS 1LE A10
2023 Camaro ZL1 1LE M6
2017 Camaro ZL1 M6
2016 Camaro SS M6 w/LT4 (Sold)
travislambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 10:04 AM   #20
LSA

Drives: Fast
A10 is fantastic on track.

The only downside is the gear spacing is too close to manually shift.
LSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 10:48 AM   #21
snekk

Drives: 2021 Camaro 1SS 1LE 10AT
A10 has been great on track for me so far, I actually find that I don't even feel the need to use the paddles manually as the transmission does a really good job of being in the right gear at almost all times and if it isn't it reacts very quickly to throttle input.
  • Castrol SRF Brake Fluid
  • Track Alignment (-2 Front, -1.5 Rear, 0.1 Toe)

2019 VW Golf R DSG (Daily/AutoX)
  • EQT Stage 1 ECU/TCU Tune
  • 350whp, 3.6s 0-60
snekk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 04:59 PM   #22
Rayvan
Rayvan

Drives: 2018 1SS1LE, Silver Ice Metallic
If VIR is the only track you run on, you may try altering the final drive. Seems like you simply have too much gear for that track because of your cam.
Rayvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 08:01 PM   #23
pbsinternet1le

Drives: 2017 1le current /2015 2ss 1le sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayvan View Post
If VIR is the only track you run on, you may try altering the final drive. Seems like you simply have too much gear for that track because of your cam.
I go to several different tracks, I just wish it had a usable 5th gear instead of 2 overdrives..
Old 04-05-2022, 10:12 AM   #24
Quebster

Drives: 2020 ZLE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWG1 View Post
Had both. Tracked both. First a ZL1 A10, then a ZLE M6.

The A10 is faster; no question. It is also remarkable in its ability to find the right gear 95% of the time.

It also runs much hotter- the whole car; not just trans temps. Oil, water, trans all run hotter. I suspect diff as well since it shares a cooling circuit with the trans, but theres no guage to verify. My oil temps were regularly 290+ on the A10.

For a high-use track car, I prefer the M6 for 2 reasons:
1. Heat; as mentioned. My A10 would eat cats. Went through 4 in 1yr of tracking it. Also, when the trans gets over ~240, shifting gets really wonky, even before it codes. I fully overheated it twice to the point of a black flag for smoke. (Aug & Oct at Barber & Road ATL)
It runs hotter if its overfilled. And getting the level right is tough, because its really hard to get it to 220* to check the level on the street.
2. Maintenance. Changing the fluid every 15hrs is a lot. And as mentioned, its a PITA and the dealers do a crap job of setting the level.

The A10 also gets 1mpg less on the track if you care. I could get it down below 3.5mpg for a 20 min session. My ZLE M6 is usually better than 4.5mpg. My two theories: it runs higher avg RPM, and it runs richer the hotter it gets to cool itself down.

I still marvel at the A10. Such an awesome piece of tech. But a converter trans still has drawbacks on track, even in 2022.
This feedback is a little surprising to me. I can't compare the A10 to the M6 directly, but my good track buddy has an M6 ZLE and I have an A10 ZLE. I haven't had any temp issues, and when we compare PDR data, my A10 is what I would consider a pretty negligible amount hotter than his M6 on the same days. I track in 90+ degree weather here in Texas and can't say that heat has been a problem.

Now, I noticed you had a ZL1 A10, and not the 1LE. I would imagine the extra cooling that comes with the 1LE package could make that difference. I certainly haven't gone through any cats in the last 1.5 years I've been tracking the car.

It's also worth noting that the torque converter is only used for 1st gear, and is locked in place for all other gears, meaning the converter is not contributing to any extra heat past 1st gear.

For me, tracking about once a month every month means I'm swapping fluids once a year. You could be tracking much more than me of course, but for me this is more than acceptable.

We're obviously running different tracks, too, so that should be taken into account. I mainly run a 1.7 and 3.1 mile course here in DFW Texas. We're likely at different driving skills I'm sure, but I'll say I won our time trials last season, so I'm definitely getting after it out there. I do NOT say that to brag, just trying to give perspective that I'm not just putting around.

Anyway, just giving some of my input. I did a lot of research before deciding on the A10, and I definitely don't regret it. It seems like most running M6 are using rev-matching and NLS at which point I feel I'd be pretty close to driving an auto anyway as that is doing most of the technical aspects of driving a manual for you. That's just my opinion, don't come at me, lol.

I haven't actually driven both so my perspective is fairly limited, but my closest track buddy is M6 like I said, and we are constantly comparing data.

I also saw someone mention that there are too many gears to manually paddle shift yourself. This is not true, I exclusively use the paddle shifters on our local track, and they work very well. Now when I head up to Hallett, OK, I let it shift itself last time I was out and it was perfect. But for our local track, I don't like the gears it puts me in sometimes, so I stick with manually shifting.

Upshifts are lightning-fast regardless. The downshifts are a little more "lethargic", and this is my only complaint, though it's not a big complaint. They are still quick, and quicker than an M6 shift, but not as quick as a true dual clutch transmission for example. But just like learning when to shift in an M6, you'll learn where you want to shift in the A10 if you're not in auto mode.

Last edited by Quebster; 04-05-2022 at 10:25 AM.
Quebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 10:32 AM   #25
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
I’m not sure the 1LE gets any EXTRA cooling over their SS or ZL1 counter parts

They’re listed saying they have it, maybe not added
Old 04-05-2022, 10:53 AM   #26
Quebster

Could've sworn they advertised the 1LE package giving extra coolers, did they lie to us again? lol I've always translated this as "more coolers than non-1LE"

"Track Cooling Package with engine oil, differential and transmission coolers"

https://www.chevrolet.com/camaro-spo...r/1le-packages

Well if there's no difference in the coolers between the non-1LE and 1LE then I guess that point is moot. I'd love to see some diagrams to confirm. Of course the 1LE has better airflow to the coolers, but I don't see that being the difference in melting cats or not, lol. Even still, I have not had issues with heat on the A10, stock power levels, so I did want to share my experience. Melting cats makes me thinks he has something else going on. Different tracks thrash cars different ways though, maybe Barber & Road ATL are that much harder on a car than ol' MSRC 1.7/1.3/3.1 and Hallet!

Last edited by Quebster; 04-05-2022 at 11:07 AM.
Old 04-05-2022, 11:15 AM   #27
Quebster

Oh, to answer the OP's question, the upshifts are so fast that you don't feel them. Meaning that upshifting mid-corner (which is common for me in the A10) happens all the time and doesn't affect the car at all. Here's my best lap of the day at our local 1.7 mile track a couple of weekend's ago, on some 200tw RT660's. "Big Bend" is at the very beginning of the video and you can see me shifting mid-corner. I'm manually shifting using the paddle shifters through all of this.

https://youtu.be/f18T_E9FfF0

Last edited by Quebster; 04-05-2022 at 12:30 PM.