#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-18-2020, 05:06 PM   #43
nferr

Drives: CamaroRS, Cadillac CTS, MGB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
Interesting. Contract says the coverage doesnt begin until the factory issued warranty is finished. My bet is they start all coverage from the 36K/36 month point. So if you buy the 5 year/60K plan that would give you bumper to bumper coverage for a total of 8 years and or 96,000 miles, whichever came first.
T or F?
I think that just means the extended warranty doesn't cover anything until the original factory warranty is finished. Sure sounds like if you bought the five year/60 plan you would be covered for 8/96. Otherwise the 2yr/24 or 3yr/36 would make no sense since those periods are covered under the original warranty.
nferr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 05:24 PM   #44
GA SS

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by nferr View Post
I think that just means the extended warranty doesn't cover anything until the original factory warranty is finished. Sure sounds like if you bought the five year/60 plan you would be covered for 8/96. Otherwise the 2yr/24 or 3yr/36 would make no sense since those periods are covered under the original warranty.
I believe it starts counting from the day you buy it and that is why it is cheaper to get get it when you still have factory warranty.
I got mine on 03/05/2020 just before my 3 year warranty wore out. I only had 3,200 miles on the car. I got the 6 years, 75,000 miles warranty
. It should be good till 03/05/2026 or 78,200 miles which ever comes first.
GA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 04:05 PM   #45
Flytetymex

Drives: 2019 Chevy Camaro ZL1
Hey all,
After months of thinking about it, I decided to pull the trigger on the GMEPP warranty. I was speaking with someone from Knapp and just as I gave him my address, he asked me if there was an out-of-state address that I can use because my home address is in Florida and Florida is a little "squirrely" when it comes to purchasing an out-of-state warranty. He really couldn't explain what the issue was but also mentioned that he has sold many of these warranties in Florida and people have filed claims in Florida and was just giving me a heads up.
In the sample contract under the "Florida" header, it says "The rate charged to You for this Contract is not subject to regulation by the Florida Office of Insurance Regulation." It also states elsewhere in the contract that the "Vehicle Service Contract Obligor/Provider and Administrator is WESCO INSURANCE COMPANY" (as apposed to AMT for all the other states).
That seems like everything SHOULD be fine but then using the tool that Chevy provides under https://www.chevrolet.com/protection...num-protection does not allow me to choose Florida as a provider. Checking out the sample contract from their website shows that "This Vehicle Service Contract is not valid for sale to residents in the state of Florida."

I just wanted to see if anyone had any other info that may be useful to me (especially if someone has purchased this type of warranty in Florida). Don't want to spend a chunk of change to later be shafted by lack of coverage.
Flytetymex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 04:17 PM   #46
Alponcho

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA SS View Post
I believe it starts counting from the day you buy it and that is why it is cheaper to get get it when you still have factory warranty.
I got mine on 03/05/2020 just before my 3 year warranty wore out. I only had 3,200 miles on the car. I got the 6 years, 75,000 miles warranty
. It should be good till 03/05/2026 or 78,200 miles which ever comes first.
Yes, that's exactly how it works. I'm at 14,500 miles and have about a month left on my 3/36k. I just bought a 84month/100k contract, which takes me out to 8/2027 or 115,500 miles.
Alponcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 01:43 PM   #47
Flytetymex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alponcho View Post
Yes, that's exactly how it works. I'm at 14,500 miles and have about a month left on my 3/36k. I just bought a 84month/100k contract, which takes me out to 8/2027 or 115,500 miles.
How much did they charge you since you waited until the end of your warranty (if you don't mind me asking)?
Old 07-23-2020, 02:50 PM   #48
Alponcho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flytetymex View Post
How much did they charge you since you waited until the end of your warranty (if you don't mind me asking)?
The quote I received when I entered my info into the system was $3106 (platinum, 0 deductible). I called, and did a little better. I’m not a very good negotiator apparently, for I paid more than most on here.
Old 07-23-2020, 02:54 PM   #49
JoeCamaro444

Drives: 2018 2SS M6 Hot Wheels Camaro
Just purchased my GMEPP Chevy Protection Plan a month ago.

$1700 for 84 months/56,000 miles
Platinum Protection
Starts from current time and mileage, and no deductible.

