#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 04-23-2021, 10:56 AM   #15
Camaro1973

Drives: 2019 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
As in my sig, I'm trying FII blanket and spacers. We'll see.
This has nothing to do with oil temps. The mod your doing is to simply lift the SC away from the engine/heads so it doesn’t absorb heat as much to lower MAT temps.

We are talking road course and oil temps.

LME 377 LT4 Short Block | Magnuson 2650 80mm upper w/13% lower (9.06) | DSX Lid & Valve Covers | CSP Custom Cam w/32% fuel lobe | CID Heads | NW 103mm TB | Roto Fab Big Gulp | CSP 2" Headers w/Green GESI Gen 2 Cats | Borla 3" Full Cat Back w/ S-Type| Mighty Mouse Wild Catch Can| Custom Holley Low side Fuel system| TooHigh PSI Port Injection w/Holley Controller | Forced Inductions Interchiller w/2 gallon fender tank | TK Performance built 10L90
Camaro1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 12:43 PM   #16
CW3SF

Drives: 2019 Chevy Camaro ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostZ View Post
This info is basically a recap of what I posted on the ZLE track thread also on this section of the forum. The ZL1 overall is well suited from the factory to keep the car fairly cool even under heavy extended track use. The only real thing to watch out for in your case with the ADM res is oil temps, on a stock car they can already be a bit warm at 250-275F. With the plans to add power even without spinning the blower any harder more heat in the oil will be created with those extra ponies. Since you aren't touching the blower pullies the heat enhancers out front should be able to handle the intake heat you are creating, if anything a little less as porting and headers frees up some restrictions in the motor. On the other hand oil temps will increase as a result of the new found power. Sadly this also means coolant will follow as the cars "oil cooler" is in reality more suited to warm the oil to operating temps faster. This is done by a liquid to liquid cooler mounted on the oil pan that uses coolant, this does little to cool the oil once hot. Instead it drags coolant temps up when the oil begins to get out of hand. If the extra power causes the oil to hit over 300 the car will pull power to save the motor. You maybe ok as power through efficiency is definitely the best way to avoid any problems but it still may cause the oil temps to increase. A forum member detailed the solution to this problem with the C&R oil cooler which replaces the aux supercharger heat exchanger. With an upgraded main hx it causes no appreciable gains in intake temps while drastically decreasing oil temps to a much more manageable 230F and this is all on a 2650 equipped car. With oil temps managed the coolant temps with the OEM dual radiator setup are easily able to handle itself as the setup is very robust. You could also consider the SS brake deflectors to add a bit more air going to the brakes. I would just keep an eye on oil temps once you take it to the track and see what you need once the time comes.
I am very intrigued with this set up. To install the C&R exchanger and oil cooler, do you know if the front end has to be taken off the car? Or is there room to get in there and replace without removing it?
CW3SF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 01:53 PM   #17
FrostZ

Drives: 2019 A10 ZL1
You definitely need to remove the front end to get both installed. It's more tedious than anything with the amount of screws and bolts holding it on. For the oil cooler I recommend removing the front end and the driver side wheel liner. My installation of the C&R oil cooler used a Mishimoto oil filter sandwich plate with a 200F thermostat to prevent over cooling of the oil as it warms up to operating temp. The lines used where -10AN PTFE with three straight fittings and one 45 degree coming off the cooler. I decided not to upgrade the main hx as a 2650 is in my future, and the real limiting factor in the supercharger loop is the blowers bricks size not the ones out front. Following the oil cooler install I saw drastic temp decreases as oil never passed 230F and coolant stayed rock solid never passing 205F. There was very little increase on the intake air temps even with the removal aux supercharger heat exchanger, no more than a five degree delta. These measurements where all taken on a 68F day on a 21 minute track session. Credit to travislambert for detailing the original solution on this forum. I used a lot of his information to complete my own install with some of my own changes. You can read up on the original thread below.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...ghlight=travis
Old 04-23-2021, 02:41 PM   #18
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
I see that the C&R cooler install uses a filter sandwich plate, I never liked using these due to how it makes the filter closer to the ground.

Can you tell me how much filter to ground clearance we lose with this? Flying over curbs and, sometimes, off track into potentially very uneven dirt, my biggest fear is filter impact resulting in a massive oil leak and severe motor damage.
SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 03:00 PM   #19
AZIROC

Drives: '86 IROC-Z '18 ZL1
Tag for interest in the blanket.
AZIROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 03:21 PM   #20
FrostZ

Drives: 2019 A10 ZL1
In OEM form the filter is well above the bottom of the oil pan, its a good few inches above the bottom edge. Even with the sandwich plate in place the filter is still above the lower edge of the pan. So with the plate in place you will have to hit something so hard and low it would take out the oil pan. On the extremely low change of that happening it will occur long before you ever touch the filter!