#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-28-2021, 07:59 AM   #113
laynlo15

Drives: 2022 Lt1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z OH 6 View Post
We upgraded the wheels on our C8 Z51 also. 325's in the rear. Changed the whole look of the car. BC Forged wheels were not nearly as expensive as some of the other aftermarket options and they trimmed about 40lbs off the car total. Coupled with an AWE touring catback exhaust which added another 19hp and trimmed another 31lbs off the car, for a total weight savings of just over 70lbs. This car felt very nimble and quick. I can only imagine what the Z06 is going to feel like with even more traction and power.

I have a buddy in Florida that just got his 2022 White C8 and I think its the best looking color on that car. Yours by far is the best looking C8 I've seen, very tastefully modded.
2022 Lt1 6.2 A10, Maggie 2300, THPSI Port Inj/10 rib, Rotofab, E, Nickey, SCOL, Griptech, RC Bandits, Hoosiers/MT 9.80@142.96 1.44 60ft, 6.34@112 707/669 RWHP/TRQ. 16SS Maggie 2650 9.41@147 1.35 60ft, 5.99@119. 16 C7 A8 10.90@128 Bolt on stuff
laynlo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 08:15 AM   #114
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by laynlo15 View Post
The C8s in IMSA have been running the 5.5 flat crank for 2 seasons now so I think they've worked out any issues on reliability. These are also hand built like the Ls7s were in the C6s so tolerances will be much measured more accurately then a assembly line built engine. I think this is the most bad ass sports car GM has ever built. I'd buy one if I was 10 year younger but I'm not so I'll just be happy with my current ride.
IMPRESSED
I totally agree with you that we should expect top drawer reliability from the LT6. I will play a bit of “devil’s advocate” here and point out that Voodoo has also been hand-built since its inception with really tight tolerances. Yet, they had oil consumption issues out of the gate.

So hand-built is not a silver bullet, but GM has been playing the hand-built game for longer and with better results than Ford has. And for that reason, I’m a lot more positive about the prospects of LT6 reliability and durability.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 08:17 AM   #115
laynlo15

Drives: 2022 Lt1 A10
I've been following this guy and ran across this about the Lt6 engine. Enjoy
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...uch-power.html
Love this guy, smart, smart and smart
2022 Lt1 6.2 A10, Maggie 2300, THPSI Port Inj/10 rib, Rotofab, E, Nickey, SCOL, Griptech, RC Bandits, Hoosiers/MT 9.80@142.96 1.44 60ft, 6.34@112 707/669 RWHP/TRQ. 16SS Maggie 2650 9.41@147 1.35 60ft, 5.99@119. 16 C7 A8 10.90@128 Bolt on stuff
laynlo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 09:11 AM   #116
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by laynlo15 View Post
I have a buddy in Florida that just got his 2022 White C8 and I think its the best looking color on that car. Yours by far is the best looking C8 I've seen, very tastefully modded.
Thanks! You didn't even get to see the AWE touring catback exhaust with quad black diamond tips, really makes the rear end look a LOT better too.
Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 09:11 AM   #117
Zone5

Drives: Camaro ZL1, Dodge TRX
I've read every post in this thread. First off, the new ZO6 is NA because it's Corvette's race-car, and superchargers overheat on the road-course. Maybe not for a few laps, but try one in a typical SCCA or NASA or PBOC 40 minute race. They are not ideal for a road-course car.

Second, mid engine cars, all other things being equal, are better balanced than front or rear engined cars. Balance is key for cornering, and traction out of the corner. Sure there's going to be some weight transfer with every design, but mid-engine is best overall. Think Ferrari, Lambo, and every other ultra-high-end sports-car.

Third, the issue of torque. 460 pound/feet of torque is not "low torque." 670 horsepower, on the other hand, is high horsepower. The flat-plane-crank style of engine revs very quickly. it will be very easy to keep the RPMs up in the sweet spot to maximize acceleration. If it feels soft coming out of the corner, squeeze the left paddle twice, and in one millisecond you'll rocket out of the corner. I think it's funny that a couple of the guys complaining about torque are the same ones saying they'd rather have a Porsche GT3. News Flash: less torque!

