Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-08-2022, 07:08 AM   #43
Hops

Drives: 2019 1ss 1le, blue wrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyebo View Post
You can even be a track day junkie with a V6, you just got to know the limitations.

I drive a 2018 1LS with MT and a V6. As far as I know, this is the last year GM sold this trim with a V6 option. The stock 18" wheels have almost no performance options in 245/50r18, so I bought the take-off SS wheels so I could unlock more options in 245/40R20 and 275/35R20 sizes. At the same time, there are no 200 TW options (unless you are willing to upsize to 255 and 285 and spend a fortune on Nissan GT-R tires).
While 1LS doesn't get the cooling and suspension goodies a 1LE gets, it's still an enjoyable ride that, with proper camber setup, can take on a road course.
The single-piston brakes are an issue, though. The smaller pads wear out fast (especially in the rear), and there are barely any track-friendly options: I use DFC Track/Street pads from Rockauto.
Lastly, the power is sufficient for Southern California tracks, but the lack of support for tuning and modding makes the higher HP figures pricey and physically unattainable.

That's interesting. I'd thought that cooling would be an issue before the brakes, but i guess the braking limitation keeps a check on overheating? When i bought my Camaro, i struggled with the v6 1le vs ss question because i wanted to cut down on track day costs (insurance + consumables). My ss 1le is manageable, but i don't think i'd be disappointed with $10k and cheaper running costs that come with a v6, i might have done more track days! IMO, with enjoying the track as a goal, it's much better to get a v6 and enjoy the track, than stretch to get a v8 and never do a track day because it's too expensive!

Last edited by Hops; 02-08-2022 at 08:52 AM.
Hops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 08:22 AM   #44
gpskinzhut

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
Quote:
You can even be a track day junkie with a V6, you just got to know the limitations.

I drive a 2018 1LS with MT and a V6. As far as I know, this is the last year GM sold this trim with a V6 option. The stock 18" wheels have almost no performance options in 245/50r18, so I bought the take-off SS wheels so I could unlock more options in 245/40R20 and 275/35R20 sizes. At the same time, there are no 200 TW options (unless you are willing to upsize to 255 and 285 and spend a fortune on Nissan GT-R tires).
While 1LS doesn't get the cooling and suspension goodies a 1LE gets, it's still an enjoyable ride that, with proper camber setup, can take on a road course.
The single-piston brakes are an issue, though. The smaller pads wear out fast (especially in the rear), and there are barely any track-friendly options: I use DFC Track/Street pads from Rockauto.
Lastly, the power is sufficient for Southern California tracks, but the lack of support for tuning and modding makes the higher HP figures pricey and physically unattainable.
You check with Overkill Motorsports with regard to tuning and such?

http://getoverkilled.ca/

2017 ZL1 A10
2017 2SS M6: (SOLD) || 2014 2LT Convertible: (SOLD) || 2010 2LT M6 Supercharged:(SOLD) || 1987 IROC-Z 5.0 M5: (SOLD)
gpskinzhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 11:07 AM   #45
Wobble Goat

Drives: Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by enzia35 View Post
Says the guy with just a 1SS...
Wobble Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 03:16 PM   #46
SDG23

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS M6
I could see owing a V6 M6 as a year round daily perhaps, I mean it's not a "slow" car compared to every other run of the mill car on the road, but I think in general with these cars the concept of driving anything other than the V8 versions seems odd, maybe not to those who have never had a V8, but if you have then you understand. I like my SS a lot, if it didn't have that rumble of the V8 then I admit that I wouldn't like it as much, not that I wouldn't like it at all, but something huge would be missing. I think what it boils down to is that for these cars, the owner needs the V8 experience, otherwise you might as well get a Corolla.
Old 02-08-2022, 03:35 PM   #47
TXCSSU
Account Suspended

Drives: 2022 ZL1 M6/Nissan Leaf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjilslaire View Post
Funny thing is, my 3LT V6 gas door says to use premium fuel.
What grade do you use? I wonder if we should create a new thread about premium fuel.... /sarcasm
TXCSSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 03:38 PM   #48
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Randy Pobst bought the 4 banger. And I'm sure he's faster round the track than all of us.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 03:46 PM   #49
gpskinzhut

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDG23 View Post
I think what it boils down to is that for these cars, the owner needs the V8 experience, otherwise you might as well get a Corolla.
That's you as a buyer, which isn't the case for all buyers. Hence why Camaro has offered diverse product line for decades. Half, if not the majority, want the compromise of sporty appearance and practical cost of ownership, not a rumbling V8 for any number of reasons.

Fortunately, we have the option of either, which is the best solution for all of us.

