#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 10-29-2021, 02:39 PM   #1
SJFGTO
Oh Oh it's Friday Night!

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE Nightfall Gray
My stock suspension isn’t stock

I took my ZLE in to my local dealer to check out a front end noise that I suspected could be loose sway bar end links. It was making a thumping grinding noise at low speeds after it was warmed up. I alerted the service writer about my suspicions and that this had been a known issue with some ZLEs. I have had a couple of track alignments there without issue and they advertise as one of the state’s largest Corvette dealers, so I assume they have some “high performance” expertise in the service department. Two hours after I dropped off my Camaro the service writer called back and said they would not work on my car because the suspension was not stock. Huh? I told him that the engine and exhaust were clearly modded, but it was a stock ZL1 with the 1LE track package. After some debate he said he would check with the technician again. They ultimately decided my suspension was “stock” and, low and behold, they had to tighten the end links. Problem solved with my non stock stock suspension.
2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE NFG; ARH 2” headers, catless mids, ARH full exhaust, Lingenfelter 18% lower pulley, ATI Harmonic Balancer, Roto-fab CAI, EE-catch can, TM ported TB, NX Lid, BMR strut tower brace. Aeroforce dual pod interceptor gauges. Tuned by Vengeance Racing!!! 644 HP @ 6250 rpm / 689 trq @ 3660 rpm

Four that wanna own me
Two that wanna stone me
One says she's a friend of mine...
SJFGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 03:12 PM   #2
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
It's amazing how uneducated some dealership techs' are. That shouldn't have even happened.

It's why I can't stand going to the dealer. My last experience was just fine, but it's always something...

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 03:37 PM   #3
FlowTie

Drives: ZL1-1LE 6MT
I don't understand how you can make fun of the dealer for that mistake when it was as simple as a loose end link on your car. Not a lot of A's for effort in this scenario is all I'm saying. I'm assuming you have a warranty and that was the issue with them wrenching on it. Not much you can do about it yet but dealer maintenance is a scam once out of warranty. I always tell people drop the dealer as soon as you're out of warranty because they aren't typically very well versed and you will absolutely waste money.
FlowTie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 06:39 PM   #4
Vigilante375

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowTie View Post
I don't understand how you can make fun of the dealer for that mistake when it was as simple as a loose end link on your car. Not a lot of A's for effort in this scenario is all I'm saying. I'm assuming you have a warranty and that was the issue with them wrenching on it. Not much you can do about it yet but dealer maintenance is a scam once out of warranty. I always tell people drop the dealer as soon as you're out of warranty because they aren't typically very well versed and you will absolutely waste money.
It's very easy to make fun of the dealer in his situation. You must have not read his post.

The tech said the suspension wasn't stock because the car had the 1LE track package which this tech must have only seen non 1LE cars. Plus, does he have the tools and parts on hand? Maybe he wanted the dealer to do this since there is a TSB out for this issue.

Of course he doesn't have a warranty since the car is modded.....so....

I take my car for transmission fluid changes since it's a pain in the ass. I do everything else. But any place can screw up your car.

Anyways, OP.... every dealer is different. The dealer I go to hasn't given any problems and uses their techs that are certified to work the high performance cars.
Vigilante375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 07:16 PM   #5
Camaro1973

Drives: 2019 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilante375 View Post
It's very easy to make fun of the dealer in his situation. You must have not read his post.

The tech said the suspension wasn't stock because the car had the 1LE track package which this tech must have only seen non 1LE cars. Plus, does he have the tools and parts on hand? Maybe he wanted the dealer to do this since there is a TSB out for this issue.

I take my car for transmission fluid changes since it's a pain in the ass. I do everything else. But any place can screw up your car.

Anyways, OP.... every dealer is different. The dealer I go to hasn't given any problems and uses their techs that are certified to work the high performance cars.
If a dealer is going to sell you a “high performance GM car” then you sure bet the dealer should have trained techs to work on them.

Honestly it’s embarrassing that one of the dealer techs said it wasn’t stock suspension. There’s no excuse in saying he’s never seen it before, that shouldn’t of happened in the first place.

LME 377 LT4 Short Block | Magnuson 2650 80mm upper w/13% lower (9.06) | DSX Lid & Valve Covers | CSP Custom Cam w/32% fuel lobe | CID Heads | NW 103mm TB | Roto Fab Big Gulp | CSP 2" Headers w/Green GESI Gen 2 Cats | Borla 3" Full Cat Back w/ S-Type| Mighty Mouse Wild Catch Can| Custom Holley Low side Fuel system| TooHigh PSI Port Injection w/Holley Controller | Forced Inductions Interchiller w/2 gallon fender tank | TK Performance built 10L90
Camaro1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 07:23 PM   #6
SJFGTO
Oh Oh it's Friday Night!

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE Nightfall Gray
I wanted the dealer to take a look because there is a TSB and in the event there was a suspension issue that was more involved. I just thought it was unusual, and I got a chuckle, when a tech looked at a bone stock suspension and concluded that it was not stock. Thats all.
2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE NFG; ARH 2” headers, catless mids, ARH full exhaust, Lingenfelter 18% lower pulley, ATI Harmonic Balancer, Roto-fab CAI, EE-catch can, TM ported TB, NX Lid, BMR strut tower brace. Aeroforce dual pod interceptor gauges. Tuned by Vengeance Racing!!! 644 HP @ 6250 rpm / 689 trq @ 3660 rpm

Four that wanna own me
Two that wanna stone me
One says she's a friend of mine...
SJFGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 07:43 PM   #7
serper3

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJFGTO View Post
I wanted the dealer to take a look because there is a TSB and in the event there was a suspension issue that was more involved. I just thought it was unusual, and I got a chuckle, when a tech looked at a bone stock suspension and concluded that it was not stock. Thats all.
It's crazy! I called a local dealer who hosts track days and was recommended to me to go get my track alignment done for the zle. I called and asked if they would flip the top hats to the track setting or if I needed to do that before I drove the car there. He had absolutely no idea what i was talking about and told me there is nothing that needs to be done, they can just align it. eventually he said he would call me back, and said, yea we can take care of it..

The reason i tried to go to this dealer in the first place, is I was hoping i wouldnt have to deal with that, but oh well, it is what it is.
serper3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 09:47 PM   #8
FlowTie

Drives: ZL1-1LE 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilante375 View Post

I read the OP lol. Not trying to ruffle any feathers, it's just something I'm betting he could have tackled himself in five minutes. Hunting leaking fluids and loose bolts is practically a cursory measure before taking it in for any kind of service I guess, would have saved him fiddy bux in this case. Granted he's not a dealer tech, I get it that, sorry if I seemed mean spirited.

He can still be covered if the mods are not proven to be the cause of any faults which the warranty would otherwise cover. I've had a few modded cars still hold up under warranty conditions, but you're right it's usually not a smart idea to expect the warranty to save you any money once you cross that line with the engine/tranny/suspension mods. I believe he's probably done in his engine warranty with the tune/exhaust alone if he has one, but his drivetrain warranty should be fine.
FlowTie is offline   Reply With Quote