Finally, ADM. I just ordered a new ZO6 yesterday with a $1000 non-refundable deposit. My little, local dealership sells 5-6 Corvettes a month, with no ADM. My ZO6 will not have a ADM. Not all dealerships charge ADM.

The new ZO6 is a world-class sports-car. And it's a Chevy, just like our beloved ZL1s. My problem will be whether I trade the ZL1 in, or try to waggle keeping both. Great job Chevy!
Zone5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 09:29 AM   #118
FoundNemo

Drives: 2019 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone5 View Post
I've read every post in this thread. First off, the new ZO6 is NA because it's Corvette's race-car, and superchargers overheat on the road-course. Maybe not for a few laps, but try one in a typical SCCA or NASA or PBOC 40 minute race. They are not ideal for a road-course car.

Second, mid engine cars, all other things being equal, are better balanced than front or rear engined cars. Balance is key for cornering, and traction out of the corner. Sure there's going to be some weight transfer with every design, but mid-engine is best overall. Think Ferrari, Lambo, and every other ultra-high-end sports-car.

Third, the issue of torque. 460 pound/feet of torque is not "low torque." 670 horsepower, on the other hand, is high horsepower. The flat-plane-crank style of engine revs very quickly. it will be very easy to keep the RPMs up in the sweet spot to maximize acceleration. If it feels soft coming out of the corner, squeeze the left paddle twice, and in one millisecond you'll rocket out of the corner. I think it's funny that a couple of the guys complaining about torque are the same ones saying they'd rather have a Porsche GT3. News Flash: less torque!

Finally, ADM. I just ordered a new ZO6 yesterday with a $1000 non-refundable deposit. My little, local dealership sells 5-6 Corvettes a month, with no ADM. My ZO6 will not have a ADM. Not all dealerships charge ADM.

The new ZO6 is a world-class sports-car. And it's a Chevy, just like our beloved ZL1s. My problem will be whether I trade the ZL1 in, or try to waggle keeping both. Great job Chevy!
Would love to know where ya ordered with no ADM. Nice deal! I think most will be dealing with ADM though unfortunately.
FoundNemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 09:32 AM   #119
GearheadSS

Drives: 23 LT1/22 Colorado TB/69 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenix38 View Post
Gonna be honest the cars body is not appealing to me, looks like a Modena 360. Which Corvettes have always had a unique body design to set it apart from any present or past sports car. The side vents look like a dolphins mouth

The engine is ok, hp number looks good till you see the tq number. It’s a FPC engine, and the GT350 has this same engine design and its been a ticking time bomb for its owners. Interested to see how reliable it is compared to the voodoo.

Compared to a base c8 the z06 looks similar enough that if you were not a car person you wouldn’t be able to tell the difference between the two.

I don’t see this car being sold for under 130k. Dealer markup is going to be insane. You have used base c8s selling for over 100k just cause dealers can get away with marking the cars up.
As with Stingray, there are plenty of dealers not selling above MSRP. We are just one of many that will not sell Z06 above MSRP.
GearheadSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 09:35 AM   #120
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Quote:
Its not about peak torque numbers, the torque curve and gearing matters much more. The engine also revs extremely quick supposedly. This is not the same as a VTEC engine with a narrow power band in the high rpms.

Case in point, the ZL1's LT4 makes more peak torque at a slightly lower rpm than a Hellcat's engine yet the Hellcat is just as quick off the line even in a car that weighs over 500lbs more. The Hellcat has a very fat torque curve and is geared to take advantage of it.
Its not about peak torque...it's about a broad torque curve. The LT6 won't have that. It will be a linear curve that will need to downshift to get it up in power to pull. I agree the gearing will help but it's still not going to pull like a engine that makes over 500ft lbs at 2k rpm. Even the LT1 makes 400ft lbs at 2k rpm. It's nice when you don't have to downshift several gears to pull hard on a street car. For a track car sure High RPM is Lyfe and that apparently is GM's goal. I am ok with that just not my cup of tea.

The Hellcat is only as quick off the line as a ZL1 because the TCM doesn't let the throttle open all the way in 1st gear. Dodge tuning is more aggressive on both the ECU and TCM from the factory...GM tuning is soft and always has been. Both the ZL1 and HC have very broad torque curves regardless of where peak torque is.