2017 ZL1 A10
2017 2SS M6: (SOLD) || 2014 2LT Convertible: (SOLD) || 2010 2LT M6 Supercharged:(SOLD) || 1987 IROC-Z 5.0 M5: (SOLD)
gpskinzhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 04:09 PM   #50
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
I could see owing a V6 M6 as a year round daily perhaps, I mean it's not a "slow" car compared to every other run of the mill car on the road, but I think in general with these cars the concept of driving anything other than the V8 versions seems odd, maybe not to those who have never had a V8, but if you have then you understand. I like my SS a lot, if it didn't have that rumble of the V8 then I admit that I wouldn't like it as much, not that I wouldn't like it at all, but something huge would be missing. I think what it boils down to is that for these cars, the owner needs the V8 experience, otherwise you might as well get a Corolla.
There are a few different camps that a buyer may be in. I bought my car because I wanted a convertible. I bought the SS trim because it's a weekend car and I wanted the ability to "play" with V8 power occasionally. In other words, I'm not doing this again for a while... so, I'm getting everything I want now.

If "all" I cared about was having a convertible, I would have happily bought a smaller motor version of the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXCSSU View Post
What grade do you use? I wonder if we should create a new thread about premium fuel.... /sarcasm
Just remember that we have to maintain a balance with fuel grade threads and oil threads. So, a new one of one means a new one of the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpskinzhut View Post
That's you as a buyer, which isn't the case for all buyers. Hence why Camaro has offered diverse product line for decades. Half, if not the majority, want the compromise of sporty appearance and practical cost of ownership, not a rumbling V8 for any number of reasons.

Fortunately, we have the option of either, which is the best solution for all of us.
There's a YT channel where a guy with a V6 Camaro swapped out the exhaust with something that actually gets him a nice sound. It isn't -quite- the same as what you can get with the V8, but it doesn't sound like a run-of-the-mill 6, either.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 05:08 PM   #51
lt4camaro

Drives: 2021 LT1 10 speed auto
Quote:
The overall goodness of the 6th gen alpha chassis is just as much fun to drive with a V6 because its 300 lbs lighter. With 335 horse on tap, my bone stock 2016 6 speed manual v6 did 13.5 in the 1/4 mile on the factory all season tires. Now that kind of performance surpasses any factory stock muscle car of
the 1970s. There is nothing huge missing with these cars regarding handling, braking, accelerating etc that no toyota, nissan, honda can even come close and a car that could be bought brand new for 26 to 28 k
lt4camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 05:23 PM   #52
LA_LT1

Drives: Chevy Camaro LT1, BMW M3
The V6 is a great package, it basically has the same power, weight, and balance of the classic 2000-2006 E46 M3. If you want a real BMW in 2022, you need to get a Camaro lol.

A V6 did a ricer fly by me on the freeway.. it sounded amazing. More like a BMW I6 than a drone machine Nissan VQ.

I am happy with the LT1 but I can see why someone would go for the V6, great sound balance and lower gas and insurance costs.
LA_LT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 06:08 PM   #53
Malbjey

Drives: 2022 Kia Stinger GT2
Quote:
I think what it boils down to is that for these cars, the owner needs the V8 experience, otherwise you might as well get a Corolla.

So buy a FWD, 4 cylinder compact car making 170hp? Instead of a RWD, 335hp performance car?

Dude at least suggest something that is RWD, lol.

That's like telling someone to buy a Honda Accord instead of a Porsche, because the Porsche only has a 6 cylinder engine. What sense does that make?
Malbjey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 06:45 PM   #54
Anjilslaire

Drives: 2021 3LT RS A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXCSSU View Post

lol, whatever is in the Premium nozzle at the pump, tbh. I think my usual place is 93.
Anjilslaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 12:43 PM   #55
Wobble Goat

Drives: Camaro 1SS
Reasons people buy a V6 Camaro.
• They are misinformed.
• They want a muscle car look without the price.
• They haven't driven a V8.
• They can't handle a V8.

• Misinformed. Bought it to save fuel. Its a V8 platform with a smaller motor tossed in it. The small motor will work harder to move the mass not meant for it, hence there isn't a drastic difference in MPG between the engines. Fuel efficiency = how you drive. If you want a vehicle that saves on fuel, purchase a vehicle designed on the smaller drivetrain and drive slow making only right turns.

• Price. Not everyone can find the great deals or be willing to pay the asshole tax for the V8.

• No experience. Once you experience having that higher torque it doesn't feel the same not having it. People daily driving lesser cars know this feeling all to well, where you wish you drove the V8 instead when encountering certain situations.

• Former V8 owners that made poor decisions. Not everyone can ride a motorcycle just like not everyone is capable of "controlling" a V8. These meat puppets trying to show off go WOT while entering a road rather than waiting till their straightened out 1st and end up pile driving there front fascia into a barrier or concrete polishing their rims. They blame everything else for their failure then end up buying a V6 using the 1st and 2nd reasons mentioned above as their excuse.
Wobble Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 01:48 PM   #56
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
meh.drove a big block pontiac for many years,souped up 1966 tempest with a modded TH400,headers and duals.a cop calling car if there ever was one.also got 8 mpg on premium fuel.im quite happy with the 6 cylinder and dont need to be burning the expensive tires off the rear either.im pretty sure less than 40% of buyers opt for the V8,and even fewer ever use it all on the street.not everyone the buys the smaller engines has made a mistake.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote