Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-12-2021, 10:39 AM   #43
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
With the tech in the car for AA/CarPlay, I honestly don't know what having the screen of the phone visible in any form would really add as a value component. I'm all for just tucking the phone away somewhere discreet and having a cable connected for charging...
Android Auto lets you run Waze on your phone while simultaneously running Google maps on the car's navigation screen which I normally do on trips. So I have two possible alert sources instead of one (plus a radar detector). A piece of blown out tire not marked on Waze took a chunk out of my original front splitter...I will take all of the advanced warning I can get for hazards.

At track days I will run the Harry's Lap Timer app on my phone with 10Hz GPS to get live +/- comparison to my best lap time that I will glance at occasionally, especially on straightaways. The car's screen is used to start the built-in PDR video/data recorder system at the beginning of each session.

Last edited by cdrptrks; 08-12-2021 at 10:59 AM.
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 10:48 AM   #44
cdrptrks

This is the phone mount I use. It does great for normal driving and track days. Just be sure to put something behind it to prevent scratching where it touches the dash. I added some black tape on the chrome arms since they would occasionally reflect the sun into my eyes without the phone in place and I will sometimes put my phone in the cupholder instead of the ram mount for short trips. It rocks back and forth in the cupholder with hard acceleration and braking though.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0117SE7CK

Plus there are some pictures of how I tethered it behind the car's screen with hidden zip ties in case the suction cup fails (required by one local track day group).

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...0#post10941470
Attached Images

Last edited by cdrptrks; 08-12-2021 at 11:02 AM.
Old 08-12-2021, 11:06 AM   #45
digitalfutur

Drives: 2018 Camaro RS 3.6 A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaimer View Post
we can all pretend that these phone mounts aren’t used in traffic, whether it is simply looking at the device while moving, or engaging with some sort of touch/audio interaction..but it happens. Those who say it makes absolutely no difference or either blatantly lying or delusional.lol All there is to it. Go through traffic anywhere and tell me if people are on their phones. Now, further tell me that these exceptional mounts don’t encourage that use.
They don't encourage that use any more than the car interface does, which is also a touch screen. The USB or wireless connection between the phone and the car is an integral part of the vehicle from the factory...how its's used is up to the user.

If some people are too dumb or weak-willed to use a docked phone safely and sensibly, then by all means keep it from temptation. The rest of us have better self-control.
digitalfutur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 11:13 AM   #46
cdrptrks

The problem I have with the ProClip console mount in the Camaro is that it mounts so low that you lose peripheral vision of the cars in front of you when you glance down at it. IMO this is the main problem with phone use while driving: the (hopefully short) amount of time when you are driving blind while looking down to interact with the phone. If you get a mount that sits higher up you can still see brake lights in front of you in your peripheral vision as soon as they come on even if you happen to be interacting with the phone at that moment.

Also ProClip requires you to buy another mount if you upgrade to a newer phone and they don't even sell mounts for less popular phone models.
Old 08-12-2021, 03:25 PM   #47
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
Gas Buddy for starters. I also have several of the fast food apps on my phone so I can order and pay for my burgers or whatever from the car while I’m in the McWendy’s King parking lot.

Finally, I just ordered an OBD dongle that I will connect to the Torque Pro app. This will allow me to see what the ethanol content is in my tank when I fill up on E85.

Let’s not make the logic leap of thinking that because the phone is in field of view that there is active engagement while the car is moving. I have no issue looking at Gas Buddy while stopped at a light or before I leave a parking spot.
I make my fast food orders while sitting still in their parking lot, in line. Not at 75 mph trying to find the nearest drive-thru.

So, those of you who use ProClip or cup holder mounts or window suction cup mounts, good on ya! Use responsibly. Those of you who prefer a nice uncluttered interior and can do without the distraction of the phone in a holder, good on ya! Enjoy the tranquility. Let’s stop trying to convert each other.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaimer View Post
What is the purpose of this..?
  1. I can view the menu and make my decision(s) before I get to the speaker.
  2. I can pay for my order as I make my decision.
  3. Most of the major fast foods have perks for mobile orders. McD offers a second breakfast sandwich for $0.01, BK often offers free fries with whatever sandwich they happen to be pushing that week. Taco Bell has items on the mobile app menu that aren't on the main menu.
  4. All of them let you customize your food. I hate onions with a passion. I love extra tomatoes. I also love being able to add jalapenos and/or guac to my taco or burritos on Taco Bell's app AND TB allows you to save your customizations for future orders.
  5. All of them have rewards programs for using mobile apps that quickly turn into $$ off or free stuff. Just got a free Spicy Chicken Sandwich at Wendy's with the points I've earned using the mobile app.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 03:30 PM   #48
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Since I was just driving with my phone in the ProClip while using Waze, I need to point out something that I forgot to mention before. My phone is setup to blank the screen when I'm not interacting with it. Meaning 90+% of the time it is in my ProClip, the screen is black.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 03:57 PM   #49
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
  1. I can view the menu and make my decision(s) before I get to the speaker.
  2. I can pay for my order as I make my decision.
  3. Most of the major fast foods have perks for mobile orders. McD offers a second breakfast sandwich for $0.01, BK often offers free fries with whatever sandwich they happen to be pushing that week. Taco Bell has items on the mobile app menu that aren't on the main menu.
  4. All of them let you customize your food. I hate onions with a passion. I love extra tomatoes. I also love being able to add jalapenos and/or guac to my taco or burritos on Taco Bell's app AND TB allows you to save your customizations for future orders.
  5. All of them have rewards programs for using mobile apps that quickly turn into $$ off or free stuff. Just got a free Spicy Chicken Sandwich at Wendy's with the points I've earned using the mobile app.
I pull directly into the curbside spots and place my order right there. I don't waste my time in the drive thru. I should probably USE my McD points as I'm sitting on about 12k of them. lmao

Super quick and easy to just reorder the same as a previous order. Park, turn off the engine, order, and wait. No wasting gas, and it's no different in how long it takes to get your food. The ability to interact directly with the phone is immensely easier than trying to use the touch screen.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 09:40 AM   #50
PnCRedJwl2SS
Howdy! Pete here...

Drives: 2017 50th Anniv 2SS, A8, NPP, MRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPws6 View Post
I bought a new Iphone 12 with magnetic charge capability. All of that aside, the 6th gen is well known for being difficult with mounting phones unless you want to give up the precious free space we have in the front window or don't mind glue on you dash.
My 2019 doesn't have the charge pad on the back console and even if it did, this phone wouldn't fit there anyway.
I saw a post where someone was using a cigarette lighter mounted magnetic mount they bought from ebay.
It looked like a viable option for me since my phone has a built in magnet in the rear of the case.
Does anyone have experience with these 12volt mounts? Does the phone stay in place?
The cupholder mount doesn't work for me. I chew tobacco (Oklahoman...what can I say?) so my spitcup and my beverage take up the holder spots.
The vent chargers are useless although the self clamping ones look awesome, they just don't work in our cars.
What do you guys use?
I use this magnetic mount. It works great, holds my phone securely, and frees up both cupholders. I bought it so long ago, I no longer have the link to purchase one, but should be easy to find online.
Attached Images

PnCRedJwl2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 09:53 AM   #51
Crushin_LT1

Drives: 2021 LT1 6spd
I usually have mine in my pocket or on passenger seat.
Old 08-15-2021, 10:46 PM   #52
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Never thought about using a mount in a car. I figured in a bad wreck if the airbags go off it might shatter the screen on my expensive phone. Already bad enough having to replace a car.
CamaroSSStlfan is offline   Reply With Quote