I personally am not a fan of the exotic sound coming from a Vette. I do like the looks of the Car...GM did well on the C8Z design. If you could order them bare bones without all the electronics and controllers so they can be tuned I would entertain the idea of owning one. That is how they need to be in order to get back to the C5 and C6 roots. Heat, AC, Radio, and Analog gauges...get rid of all the digital BS and offer a simplified track car. Why do you need all that if it is a "track car"? The roots of a ZL1 and Z06 were not well equipped cars with wireless charging, ball sack coolers, and a dash that lights up like a EDM concert.

Either way I respect your opinion and have no doubts it's going to be a helluva car. GM is moving the direction they feel is necessary. Some will like it others won't. You can't please everyone...
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 09:40 AM   #121
Zone5

Drives: Camaro ZL1, Dodge TRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoundNemo View Post
Would love to know where ya ordered with no ADM. Nice deal! I think most will be dealing with ADM though unfortunately.
Probably so. But anyway, it's Cowboy Chevrolet, Heber Springs AR. No ADM, but you have to finance through them and make at least 6 monthly payments before paying it off, or refinancing, or just continue to make payments. Rates contingent upon your credit rating and normal economic factors. Right now 3.6%.

Their Corvette sales are the only thing keeping that dealership alive at this point. The freaking chip shortage/dependence on Chinese made goods is killing the US auto industry right now.
Zone5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 09:43 AM   #122
Z OH 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
Its not about peak torque...it's about a broad torque curve. The LT6 won't have that. It will be a linear curve that will need to downshift to get it up in power to pull. I agree the gearing will help but it's still not going to pull like a engine that makes over 500ft lbs at 2k rpm. Even the LT1 makes 400ft lbs at 2k rpm. It's nice when you don't have to downshift several gears to pull hard on a street car. For a track car sure High RPM is Lyfe and that apparently is GM's goal. I am ok with that just not my cup of tea.

The Hellcat is only as quick off the line as a ZL1 because the TCM doesn't let the throttle open all the way in 1st gear. Dodge tuning is more aggressive on both the ECU and TCM from the factory...GM tuning is soft and always has been. Both the ZL1 and HC have very broad torque curves regardless of where peak torque is.

I personally am not a fan of the exotic sound coming from a Vette. I do like the looks of the Car...GM did well on the C8Z design. If you could order them bare bones without all the electronics and controllers so they can be tuned I would entertain the idea of owning one. That is how they need to be in order to get back to the C5 and C6 roots. Heat, AC, Radio, and Analog gauges...get rid of all the digital BS and offer a simplified track car. Why do you need all that if it is a "track car"? The roots of a ZL1 and Z06 were not well equipped cars with wireless charging, ball sack coolers, and a dash that lights up like a EDM concert.

Either way I respect your opinion and have no doubts it's going to be a helluva car. GM is moving the direction they feel is necessary. Some will like it others won't. You can't please everyone...
Well, there's no question the Corvette has evolved from a luxury standpoint but its because Corvette owners and the media demanded it. Remember how the C4, C5 and C6 use to get so much negativity for their cheap and dated looking interiors. GM is responding with higher quality material and more creature comforts to appease the masses.

I still think the Z06 is going to feel very quick, I can only speak on behalf of the C8 Stingray Z51 we owned. It felt very quick even for 500hp, and torque rating wasn't much higher than the Z06. If the Z06 revs as quick as they make it out, and with the right gearing and a DCT tuned to be very responsive, I don't think anyone will miss the torque numbers of the previous LT4, LT5 and LT2. I feel confident that GM has been very careful not to miss the mark with this vehicle. Probably the only thing some may still wish to have is a manual trans for those that like to row their own gears.

