Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 08-03-2021, 12:32 PM   #43
Vaska

Drives: On Hiatus
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamo4211 View Post
I keep reading people complaining, even in the corvette threads, about rev match being turned off when you start your car. I agree and I’ve always wondered why it’s off by default myself. I’ve heard a few different guesses as to the reason you have to turn ARM on every time you start your car. Some say it’s to protect the engine so it doesn’t rev up while it’s cold, but it’s not active unless your going faster than 20mph, and shouldn’t you not be driving it until it reaches operating temperature anyway? My theory is it has to do with GM trying to keep the MPG numbers as high as they can, or it’s an EPA thing. When ARM is on your car uses more gas to blip the throttle. May not be a lot, but in stop and go city traffic it adds up, especially in a big supercharged v8, and for GM to be able to use the fuel economy numbers they get with ARM turned off (which could be slightly higher city miles than when on) they have to have ARM off by default. But I don’t know, I just know I love the auto rev, saving my clutch, synchronizers and drivetrain and sounds awesome af!
I don't understand the notion behind that, you just pull a freaking paddle on the steering wheel, is it that inconvenient for you? Why aren't you complaining that the car isn't self-staring when you walk up to it? Jeez...
Vaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 12:58 PM   #44
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroChriSS View Post
I used it for a while but it made me lazy and I noticed driving another stick shift that I wasn't as smooth as I used to be - I've gone back to not using it just to stay sharp!
That's my thought and why I rarely use it on the street, however...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerFran View Post
It is a cute novelty, kind of like no lift shift.
It's more than a novelty on a track. Helps me focus on linework and other stuff before I get into heel-toe, potentially screw up and upset the balance of the car. I use NLS all the time when going all out as well, though I can also end up doing that on cars that don't have it.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 01:05 PM   #45
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaska View Post
I don't understand the notion behind that, you just pull a freaking paddle on the steering wheel, is it that inconvenient for you?
It's not really about whether it's convenient to have to basically do a little re-configuring of your car every time you get into your car to go somewhere.

It's about having to do that re-configuring in the first place.

Norm
Old 08-03-2021, 01:06 PM   #46
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
That's my thought and why I rarely use it on the street, however...

It's more than a novelty on a track. Helps me focus on linework and other stuff before I get into heel-toe, potentially screw up and upset the balance of the car. I use NLS all the time when going all out as well, though I can also end up doing that on cars that don't have it.

Fair enough, but then why not just buy an automatic and use the paddles

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 01:16 PM   #47
Vaska

Drives: On Hiatus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
It's not really about whether it's convenient to have to basically do a little re-configuring of your car every time you get into your car to go somewhere.

It's about having to do that re-configuring in the first place.

Norm
It’s a pull of a paddle.

Out of all the tech this car has….people still complain. Wow.
Vaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 01:30 PM   #48
UnknownJinX

Quote:
Because I still like driving a stick on the street and that's where I will be spending most of my time?

And while I can appreciate a good auto more on the track, I think I might try to do some heel-toe on my own eventually. It's more satisfying that way.
Quote:
It’s a pull of a paddle.

On some other cars, it does remember the setting you last had. I think the Mustangs are like that nowadays with their rev match.

Like on the track, there is a whole ceremony I have to go through between each session when I restart the car. Gotta put it in Track mode, then double tap the Traction Off to get into PTM, and then tap the paddle shifter to turn on rev match. Not difficult, but could be a bit annoying when I forget or just have to go in a hurry.

Past:
Old 08-03-2021, 02:18 PM   #49
Jsreo

Drives: 2017 2SS Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
That’s not engine braking, that’s your clutch wearing out.
Nonsense………
Jsreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 03:20 PM   #50
Mohawk_1SS

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1SS M6
I'm glad rev match is off by default. Before I bought the car, i saw some reviews which led me to believe the rev match feature was smoother than any human could ever be, so I was pretty disappointed with the reality. It's nice if you don't want to worry about heel toeing, and focus more on other aspects of driving while pushing the car through turns. But for normal driving, it just flat out isn't as smooth as what a human can achieve (and do so consistently). I can definitely see how it would be useful for someone new to stick shift and cut down on what needs attention, but I don't think you are doing yourself a lot of favors by relying on it.

