Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-05-2021, 11:04 AM   #1
Sebambam

Drives: 2010 2SS
010" 2SS Newbie

Hey Team

i am a newbie here and to the newer gen camaros.
I got this car in a trade for a C5 i honestly mainly took it because my son is a huge BUMBLEBEE fan and i needed a daily car that i can put the Kiddo in if needed ( C5 = no go)

Its a 010 L99 it isnt the cleanest ne out there but in decent shape i would say.
i had to do some maintenance on it and of course some cosmetics.
I got new tires all arround ( i like Federals) i installed BMR springs 1.25"
Fixed a bent exhaust end pipe (SLP loud mouth catback)
replaced all 4 O2 sensors.
I wrapped the hood in Matt Black ( left over wrap) fixed and painted the OEM Wheels, Installed a ZL1 style front lip and rear spoiler w/wicker.

I also fixed the seat tracks, replaced broken seat switches and side plastic covers. as weel as fixed the pass. side seat "cushion" upholstery since it came off.

All of it fairly cheap jobs.

i think i have to charge the AC system i have to check .. but all in all a good daily with potential.

i have a light "wiggle" in the steering wheel, so i want to check the Rotors?pads as well as front suspension and might replace it with a new stock Kit.

i thought about headers and i am very aware of the Hp potential incl. a tune
but since its a daily im not to concerned of Power. Functionality is key.

Btw. does a "Street tune" ( no Dyno) makes any sense for a stocker L99 setup. Is there Power on the line? i might consider that.
Attached Images

Sebambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 11:43 AM   #2
RupertPupkin

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS 1Le
Always like the murdered out look.
730whp: 630Trq
RupertPupkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 12:22 PM   #3
SSkat

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Would highly recommend a street tune even with a stock l99. Obviously you will pick up more with headers but it really transforms the car down low.
SSkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 06:39 PM   #4
wasthatacop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSkat View Post
Would highly recommend a street tune even with a stock l99. Obviously you will pick up more with headers but it really transforms the car down low.
Agreed, and you can tune out the AFM.
ZL1 factory rims
misc: drilled and slotted rotors, fresh air brake cooling system, new speakers, installed reverse camera, muffler delete
wasthatacop? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 06:45 PM   #5
mikeman
Banned

Drives: 2015 Camaro
Wow! You did a great job with the mods. Very aggressive, but not overdone. I likey!
mikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 07:37 PM   #6
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Very nice. I'd continue with taking care of the safety and drivabiity issues first. (Me, cause I'm anal) I'd change plugs, filters, fluids, brakes, etc before tuning it.
And yes, even in stock configuration, a tune will always be worth it. Tuning out afm, adjusting shift points, etc...will definitely wake thing up.

Enjoy!
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 08:17 PM   #7
Sebambam

thanks guys..
Yes black is just timeless and always works.

Yes i am in contact with a few tuners in the DFW area already and i will get a street tune.
Also to take care of the 0171/0174 "lean bank codes" i replaced MAF and O2 sensors already, but i still get the codes sometimes.
Tuners here offer a "re-tune" discount if i come back later with bolt-ons.

i really think Headers are a great upgrade BUT again.. this is a driver right now.

Yes i am looking into brakes and suspension parts next , they are not crazy bad but i can feel that this parts are next in line so i will take care of it.

What can i expect of a Street Tune on a Stock L99?
is a CAI really a good upgrade , i am very honest i always thought CAI s are very overrated i rather spend the $ on Headers lol
Old 03-05-2021, 08:19 PM   #8
Sebambam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenging Orange View Post
Very nice. I'd continue with taking care of the safety and drivabiity issues first. (Me, cause I'm anal) I'd change plugs, filters, fluids, brakes, etc before tuning it.
And yes, even in stock configuration, a tune will always be worth it. Tuning out afm, adjusting shift points, etc...will definitely wake thing up.

Enjoy!
Plugs Wires filters and Oilchange was done already
Old 03-05-2021, 08:41 PM   #9
Sebambam

PS:
IS there a Factory upgrade for a front suspension kit?
NON aftermarket i thought of if a ZL1 front suspension is different than the SS?
Old 03-05-2021, 10:01 PM   #10
mikeman
Banned

Drives: 2015 Camaro
Just upgrade the front/rear sway bars. It'll handle like a slot car. The only thing you will need are the rear LCA's from '12 up so you can use the FE4 style outboard mounted rear sway bar. Trust me, you will love it. After that, you can do the radius arm bushings, toe rods and the shocks if they're worn out.

With the sway bars, I'd go aftermarket with a fully adjustable rear bar. I'm running Hotchkis bars with the rear bar set to full stiff. The car handles like it's on rails. I'm very happy.
mikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 01:19 PM   #11
Sebambam

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeman View Post
Just upgrade the front/rear sway bars. It'll handle like a slot car. The only thing you will need are the rear LCA's from '12 up so you can use the FE4 style outboard mounted rear sway bar. Trust me, you will love it. After that, you can do the radius arm bushings, toe rods and the shocks if they're worn out.

With the sway bars, I'd go aftermarket with a fully adjustable rear bar. I'm running Hotchkis bars with the rear bar set to full stiff. The car handles like it's on rails. I'm very happy.
thanks.. i start with new Rotors and pads lol
Old 03-12-2021, 05:52 PM   #12
Sebambam

Rotors and pads are done..
i also added a additional GROUND ( head to Frame) since i had the Starter/heat soack/stabilitek /rpm gauge issue.
I will also check the battery in the a.m again to see if there is any loss.

further i had to bite the bullet and order a new AC compressor./gaskets /flush etc
Clutch is free , i tried to jump the AC- pressure switch to turn it on but no luck.
so i cant add refrigerant at all, ( it reads arround 20 , so its low)

so i guess i do a AC replacement .

PS i will watch the heat soak issue(if its really heat soack and not the bat.) and possibly add a Heat blanket or replace the starter if needed.