Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Phastek Performance

Old 11-23-2021, 05:42 PM   #1
paradigm

Drives: 2022 Camaro 1SS 1LE
2021 Camaro LT1 6-speed vs 2021 Mustang GT Base 6-speed

Can anyone provide any insight between the 2021 Camaro LT1 6-speed vs a 2021 Mustang GT base 6-speed?

Torn between which to order.

The Mustang has better visibility, more interior space, better trunk room, easier to daily drive, the coyote sings at high RPMs and the overall car is subjectively better looking. However stock handling is soft, the getrag transmission is known to have issues, the coyote lacks low end grunt, and the car looks very "pedestrian" in stock form.

The Camaro handles better, is more driver oriented, the LT1 motor has plenty of low end grunt, the TR6060 trans shifts beautifully. However the visibility is poor and the interior is cramped.

I know this is a Camaro site so responses will likely be biased, but I am interested in hearing everyone's thoughts.
paradigm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 06:06 PM   #2
sandm

Drives: no more camaro :(
if it was me and what we did, use turo or check your local hertz rental office and rent each one for a day and see what you think.

we did this. I liked the 'stang better but the gf liked the hendricks camaro. guess which one is in our garage.
sandm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 06:30 PM   #3
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
You really should try to drive them on the same day and weigh all the pros and cons. They both have a number of each and which ones matter depends on the person.

The things I don’t like about Camaro:
  • visibility (coupe…I drive a convertible, so not an issue)

The things I don’t like about Mustang:
  • Seating position is too high
  • Getrag manual. Would be my single greatest reason to not buy or to go 10AT

Things I like about both but Camaro does best:
  • Handling
  • Low end torque

Things I like about both but Mustang does best:
  • Stock exhaust note
  • Top end pull

Both have issues with carrying extra people and stuff, but Mustang probably does both of those things a little better. Styling wise I like both when it comes to coupes. When it comes to convertible, it’s Camaro hands down for me. With the top up, Mustang looks like a notchback (yuck). Camaro retains most of the coupe lines, even with the top up.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 06:30 PM   #4
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradigm View Post
Can anyone provide any insight between the 2021 Camaro LT1 6-speed vs a 2021 Mustang GT base 6-speed?

The Mustang has better visibility, more interior space, better trunk room, easier to daily drive, the coyote sings at high RPMs and the overall car is subjectively better looking. However stock handling is soft, the getrag transmission is known to have issues, the coyote lacks low end grunt, and the car looks very "pedestrian" in stock form.

The Camaro handles better, is more driver oriented, the LT1 motor has plenty of low end grunt, the TR6060 trans shifts beautifully. However the visibility is poor and the interior is cramped.

I know this is a Camaro site so responses will likely be biased, but I am interested in hearing everyone's thoughts.

Test drive both, have a good night of sleep and find out which one captured your heart, because let's be honest, these cars are both "want" and not "need" vehicles.

However, since you asked for opinions, you'll get one mine, too "Bad visibility" in the Camaro has been discussed to death, if you set your mirrors right, it's like looking at a widescreen monitor vs a traditional 4:3 one, takes 10 minutes to adapt to either. Not sure if the LT1 can be ordered with the rear view camera mirror, if yes, that solves 99% of the visibility issue.

Trunk space is not bad with the Camaro, the opening is certainly a bit nerf if you want to squeeze wide objects through it, but overall there is plenty of room (in the coupe). That said, the Mustang is definitely better in the trunk space department.

To me, "easier to daily drive" requires an engine that has low end torque, a good clutch and an excellent, reliable transmission. A coupe can realistically only work for up to 2 people as a daily driver, I've yet to see passengers happy to climb in an out of the rear seat on a regular basis.

Interior space is marginally better in the Mustang (believe it or not, rear legroom is better in the Camaro, not that it matters too much at these pathetic levels). Center console and door card storage in the Camaro is definitely subpar, you can only fit a couple gadgets plus a wallet.

Finally, and of course this is highly subjective, but while the Mustang's rear end looks good and strong, side and especially front views are not attractive with the catfish grille, I never was a fan of the "bubble" or "teardrop" body shape either, however aerodynamic that is (no Porsche for me either for the same reason). Base GT Mustangs are also a dime a dozen, there are way fewer 6th gen Camaros on the road, which to me is a good thing.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 05:17 AM   #5
Spaceme1117

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS, 2011 Corvette GS
I would not get a GT Mustang because of the terrible 6-speed GetRag transmission alone.
Spaceme1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 08:16 AM   #6
m6-lt1

Drives: 2023 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
First I’ll start by saying the visibility isn’t as bad as people make it out to be. One of the posters above put it in a great way, with properly adjusted mirrors 99% of the issue is gone anyway and it’s like watching a widescreen tv when you are in the center lane of a highway. I’m not trying to be a smart*** but most people don’t actually know how to adjust their mirrors and/or are too lazy to when jumping in a new car.

