Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 03-12-2021, 01:44 PM   #15
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
Yep, yep! Tire pressure, traction control settings, launch tips, shift RPMs. Lay it on me people. Always easier to imitate successful folks then waste a day figuring it out on your own. But sometimes that can be fun and rewarding also.
Old 03-12-2021, 02:11 PM   #16
joelster

Drives: '94 Z28+ '15 Z/28
You're going to be a lot faster when you go "all in" and invest in some proper autocross tires. There are a few players in the 19" wheel market but several more if you can get a set of 18" wheels. A good autocross tire gets up to temp real fast and typically needs to be sprayed down on warmer days. My tire choice this year is the new Falken RT660 in 315/30/19. Previous 2 years I ran Bridgestone RE-71's in 305/30/19. I like going to events with my car prepped 100% that leaves the only variable the nut behind the wheel. I usually run 31-32lbs in the tires. Copying someone else when you're running a different tire might not be the right thing to do. They all behave a little different. I took my rears down to 28 one time on a recommend from another guy and the car was rolling over real bad. Made the car very undriveable for me.
1979 Y84 Trans Am
1986 IROC-Z
joelster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 07:35 PM   #17
Og Neon
Lover of Speed

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coz3z3 View Post
I’ll speak for both of us and say I think we would both love your opinions on the tires pressure. I ran the trofeos and Goodyear’s on my SS. No one has ever really given me advice at the course, just ran what I would read about and figured 32 because that’s what GM advised on the door sticker lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariZona28 View Post
Yep, yep! Tire pressure, traction control settings, launch tips, shift RPMs. Lay it on me people. Always easier to imitate successful folks then waste a day figuring it out on your own. But sometimes that can be fun and rewarding also.
Yeah part of Autocross is figuring out what works for you but like you said it is also easier to start off with a good baseline setup from someone that has been there. Much faster learning curve at times.

Regarding tire pressure, I played around with them from 32-36 depending on the tire, surface, temperature and how things were feeling that day. I recommend starting at the 36 and keep your pressure constant for now while you work on your driving. The goal is to eliminate variables in the beginning so you can work on being consistent. Once your abilities get consistent, then start to tweak.

Next I would get an alignment and get your front camber dialed in. I forget what the front maxes out at but max it for now and then get camber plates with the goal of getting near -3. If you need a good alignment guy that knows how to align the Z28 let me know. I got lucky and had a dealership sponsoring me (Sands Chevrolet in Waddell), and I let one guy (Mikey) do my alignments because he was good and understood what i needed. Mikey worked on both my Z/28 and my ZL1 1LE and helped me prep for various events.

As for tires...the Trofeos are garbage for a autocross tire because they will never get hot enough. Maybe mid summer at a 110 degree event they might come up to temp, but they are not made for autocross and need time to heat up. The Goodyears are good, and the Michelin PS4S are a decent second tier long lasting tire that can do track and autocross ok. For real performance, go with the Rivals, RE71s or Falken 660s.

Traction control settings, at first when learning the car I ran in Mode 5 Race for a few events (came from the AWD world), then transitioned to all off for my best times. The Z28 is really really stable and very linear with how it builds power. Launch off the line (nothing big, just enough to get going quick) then shift into 2nd and leave it there. 2nd has more than enough range to handle an autocross course. No need to max out first waiting to shift into 2nd. Just keep first long enough until you find a good place to shift as soon as possible.

Lastly, look for Brian Peters. He drives a Blue 6th gen SS 1LE and tell him James Hodges sent you. That man is a master behind the wheel and can really help get you up to speed quickly.

The Z/28 is such an awesome car to autocross. I had a blast campaigning in it and i regret selling it to this day. You may see it around because I sold it to a great friend who lives in Scotsdale. I would have kept it over my ZLE but the ZLE is better suited for the track days I am doing now and especially for the bigger events where I need more power and aero. I will get another Z28 though.

Let me know if this helps or if you have more questions. Happy Hunting!

2021 One Lap of America Track Videos
2019 One Lap of America Track Videos
2017 One Lap of America Track Videos

2022 Ram TRX
2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE
2020 Range Rover Sport SVR (Sold)
2014 Grand Cherokee SRT (Sold)
2014 Camaro Z/28 (Sold)
Og Neon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 08:19 PM   #18
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Thanks for the info! Since this car is more of a stock, original garage queen type of car (I'm tinkering with a C5 Z06 for road course work) I probably won't change tires or alignment any time soon. I'll definitely play with tire pressure and I did notice that getting into 2ND quickly allowed me to concentrate on steering and setting the car up for the next cones. I have no problem looking a few cones forward as I've been riding along with a good friend of mine that's been doing this for a while albeit in his V8 Miata. You mentioned "once your abilities get consistent, then start to tweak" is extremely good advice. All the great set-ups, high HP and fantastic Z/28 looks won't overcome poor driving technique and inexperience. I'll look for the blue Camaro, I may have seen him there before. Good times!
Old 03-15-2021, 12:48 PM   #19
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Ran again this past Sunday. Plenty 'O fun! Found out that the Michelins don't like higher press (37 hot) and being driven by a novice w/ traction control set in 5. Spin city and even went for a twirl half way through the course. Can't understand why someone placed cones in perfect location for my "Starsky and Hutch" tribute but go figure. Even picked up some race patina from the orange victims. After dropping the press down to 34 hot and adjusting the t/c to a more appropriate 4 I clicked of some consistent 54 sec times. Still a lot to figure out (obviously) but I'll continue to have fun learning. OgNeon, I didn't see Brian but I heard he now campaigns a Tesla. WTF?
Attached Images

Old 03-15-2021, 10:30 PM   #20
Og Neon
Lover of Speed

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariZona28 View Post
Ran again this past Sunday. Plenty 'O fun! Found out that the Michelins don't like higher press (37 hot) and being driven by a novice w/ traction control set in 5. Spin city and even went for a twirl half way through the course. Can't understand why someone placed cones in perfect location for my "Starsky and Hutch" tribute but go figure. Even picked up some race patina from the orange victims. After dropping the press down to 34 hot and adjusting the t/c to a more appropriate 4 I clicked of some consistent 54 sec times. Still a lot to figure out (obviously) but I'll continue to have fun learning. OgNeon, I didn't see Brian but I heard he now campaigns a Tesla. WTF?
Hell yeah! Always love the sideways shuffle! Using mode 4 and 34 psi is a good place to now work from. Keep the pressure at 34 and as you get more comfortable, click up to 5 and see how you do. Once you get consistent again there and a feel for the car then it is time for all off. When I am on my PS4S I tend to hover around 34 to start and tweak from there based on how things feels. Glad you are enjoying it though. I still follow the local SCCA page and I thought I saw your car in the back in one of the photos on FB. Another good Camaro driver are the Wongs (black 6th gen with green lettering). They can help with some of the basics but they run a 6th gen with a serious grip setup and may be too far along to remember the early days...lol.

And I can see Brian going to a Tesla. He has won nationals more times then anyone and never seems to repeat the same car. Teslas are the new hot ticket car and he has one as a daily, so it makes sense he would go that way. I think his tesla is also blue though too...lol.

Keep the events coming and we will get you dialed in well!
James

2021 One Lap of America Track Videos
2019 One Lap of America Track Videos
2017 One Lap of America Track Videos

2022 Ram TRX
2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE
2020 Range Rover Sport SVR (Sold)
2014 Grand Cherokee SRT (Sold)
2014 Camaro Z/28 (Sold)
Og Neon is offline   Reply With Quote