I currently only have 4400 miles on my SS, so I saved a few hundred dollars by keeping the length in months at the max(84), but lowering the mileage to 56,000.
1988 IROC-Z (tons of mods), 1995 Z28, 1998 Z28, 2006 GTO, 2010 Camaro 1SS, 2015 Subaru STI, a couple Acuras and multiple Jeeps.
JoeCamaro444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 02:56 PM   #50
JoeCamaro444

Quote:
Hey all,
After months of thinking about it, I decided to pull the trigger on the GMEPP warranty. I was speaking with someone from Knapp and just as I gave him my address, he asked me if there was an out-of-state address that I can use because my home address is in Florida and Florida is a little "squirrely" when it comes to purchasing an out-of-state warranty. He really couldn't explain what the issue was but also mentioned that he has sold many of these warranties in Florida and people have filed claims in Florida and was just giving me a heads up.
In the sample contract under the "Florida" header, it says "The rate charged to You for this Contract is not subject to regulation by the Florida Office of Insurance Regulation." It also states elsewhere in the contract that the "Vehicle Service Contract Obligor/Provider and Administrator is WESCO INSURANCE COMPANY" (as apposed to AMT for all the other states).
That seems like everything SHOULD be fine but then using the tool that Chevy provides under https://www.chevrolet.com/protection...num-protection does not allow me to choose Florida as a provider. Checking out the sample contract from their website shows that "This Vehicle Service Contract is not valid for sale to residents in the state of Florida."

I just wanted to see if anyone had any other info that may be useful to me (especially if someone has purchased this type of warranty in Florida). Don't want to spend a chunk of change to later be shafted by lack of coverage.
I bought mine from Knapp as well.
1988 IROC-Z (tons of mods), 1995 Z28, 1998 Z28, 2006 GTO, 2010 Camaro 1SS, 2015 Subaru STI, a couple Acuras and multiple Jeeps.
Old 07-23-2020, 03:36 PM   #51
nferr

Drives: CamaroRS, Cadillac CTS, MGB
Quote:
I've never before seen warranties work like that. It's weird IMO. Yeah it's cheaper to buy it early when you still have lots of time on your original warranty but all you're doing is buying time that's already covered so the double up period is a waste. So if you buy a five year extended when you purchase the car new you're really only buying two more years. So if you really want to be covered for eight years you have to buy a five year extended in the last month or so of the original warranty. I guess, like you're asking, it all comes down to pricing for optimal coverage.
nferr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 03:47 PM   #52
Flytetymex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alponcho View Post
The quote I received when I entered my info into the system was $3106 (platinum, 0 deductible). I called, and did a little better. I’m not a very good negotiator apparently, for I paid more than most on here.
That doesn't seem bad at all. I have about 18 months left on my warranty and only 5k miles and he quoted me about 2500 for 84/100k. If I drop it to 84/75k (I think it was) then it'll be about 2000. As someone just posted, it's probably more of a value to wait toward the end of the warranty to get even longer coverage than to do it in the beginning or in the middle while the factory warranty Is still intact. Spoke to Knapp again today and was about to pull the trigger and he asked me for an out of state address again because I live in Florida. I'm not sure I feel comfortable with that. I'm not sure what the deal is. He said it's only for registering the purchase and I would never receive anything to that other address and everything is done through a VIN. But still, it's not a risk I think I'm willing to take. I might as well wait until closer to the factory warranty is over to purchase GMEPP
Old 07-23-2020, 03:49 PM   #53
Flytetymex

Quote:
I've never before seen warranties work like that. It's weird IMO. Yeah it's cheaper to buy it early when you still have lots of time on your original warranty but all you're doing is buying time that's already covered so the double up period is a waste. So if you buy a five year extended when you purchase the car new you're really only buying two more years. So if you really want to be covered for eight years you have to buy a five year extended in the last month or so of the original warranty. I guess, like you're asking, it all comes down to pricing for optimal coverage.
Just saw this post before I replied to another member. It is weird and based on what that other member paid, it's well worth it for me to wait until the warranty is almost up. It's not a daily driver and I am not going to be driving the car all that often.
Old 07-23-2020, 03:50 PM   #54
Flytetymex

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCamaro444 View Post
Just purchased my GMEPP Chevy Protection Plan a month ago.

$1700 for 84 months/56,000 miles
Platinum Protection
Starts from current time and mileage, and no deductible.

I currently only have 4400 miles on my SS, so I saved a few hundred dollars by keeping the length in months at the max(84), but lowering the mileage to 56,000.
Do you remember who you spoke to at Knapp?
Old 07-23-2020, 04:56 PM   #55
Alponcho

Quote:
In my case, my 3/36 was just about up, so I'm covered for the next 7yrs or 100k miles. Though, there's still 2 more years on the factory powertrain warranty, and the GMEPP doesn't apply if the car is still covered by the factory warranty, so for the powertrain, my GMEPP deal only really adds 5yrs or 40k miles. Something to remember for folks considering the purchase of a shorter contract at 3 years...at that point, for example, a three year GMEPP will only add 1 year of powertrain coverage.

Also, these warranties are transferrable if you sell, but my reading of the small print is that this is true only if you sell directly to a private party. I plan on keeping my car, so this is not a big deal to me. But this provision is relevant to those who are considering the purchase of a longer contract assuming it will add value to the car when it comes time to trade it in.
Old 07-23-2020, 09:34 PM   #56
JoeCamaro444

Quote:
Do you remember who you spoke to at Knapp?
I spoke to a Kevin VanErt. He was friendly and easy to work with.