Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 02-09-2021, 09:17 PM   #15
Ademarco

Drives: 18 Ford Raptor, 21 2SS 1LE M6
So no domestic cat? I see a GM cat and foreign. Electric cars are probably going to be worth a pretty penny. Imagine coming outside and your lithium battery pack is missing and someone turned it into a solar storage power wall on the cheap.
Ademarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 09:27 PM   #16
ex-SS-ve

I know i never want to see or experience one of these thefts. But if it does happen ill use it as a opportunity to upgrade to non catted 2” primary kooks longtubes.
ex-SS-ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 07:50 AM   #17
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zr8000 View Post
Yeah they have been stealing cats all over around me. When they get confronted by someone they will usually pull a gun. Car thefts are also way up. It went wild just after the Minneapolis riots
People who try that around here are pretty likely to end up DRT. Plenty of folks carry concealed, or sometimes open carry.
Wyzz Kydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 09:14 AM   #18
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ademarco View Post
So no domestic cat? I see a GM cat and foreign. Electric cars are probably going to be worth a pretty penny. Imagine coming outside and your lithium battery pack is missing and someone turned it into a solar storage power wall on the cheap.
There's a "regular domestic cat" in the list, too, pays 1/3rd of the price of the GM cat.

I don't think stealing those insanely heavy battery packs would be a likely thing, it'd take some serious equipment to lift them. Just read an article about a Prius dropping on the thief and killing him, and that was just the cat the guy tried to saw off.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 11:52 AM   #19
willzilla
D3RPZILLA

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 a10
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
There's a "regular domestic cat" in the list, too, pays 1/3rd of the price of the GM cat.

I don't think stealing those insanely heavy battery packs would be a likely thing, it'd take some serious equipment to lift them. Just read an article about a Prius dropping on the thief and killing him, and that was just the cat the guy tried to saw off.
People probably will also begin stealing the motors, lol. I believe the long range ones have a lot of neodymium and such.
willzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 11:54 AM   #20
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowblind View Post
You mean to tell me somebody actually reads that garbage paper ?
Guilty, am I the last one?
Old 02-10-2021, 11:59 AM   #21
Bruiser SS

Drives: 2023 Chevy Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxcam02 View Post
How is this still happening, In Florida you can't salvage Catalytic Converters unless you can verify you have legal ownership of them. The salvage yards here make you show them a receipt of aftermarket exhausts or a replacement cat, on top of logging your information into a database.
Easy.. because the scrap yards falsify the records or accept forged ownership paperwork.
Bruiser SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 12:03 PM   #22
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverDie View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._United_States

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_New_York_Times

Yeah, just a few people here and there. Possibly no one you know, though.
Sorry wrong. I know Mr. Blind at least a little with much respect In the 1/4 and his mad skills. And I know he is smart, an independent thinker, and one of the good guys. Whatever else he might be does not matter.

And I think I only ever beat him once in the 1/4 when he blew his tires off at the line. And I have the video. So he better keep quiet.
Old 02-10-2021, 12:08 PM   #23
Fraxum

The reason I brought this up is my daughters Honda Element was hit the other night. She lives in Denver and for some reason Elements are a target. They are very popular for camping and any drivable one still goes for $10K.
Old 02-10-2021, 12:52 PM   #24
Crushin_LT1

Drives: 2021 LT1 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
The reason I brought this up is my daughters Honda Element was hit the other night. She lives in Denver and for some reason Elements are a target. They are very popular for camping and any drivable one still goes for $10K.

Might be the ride-height?
Old 02-10-2021, 01:31 PM   #25
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
it's a crime of opportunity... higher riding vehicles are common, it doesn't take much to get them high enough to slide under and cutting exhaust pipes is super fast.

Nobody's going around stealing engines out of cars for their metals or other nonsense.

This wont stop until the places purchasing these things crack down on paying people for them who can't prove ownership etc.

same way places should be questioning people coming to them with a bunch of random copper pipes / wiring that looks suspiciously like it was taken out of a construction site, etc. if thieves have no place to sell them ..they wont steal them. It's not like they can DIY strip the metals out easily.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 01:33 PM   #26
Jaxcam02

Drives: 2017 Silverado/2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruiser SS View Post
Easy.. because the scrap yards falsify the records or accept forged ownership paperwork.
I have yet to come across any scrap yards here that won't verify documents or operate with shady intentions. They all do their due diligence and of course they aren't going to catch a few wrong doers but there is a paper trail if the regulators come calling for their business license.
Old 02-10-2021, 01:56 PM   #27
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
even if your state has stricter scrap metal laws, it doesn't take much effort to periodically travel to a neighboring state that doesn't.

FL had a huge metal theft issue up till they passed theirs in 2014. That's not the case in most places that didn't previously have a huge issue with scrap yards.

you must not have done any business with Opa-locka.
https://www.miamiherald.com/news/loc...issing%20metal.

the bad places are out there. As long as the fine is less than the income ...they'll keep popping up to do it. it doesn't take much if you're forced to shut down to sell your business back to what is effectively yourself under a new name if they're still inclined to stay in the business.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 02:33 PM   #28
3.8TransAM

Drives: SS 1LE, 89 TTA, 91 GTA, 91 Formula
Happened at a dealer I used to work at here in NW IN.

Once again comes back to personal responsibility and the offenders just need to be removed from society. Once upon a time if you stole a mans horse you were shot or hung. A car has replaced the horse and if you steal one you get a slap on the wrist. Start back with hangings or shootings for theft/damage and everyone will lead a better life as well as have cheaper insurance in the long run.
3.8TransAM is offline   Reply With Quote