This really comes down to are you more into performance or do you just want something sporty to drive on an everyday basis? If you are more performance oriented than the 6th gen camaro is the way to go. The seating position alone makes it feel more special than the mustang. The mustang feels more like a muscle car than a sports car even though low end grunt sucks on it. You sit on top of it and the the car isn’t as planted. It’s actually kind of fun and the car I’d pick if I wanted a more old school feeling car (kinda wish I could have both tbh).

The camaro as you said has plenty of low end grunt (really fun on the street) better trans and is more composed when cornering hard. I had no intention of ever tracking mine when I bought it but because it’s such a track capable car I decided to track it and was very glad I did because it’s so much fun!

I also want to point out that I grew up a mustang guy (never hated Camaros just not my jam). After test driving both 6th gen cars I knew I had to have the camaro because I am a performance first type of guy. I’ll deal with its short comings later, I just need to have all the performance my money can buy.
m6-lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 09:34 AM   #7
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceme1117 View Post
I would not get a GT Mustang because of the terrible 6-speed GetRag transmission alone.
This every day and twice on Sundays. That’s why if I were to get an S550 Mustang it would have to be a GT350, a Mach I, or an A10. Just not feeling the Getrag at all. Side story (some of y’all are used to my side stories.) In 1987 I got assigned as Service Engineer - Manual Transmissions at GM. GM had just set up a joint venture with Getrag at the old Chevrolet Muncie plant in Muncie, Indiana. For two years I spent every Wednesday at the Muncie plant attending the Plant Manager’s meetings and working with the Product Engineers. My first assignment was to learn how to disassemble and reassemble the THM-282 manual transmission and then set up the service kits, tools, and procedures. It was the FWD version of the MT that the MT-82 is based on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m6-lt1 View Post
First I’ll start by saying the visibility isn’t as bad as people make it out to be. One of the posters above put it in a great way, with properly adjusted mirrors 99% of the issue is gone anyway and it’s like watching a widescreen tv when you are in the center lane of a highway. I’m not trying to be a smart*** but most people don’t actually know how to adjust their mirrors and/or are too lazy to when jumping in a new car.

This really comes down to are you more into performance or do you just want something sporty to drive on an everyday basis? If you are more performance oriented than the 6th gen camaro is the way to go. The seating position alone makes it feel more special than the mustang. The mustang feels more like a muscle car than a sports car even though low end grunt sucks on it. You sit on top of it and the the car isn’t as planted. It’s actually kind of fun and the car I’d pick if I wanted a more old school feeling car (kinda wish I could have both tbh).

The camaro as you said has plenty of low end grunt (really fun on the street) better trans and is more composed when cornering hard. I had no intention of ever tracking mine when I bought it but because it’s such a track capable car I decided to track it and was very glad I did because it’s so much fun!

I also want to point out that I grew up a mustang guy (never hated Camaros just not my jam). After test driving both 6th gen cars I knew I had to have the camaro because I am a performance first type of guy. I’ll deal with its short comings later, I just need to have all the performance my money can buy.
Very well stated. For the most part, I agree with the idea that the visibility issue is overrated, with one exception. Setting the mirrors correctly eliminates the blind spots, no doubt. The only visibility issue it cannot handle is the difficulty of accurately projecting where the right front corner is, especially while parking. I tend to over-compensate by parking farther from the curb than most would like. I can imagine that with coupes, seeing the traffic signals at some intersections is compromised by the low roof, requiring stopping a bit short of the intersection. I drive a convertible and the top is down more than it’s up, so it’s become a non-issue.

I also have never hated Mustangs. I’ve owned four of them over the years, compared to one Camaro and two Corvettes. My first Corvette (C4) ruined Mustangs for me. The seating position and the handling capabilities provided what was missing from my Mustangs. I’ve had my current Camaro for almost five years now. The lower seating position and the thrill of tossing it around curves and corners never gets old. The only Mustangs where I’ve experienced that same thrill level were GT350s that I’ve driven. And they are equipped with the excellent Tremec 6MT. Not the same Tremec used in the Camaro, but very similar.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Old 11-24-2021, 10:40 AM   #8
L99BEN

Drives: 2023 BMW M4 Competition
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradigm View Post

My opinion isn't biased, as I am a fan of both from way back and manufacture blind

I recommend giving each a long thorough test drives to see if either the Mustang or Camaro suits you most.

Having owned several mustangs and camaros over the years; for me, the MT82 is a deal breaker, as is the Camaros' cramped interior...

The only manual stangs Id consider currently is the Mach 1 or GT350 with the Tremec manual.