If i were to judge it's smoothness as though it were a human driver, I would say it's "just OK". Certainly not offensive or jarring by any means, but also never buttery smooth.
Mohawk_1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 03:30 PM   #51
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsreo View Post
Nonsense………
Ok then, please explain to me how you would get more engine braking within the context of the original post.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 03:33 PM   #52
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohawk_1SS View Post
I'm glad rev match is off by default. Before I bought the car, i saw some reviews which led me to believe the rev match feature was smoother than any human could ever be, so I was pretty disappointed with the reality. It's nice if you don't want to worry about heel toeing, and focus more on other aspects of driving while pushing the car through turns. But for normal driving, it just flat out isn't as smooth as what a human can achieve (and do so consistently). I can definitely see how it would be useful for someone new to stick shift and cut down on what needs attention, but I don't think you are doing yourself a lot of favors by relying on it.

If i were to judge it's smoothness as though it were a human driver, I would say it's "just OK". Certainly not offensive or jarring by any means, but also never buttery smooth.
It's pretty damn smooth, I've heard a few reports of people that seem to have malfunctions with this system, so maybe you should get it checked out? I think it's brilliant when I'm racing. I'm going hard into a turn and I can downshift so damn fast with it, no loss of speed and everything is ready, no blipping or screwing around with pedals.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 03:42 PM   #53
Silent_H_

Drives: '21 V6 1LE
I've never owned anything but manual cars so I don't mind doing it myself, but I do wish my Camaro had the option! I remember test-driving a 370Z when I was shopping and it was fantastic. Not a deal-breaker but it would be cool.

Enjoy!
Silent_H_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 04:26 PM   #54
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Rev matching blips the throttle to sync the rpm with your next shift. We are still responsible for clutch and gear change so its not at all like an auto with paddles.

Paddle shifting an automatic is what doesn't make sense to me. Performance shift mode was fantastic on my 2SS A8. Let it do the shifts

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 04:41 PM   #55
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
It’s a pull of a paddle.

You're still not quite getting it.

Understand that for me at least, when my car does anything unexpected all on its own, my first thought is going to be along the lines of "WTF just broke?". "What did it just try to help me with or save me from" doesn't even cross my mind until somewhat later. Even if it's as simple a thing as hitting a rev limiter (which I've almost never done). Or, more recently, needlessly conservative TC / stability control intervention in both of the Subarus we've owned.

I'm old (73) with about 57 years of MT driving under my belt. I learned that it was going to be all on me to drive my cars, and to not share that responsibility with anybody else's or anything else's inputs (once I got out of the dual-control driver's ed cars anyway). Hell, I don't even get into ABS unless I'm intentionally trying to do so.

Norm
Old 08-03-2021, 06:11 PM   #56
UnknownJinX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohawk_1SS View Post

Mine has been super smooth. If it's not smooth, that would actually be pretty dangerous to use at a track as you are already close to the edge of your tire grip capability and you don't want to upset the balance of the car to throw it off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
Rev matching blips the throttle to sync the rpm with your next shift. We are still responsible for clutch and gear change so its not at all like an auto with paddles.

Paddle shifting an automatic is what doesn't make sense to me. Performance shift mode was fantastic on my 2SS A8. Let it do the shifts
That's part of it, too.

As for paddle shifters in an auto, well, it really depends on how good the shift logic is. On something like Porsche PDK, it is truly a novelty, but at least from the conversation I had with a ZLE A10 owner at an open track day, the paddle shifters can be useful since he said the logic can be a bit weird, particularly in some corners.

Past: