Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-19-2021, 08:26 PM   #29
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
To each their own. I try to avoid most subscription type services (they really add up).

So my answer is no, it’s not worth it.

My IPhone 6 and $15/ month cell service suits me just fine.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 08:57 PM   #30
Heat Magnet

Drives: 2021 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS
I avoid subscription services since I feel like I already pay for enough stuff on the car (gas, insurance, registration, loan, etc.).
  2. 2021 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS Coupe
    Black, Redline Edition, 1LE Suspension Package, 10L80 transmission, NPP, Body color high wing spoiler, Ground effects kit, 48-state legal Brembo brakes
Heat Magnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 08:58 PM   #31
JSH

Drives: '20 ZLE
It's been inactive in my car for one year.
1.35/9.25/151 at 3500 ft. (only one pass)
15" conversion/MT ET Street R 325/50R15.
JSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 10:03 PM   #32
ModernCamaroZ28Fan
LT1_Radenso

Drives: a 2 spd water bottle
Doesn't' OnStar spy on people?

ModernCamaroZ28Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 11:06 PM   #33
digitalfutur

Drives: 2018 Camaro RS 3.6 A8
I have the Remote Access plan (CAD 150/yr) for my Camaro and my '16 Malibu. I like getting the monthly diagnostic reports. including tire air pressure.

I also get emailed if tire pressure is low or if a fault is detected by the various onboard modules. Back in February, for the Malibu I got emailed with "The engine and transmission are not performing as expected. An issue has been detected in the air induction system which monitors and controls air intake to the engine". Of course this meant that the SES light came on as soon as I started the engine. Dealer replaced the Air Intake Pressure Sensor as it was found to be contaminated.

I do agree that the more expensive OnStar plans are not a good value, but the 2 plans I have are.
digitalfutur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 01:25 AM   #34
genxer

Drives: multiple cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
Firstly, your smartphone already does all of that.

Secondly, the only two types of people who want this type of data I can think of are very organized criminals who somehow just really want you specifically, and cops. If you drive alone at night in the middle of nowhere in a routine way then yes, I can see criminals taking advantage of that, but that seems like a long shot in general and also rely on absolutely no other car that can pass by at any moment to pull off. The cops could better pin down where you like to do runs, but chances are, competent local police already know all the popular spots and catch plenty of people already. Those are some pretty narrow audience for a whole network of tracking devices, BTW.

I am assuming none of us normally have a sniper pointed at us at all times. I think it's a reasonable assumption to make on a Camaro forum.

If you want to talk about things like email address, phone number and address then yes, telemarketers love them, which is why I have reservations on signing up on websites, but driving habits? Not to mention, driving habits and routes require much more analysis to be useful than plugging phone numbers into automated call bots.
Cops around here have been better about ticketing in recent years, with some crackdown weekends. Yeah, I hate that they can run plates so easily. Also, in general, that there's so much recording of the public is so, so, distasteful.

What I had more in mind was my go to travel routes getting clogged up by navigated traffic, and slowed by new lights for chain hoagie and coffee shops. Aided by data. No, my cellular isn't doing what you suggest.

From your posts, you've got good taste in vehicles. This just isn't an area I have any liking for.
genxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 02:00 AM   #35
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalfutur View Post
I have the Remote Access plan (CAD 150/yr) for my Camaro and my '16 Malibu. I like getting the monthly diagnostic reports. including tire air pressure.

I also get emailed if tire pressure is low or if a fault is detected by the various onboard modules. Back in February, for the Malibu I got emailed with "The engine and transmission are not performing as expected. An issue has been detected in the air induction system which monitors and controls air intake to the engine". Of course this meant that the SES light came on as soon as I started the engine. Dealer replaced the Air Intake Pressure Sensor as it was found to be contaminated.

I do agree that the more expensive OnStar plans are not a good value, but the 2 plans I have are.
I get the monthly diagnostics with just the Safety and Security Plan myself, including the low tire air pressure stuff.

I think it is free for all the newer GM cars. Not sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by genxer View Post
Cops around here have been better about ticketing in recent years, with some crackdown weekends. Yeah, I hate that they can run plates so easily. Also, in general, that there's so much recording of the public is so, so, distasteful.

What I had more in mind was my go to travel routes getting clogged up by navigated traffic, and slowed by new lights for chain hoagie and coffee shops. Aided by data. No, my cellular isn't doing what you suggest.

From your posts, you've got good taste in vehicles. This just isn't an area I have any liking for.
Radar detectors help, but even they have their limits. Don't ask me how I know.

And yep, targeted marketing/advertising definitely utilizes the location data, but that requires data from more than one person. They would have to collect from cars other than GM cars as well for the data to be of any use. They probably need it from tens of thousands of cars for the data to mean anything.

Google Maps also know exactly where I have been to just from sitting in my pocket, so I think the tracking from my phone is probably already enough for targeted advertising. I am guessing you don't have your location service on much?

And thanks, I can also see where the oppositions are coming from. The price can be a bit hard to swallow for sure. As I said, I personally didn't even like OnStar much myself initially but that flat tire incident did show the value of the service, and my interactions with OnStar have been pleasant so far. YMMV, of course.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 09:06 AM   #36
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteMale View Post
The only part I found remotely useful was the wifi hotspot the rest wasn't useful and as others noted I found it's reputation for privacy and being intrusive a showstopper. being able to pop doors open was something I thought pretty useful, too, through the mychevy app. But I def didn't re-up after the trial.
If your car gets better WiFi service than your phone does, just change your phone to AT&T for service as that's the tower network that the cars use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe5163 View Post
First off you should of gotten a 3 month trial, that's what I got for all my GM cars, maybe dealer specific.
One month is all you get now.

Quote:
I get the monthly diagnostics with just the Safety and Security Plan myself, including the low tire air pressure stuff.
I got all of that for my truck for five full years, never spent a dime on On-Star. I get it for the Camaro as well (one full year so far) and have never paid for On-Star.

The only reason I even activated the trial was because I was expecting the offer of five full years of using the app for door lock/unlock would be available like it was with my truck, but GM has pulled this now and you have to pay. Remote Start was useful in my truck, but not even an option on the Camaro because it's a M6.

For me, it's completely worthless.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 11:28 AM   #37
Paintslinger16
Two Lane Blacktop

Drives: '18 Camaro 2SS
I get it, negotiated 25 bucks for six summer months of use, little added protection, with a staggered setup and no spare I figure it’s worth it it just for that. But after my son got car jacked last year in a Honda CRV and the amount of trouble that was, I want to be able to track and shut down the Camaro.
That Honda was used in 4 reported thefts, and chased twice in just 48 hours, found abandoned and trashed on the third day.
Paintslinger16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 11:34 AM   #38
BluinSC

Drives: BVM 1SS
They helped me out in my accident. They called police and fire for me.
BluinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 02:23 PM   #39
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
If your car gets better WiFi service than your phone does, just change your phone to AT&T for service as that's the tower network that the cars use.

One month is all you get now.

I got all of that for my truck for five full years, never spent a dime on On-Star. I get it for the Camaro as well (one full year so far) and have never paid for On-Star.

The only reason I even activated the trial was because I was expecting the offer of five full years of using the app for door lock/unlock would be available like it was with my truck, but GM has pulled this now and you have to pay. Remote Start was useful in my truck, but not even an option on the Camaro because it's a M6.

For me, it's completely worthless.
I don't usually have people ride with me so the mobile hotspot is worthless for me. Even if my friends happen to run out of data, my phone has enough mobile data to share with them if they just want to look up something quickly.

I believe you get 3 months of trial if you give them your credit car number, which you may or may not want to do. If you do, make sure to cancel ahead if you don't want to keep using it. Otherwise, they will keep charging it, like Sirius XM.

The remote controls are also kinda slow. I tried it once when I needed to get something from the car but forgot the key. It was a bit faster than going upstairs and grabbing the key, but not by much for that to be a paid feature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintslinger16 View Post
I get it, negotiated 25 bucks for six summer months of use, little added protection, with a staggered setup and no spare I figure it’s worth it it just for that. But after my son got car jacked last year in a Honda CRV and the amount of trouble that was, I want to be able to track and shut down the Camaro.
That Honda was used in 4 reported thefts, and chased twice in just 48 hours, found abandoned and trashed on the third day.
Honda's are pretty notorious for being easy to steal.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 02:38 PM   #40
Jaxcam02

Drives: 2017 Silverado/2017 ZL1
hell no, its a rip off. The only thing I would have paid for is the remote key access if I accidentally locked my keys in the car but it was an absurd amount in my opinion to keep that past the trial.
Old 05-20-2021, 02:44 PM   #41
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
I don't usually have people ride with me so the mobile hotspot is worthless for me. Even if my friends happen to run out of data, my phone has enough mobile data to share with them if they just want to look up something quickly.

I believe you get 3 months of trial if you give them your credit car number, which you may or may not want to do. If you do, make sure to cancel ahead if you don't want to keep using it. Otherwise, they will keep charging it, like Sirius XM.

The remote controls are also kinda slow. I tried it once when I needed to get something from the car but forgot the key. It was a bit faster than going upstairs and grabbing the key, but not by much for that to be a paid feature.
Yes, they will give you an extra two months if you give them your CC number. Nope. Not gonna happen.

And you're right, it is a bit on the slow side. Considering you have to send from your phone, through the mobile network, into their system, transmit to the moon, and wait for it shower back down to Earth and hit your car, it's actually really fast.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 06:07 PM   #42
ddivinia

Drives: 19 ZR1 20 350R Wife -> 24 ZL1 Vert
Not worth it for the price. If they would cover multiple cars for that price - I would be in on it.

D.
ddivinia is offline   Reply With Quote