Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Phastek Performance

Old 08-08-2021, 09:04 PM   #225
Skyman2112

Drives: 2016 2SS blue velvet w/blk stripes
I already have an extra battery cable grounding the block to the chassis, but when i installed ceramic coated headers, i noticed sometimes if i have to stop and restart the car right away it barely starts, as in 9.58 volts according to my battery monitor. Should i get an extra heat shield?
Current mods. Rotofab CAI, Speed Engineering Long Tube Headers and plug wires w custom tune. Shock tower brace, ground effects, OEM brake air ducts and splash gaurd delete, 275/315 tires on 10 and 11 inch MRR wheels.
Skyman2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 10:13 PM   #226
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyman2112 View Post
I already have an extra battery cable grounding the block to the chassis, but when i installed ceramic coated headers, i noticed sometimes if i have to stop and restart the car right away it barely starts, as in 9.58 volts according to my battery monitor. Should i get an extra heat shield?
If you are still using your original battery it is time for a new battery.
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 10:04 AM   #227
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post
If you are still using your original battery it is time for a new battery.
Agreed - I'd start with a battery check. The engine to body ground helps to overcome the the heat soaked starter drag when there is a healthy battery. A weak battery can't overcome the heat soak even with a good ground.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 12:10 PM   #228
Blobby

Drives: Former Owner '16 Camaro 2LT V6 conv
Are there traditional flooded batteries have a vent hose like AGM? As far as I can tell, AGM batts don’t have much of an advantage besides the safety aspect. The second perk I read they have is lower maintenance, but my flooded batts have always been, quite literally, zero maintenance.
Blobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 07:21 PM   #229
oOKhanhOo

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Just ordered from BATTERYCABLESUSA two 24" cables, I went with the 2/0AWG wire. What is the bolt size/thread?

Quote:
Added an additional ground cable to help with the slow crank/hot engine issue...

Bought the cable from BatteryCablesUSA, 21" 0 Gauge (1/0), 3/8" connectors (M10): $12.81 + $3.97 shipping = $16.78 + $3.18 at Home Depot for a new bolt, nuts and washers... Total: $19.96 installed, took about 10 minutes...

oOKhanhOo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 07:29 PM   #230
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by oOKhanhOo View Post
What is the bolt size/thread?
See this post: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showp...&postcount=124
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
Old 08-31-2021, 10:09 PM   #231
oOKhanhOo

Update: I wired the wired it to the negative post in the engine bay and onto the engine. It did NOT fix my problem (slow crank/no crank/single click from starter solenoid I believe) :(
Old 09-01-2021, 01:22 PM   #232
SSDan

Quote:
Update: I wired the wired it to the negative post in the engine bay and onto the engine. It did NOT fix my problem (slow crank/no crank/single click from starter solenoid I believe) :(
That's too bad! You may have more going on if you have a no crank situation and hear a click from the solenoid. I assume you have tested the battery/charging system and have good voltage.

Is the slow crank on a cold or a hot engine? Could you post a picture of where you connected the new ground cable if you used a different location than in this thread?

Most of us with the slow crank/hot engine have had 2016 SS models. I haven't read about any 2018 models with the issue until your post.

Good luck and keep us posted.

476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
Old 09-05-2021, 02:34 PM   #233
oOKhanhOo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDan View Post
That's too bad! You may have more going on if you have a no crank situation and hear a click from the solenoid. I assume you have tested the battery/charging system and have good voltage.

Is the slow crank on a cold or a hot engine? Could you post a picture of where you connected the new ground cable if you used a different location than in this thread?

Most of us with the slow crank/hot engine have had 2016 SS models. I haven't read about any 2018 models with the issue until your post.

Good luck and keep us posted.

No crank, single click I believe from the starter solenoid, when cold happened a couple days. That was the first time ever happening on a cold start.

Slow/no crank(single click) is happening on warm/hot start. I connected the new ground at the same location as the pic a few posts above. There are days where it starts up with no problem. But these symptoms has been more frequent as time goes by.

I need to load test the battery and connect the extra ground wire I bought in the trunk.
Old 09-05-2021, 03:10 PM   #234
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Quote:
No crank, single click I believe from the starter solenoid, when cold happened a couple days. That was the first time ever happening on a cold start.

Slow/no crank(single click) is happening on warm/hot start. I connected the new ground at the same location as the pic a few posts above. There are days where it starts up with no problem. But these symptoms has been more frequent as time goes by.

I need to load test the battery and connect the extra ground wire I bought in the trunk.
Sounds like your battery is shot...

Old 09-05-2021, 03:24 PM   #235
Blobby

Drives: Former Owner '16 Camaro 2LT V6 conv
Quote:
Or wiggle the batt connections. There’s more than just a + & - back there to loosen or get cruddy.
Blobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 03:25 PM   #236
oOKhanhOo

Quote:

I hope that's the case! Much cheaper than starter replacement or any other causes.
Old 09-08-2021, 03:34 PM   #237
oOKhanhOo

UPDATE: I went to Autozone and had them test my battery while it’s still in the car. It turns out to be a bad battery according to their device.
Old 09-08-2021, 04:56 PM   #238
SSDan

Quote:
UPDATE: I went to Autozone and had them test my battery while it’s still in the car. It turns out to be a bad battery according to their device.
Here is hoping that new battery added to the ground cable(s) you've added puts your car right and your starting woes are behind you.

476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)