Before we sold our C8, I had a tough decision to make if I wanted to sell my modded ZL1 and keep the C8 Stingray. I ultimately decided that I needed just a bit more power than the C8 Stingray could offer. If I had not previously owned a 1000hp Hellcat, and if I hadn't owned a modded ZL1, I could have been perfectly happy with the C8 Stingray as we had it, lighter wheels and catback exhaust. But there's a certain level of G-Force that I need to feel and the C8 just didn't give as much of it as my ZL1 did. Knowing the ZL1 was already boosted makes it easier to add more power if needed and the limited tuning of the C8 Stingray is what finally made my decision. Early rumors of a 620hp Z06 didn't appeal to me much but 670hp is mighty tempting even if I can't really mod it. I feel like the C8 platform being mid engine, wider wheels and tires could probably put down 800hp to the ground rather easily.
Old 10-28-2021, 10:00 AM   #123
KingLT1

Quote:
Well, there's no question the Corvette has evolved from a luxury standpoint but its because Corvette owners and the media demanded it. Remember how the C4, C5 and C6 use to get so much negativity for their cheap and dated looking interiors. GM is responding with higher quality material and more creature comforts to appease the masses.

I still think the Z06 is going to feel very quick, I can only speak on behalf of the C8 Stingray Z51 we owned. It felt very quick even for 500hp, and torque rating wasn't much higher than the Z06. If the Z06 revs as quick as they make it out, and with the right gearing and a DCT tuned to be very responsive, I don't think anyone will miss the torque numbers of the previous LT4, LT5 and LT2. I feel confident that GM has been very careful not to miss the mark with this vehicle. Probably the only thing some may still wish to have is a manual trans for those that like to row their own gears.
I am sure it will still feel quick...but I bet it doesn't feel quicker then a LT2 until it gets up over 5-6k rpm is all I am saying. Then it's going to pull away hard. The LT2 makes a lot of torque down in the off idle to 4k rpm range. It makes close to its peak number through out the RPM range. DOHC engines typically make a lot less torque down low compared to peak. The shape of the torque curves increase linear like horsepower. It's going to be a different feel is all. Some will love it others will miss the truck torque feel. Some like Procharger for linear power, others like PD for the instant power. Same difference here...
Old 10-28-2021, 10:02 AM   #124
Callaway_1

Drives: 2018 ZL1 convertible
I am excited about the new Z06/Z07. this is the C8 I was waiting for.
Callaway_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 10:10 AM   #125
Z OH 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
I am sure it will still feel quick...but I bet it doesn't feel quicker then a LT2 until it gets up over 5-6k rpm is all I am saying. Then it's going to pull away hard. The LT2 makes a lot of torque down in the off idle to 4k rpm range. It makes close to its peak number through out the RPM range. DOHC engines typically make a lot less torque down low compared to peak. The shape of the torque curves increase linear like horsepower. It's going to be a different feel is all. Some will love it others will miss the truck torque feel. Some like Procharger for linear power, others like PD for the instant power. Same difference here...
Could be, I can't really say until I drive one. I have no doubt the torque curve is going to be different, just a matter of whether or not it provides enough torque to satisfy, coupled with a responsive transmission and gearing. Don't know if you've ever driven a Buick GN, but those had a unique feel due to the turbo lag and high boost. It was quite addicting once the boost started to build and it felt like you were rear ended by a high speed train once it got moving. Like you said, different feel but that rush of sudden power sure was addicting.
Old 10-28-2021, 10:20 AM   #126
KingLT1

Quote:
Could be, I can't really say until I drive one. I have no doubt the torque curve is going to be different, just a matter of whether or not it provides enough torque to satisfy, coupled with a responsive transmission and gearing. Don't know if you've ever rode in a Buick GN, but those had a unique feel due to the turbo lag and high boost. It was quite addicting once the boost started to build and it felt like you were rear ended by a high speed train once it got moving. Like you said, different feel but that rush of sudden power sure was addicting.
Oh yeah I have rode in a few of them. A friend of mine has one with a series 2 3800 swap and larger turbo. Fun cars for sure...love G bodies. I have driven or ridden all different types of cars. My brother had a SRT-4 that was built running 40psi...went from no power to all hell braking loose. I am not a big fan of turbo stuff either way. I have owned, ridden, or driven, Turbo, Centri, PD, NA Big Blocks, Exotics and DOHC stuff. My favorite is PD small blocks and NA Big Blocks....simply because Big Blocks with any kind of power adder does nothing but burnouts on the street lol. But Honestly Big Blocks that turn 8k rpm are the GOAT!