Past:
2022 Tesla S Plaid
2020 Shelby GT500 sold
2019 Hellcat Redeye-traded for new GT500
2019 ZL1 A10 - sold (meh)
2019 Tesla M3P
2016 Hellcat Challenger - A8 sold but never forgotten
2016 Camaro 2SS M6
2014 Mustang GT A6
2012 Mustang GT M6 "brembo" 3.73/FBO
2012 Camaro SS L99 (Wife's)
- slow

Last edited by L99BEN; 11-24-2021 at 11:19 AM.
L99BEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 01:23 PM   #9
m6-lt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
Very well stated. For the most part, I agree with the idea that the visibility issue is overrated, with one exception. Setting the mirrors correctly eliminates the blind spots, no doubt. The only visibility issue it cannot handle is the difficulty of accurately projecting where the right front corner is, especially while parking. I tend to over-compensate by parking farther from the curb than most would like. I can imagine that with coupes, seeing the traffic signals at some intersections is compromised by the low roof, requiring stopping a bit short of the intersection. I drive a convertible and the top is down more than it’s up, so it’s become a non-issue.
So I never realized that people have issues projecting where the right front corner is. As a shorter person I have this issue with every vehicle I’ve owned so to me it was “normal”. The intersection thing is only a minor issue for me as I only experience it when I’m first in line. That being said as a manual driver I am actually almost always looking at the cross traffic lights. When those turn red, that’s when I engage first gear and know my light will be green in a few seconds. The only visibility issue that I truly hate about this car is when I’m at an intersection and I need to either go straight or turn left and my car is not pointing straight. It’s at an angle. I absolutely cannot see anything to my right in this situation. This might be hard to picture but the best way I can describe it is I’m at a t section and I need to turn left. My car is pointed sideways. I can easily see to my left but I absolutely can’t see anything to my right. It’s flat out dangerous when I get to these intersections but they are few and far between fortunately. A fix someone mentioned on these forums was before getting to the white line to stop, hug your car to the left and then turn right a little bit so that your car is as perpendicular as possible to the road. I tried it once and it seemed to work but I haven’t had an opportunity to try it again.
Old 11-24-2021, 01:29 PM   #10
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
So I never realized that people have issues projecting where the right front corner is. As a shorter person I have this issue with every vehicle I’ve owned so to me it was “normal”. The intersection thing is only a minor issue for me as I only experience it when I’m first in line. That being said as a manual driver I am actually almost always looking at the cross traffic lights. When those turn red, that’s when I engage first gear and know my light will be green in a few seconds. The only visibility issue that I truly hate about this car is when I’m at an intersection and I need to either go straight or turn left and my car is not pointing straight. It’s at an angle. I absolutely cannot see anything to my right in this situation. This might be hard to picture but the best way I can describe it is I’m at a t section and I need to turn left. My car is pointed sideways. I can easily see to my left but I absolutely can’t see anything to my right. It’s flat out dangerous when I get to these intersections but they are few and far between fortunately. A fix someone mentioned on these forums was before getting to the white line to stop, hug your car to the left and then turn right a little bit so that your car is as perpendicular as possible to the road. I tried it once and it seemed to work but I haven’t had an opportunity to try it again.
I’m a shorter person, too (5’7”) and I like to sit low, so I may be contributing to the issue. I also have a low front splitter that I’d like to protect, so there’s that.

Of all the cars in my household fleet, the Camaro is the one where I have the least confidence of where that low front right is relative to curbs and other parking obstacles. Not an issue on the track, though. Go figure.

Old 11-24-2021, 03:42 PM   #11
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Yup, this is the 1% case I meant when I said the "issue" was 99% solved.

For some giggles, here is my Chip Foose... erm, kindergarten quality rendering of the situation.
Attached Images

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 07:00 PM   #12
m6-lt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
Yup, this is the 1% case I meant when I said the "issue" was 99% solved.

For some giggles, here is my Chip Foose... erm, kindergarten quality rendering of the situation.
Yes that is exactly the situation I was referring too! Nice drawing too as it got the job done haha
Old 11-25-2021, 03:02 PM   #13
DorsoDuroJohn

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1
I tried both, too much body roll in the Mustang GT for me. Stock for stock they are so close on power. Mustang has more "space", but so does my SUV.
Went with the LT1 in black, had the cloth swapped for heated leather in red, already had the RS package sitting on the lot, larger display and bose sound. Added a splitter and a spoiler, 305/285 1LE size wheels and she rips great. Also, WAY too many mustangs on the road..
Attached Images

DorsoDuroJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 06:07 PM   #14
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Ok so I am probably the only one who thinks the M6 trans in the GT is not that bad at all. I had a 15 GT Premium with 401a option package and M6 trans. I didn't mind the trans even when others claimed it was garbage. A buddy of mine also has a 15 GT with blower and cams and is at 850+ RWHP on the stock engine and it is a DD. And stock trans. So I'm not really sure what people mean when they complain about the trans.

Between the two, as shocking as it might be for me to say this, the Mustang is the better choice for a vehicle that you will have to live with every day. It is just much easier to get in and out of, the door swings wide enough to give plenty of clearance, much more space for groceries and stuff, etc.

However I would not get a Base GT as the stereo sucks in it, the head unit is garbage, and the interior feels flimsy. At least upgrade to the Premium or something with some better options if it is in your budget. BLIS comes in handy. The toggles are nice to have and add a lot of convenience and the coolness factor. And it is nice to have a decent head unit. Shop around and try to get something with some options which should not be difficult to do on a Mustang.

Despite all that both are good choices...it's just that the Stang will be more livable. And if you ever decide to mod, the Camaro stock internals and cam will have you capped much lower than the GT. You should be easil able to get to over 700 RWHP on a GT. Heck you can get to over 800 RWHP on a GT much easier and much cheaper than even a ZL1. LOL!!
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote