Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-14-2020, 02:28 PM   #1
gmhitec

Drives: 77 z28
Help, no AC!

[SIZE="4"]Ok so I by/passed the heater core because of blend door, have not drove the car for a couple of weeks.
Now today NO (&^%$#@$%^) AC!
Compressor and belt are fine turns on and off like it should, but no cooling at all. I thought the compressor would not run if it was low? Clogged orifice vale?
Any ideas? Blower works on all speeds but no cold air on floor, dash vents, or defrost?
gmhitec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 03:17 PM   #2
lemontwist

Drives: 12 2SS/RS L99,11 2SS/RS LS3totaled
if the blend door is broken and laying in the hot position then you won't have ac. i suggest you do the blend door hack fix.the blend door is less than 20 bucks
https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-15-51...2165825&sr=8-1
lemontwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 03:24 PM   #3
gmhitec

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemontwist View Post
if the blend door is broken and laying in the hot position then you won't have ac. i suggest you do the blend door hack fix.the blend door is less than 20 bucks
https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-15-51...2165825&sr=8-1
It will block all AC cool air on both sides?
Oh great, I was hoping to get through the summer before tacking that nasty job.
Old 06-14-2020, 04:52 PM   #4
lemontwist

IMO it's not that hard to fix. i took my dash out to do my heater core.now that was a JOB!
i know it's HOT in fla. good luck with the repair.
Old 06-14-2020, 05:09 PM   #5
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Nah, if bypassed you should be getting cold(er) air, assuming refrigerant levels are correct. With the lines bypassed you are getting no hot coolant through that core at all.

These cars use an expansion valve system, so it is possible yours is clogged or has malfunctioned. They are rather easy to change IF that is your issue. It is located to the left of your brake booster behind the main AC lines/low pressure port in the firewall.

I would first suggest you get a pressure gauge/manifold onto your low/high side ports and check your pressures before you start throwing parts and money at it.

For my car, low side is usually between 30-45 psi and high side between 170-260 (highly dependent on ambient temp and humidity), with AC set to MAX and Recirculate. There are charts you can Google for that will tell you approximately where your high side pressure should be based on temp/humidity.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 07:46 PM   #6
lemontwist

i hate to armchair mechanic. i have had that whole setup apart while my blend door didn't break i replaced it while i was doing my heater-core.no matter what if the door is broke on the hot side it is not going to cool,with the bypass he won't have heat but he will hardly have cool. one way or the other the blend door is going to have to be fixed just bite the bullet and fix it..... i can attest to no A/C SUCKS! i did my condenser this weekend and just driving 20 minutes to my friends to use his a/c machine was not a joyful ride.the ride back as SWEET!
Old 06-14-2020, 08:03 PM   #7
gmhitec

Thx for all the education, I thought with the heater core by/pass I would be ok through the summer. I have access to the equipment to check high and low pressure, will ck that and order the blend door.
Old 06-14-2020, 08:17 PM   #8
Camaro2ss2010

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS M6
As previously stated google T/P (temperature/pressure) chart for r-134a and you will be able to see what your pressures should be based on the ambient temperature.
ECS supercharger, custom ground cam, ported throttle body, long tube headers, aeromotive fuel pump, fic injectors, ATI super damper, Corsa Extreme exhaust, elite engineering catch can and many other things.
Camaro2ss2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 09:58 PM   #9
lemontwist

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmhitec View Post
Thx for all the education, I thought with the heater core by/pass I would be ok through the summer. I have access to the equipment to check high and low pressure, will ck that and order the blend door.
Old 06-14-2020, 10:57 PM   #10
joekono

Drives: Camaro Convertible 2014 1LT
This blend door thing is just terrifying!!!!
joekono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 05:18 AM   #11
Dogmeat

Drives: 2011 RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by joekono
This blend door thing is just terrifying!!!!
Not if you take time to review all the pointers on this site, and check wif youtube, etc...UNLESS you're NOT mechanically inclinded, and don't have tools or a place to do it, then it probby is terrifying....for YOU!!
Old 06-15-2020, 05:00 PM   #12
joekono

Drives: Camaro Convertible 2014 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmeat View Post
Not if you take time to review all the pointers on this site, and check wif youtube, etc...UNLESS you're NOT mechanically inclinded, and don't have tools or a place to do it, then it probby is terrifying....for YOU!!
That's what's so terrifying about it. I AM mechanically inclined!.
joekono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 05:12 PM   #13
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemontwist View Post
i hate to armchair mechanic. i have had that whole setup apart while my blend door didn't break i replaced it while i was doing my heater-core.no matter what if the door is broke on the hot side it is not going to cool,with the bypass he won't have heat but he will hardly have cool. one way or the other the blend door is going to have to be fixed just bite the bullet and fix it..... i can attest to no A/C SUCKS! i did my condenser this weekend and just driving 20 minutes to my friends to use his a/c machine was not a joyful ride.the ride back as SWEET!
He had stated it was working after he had bypassed it. I just figured that it is very unlikely to move into fully closed position, especially with the way these blend doors break. But obviously it's not out of the realm of possibility, and after some of the nightmares we deal with on these cars I have learned not to discount anything lol.

But I agree especially with just biting the bullet and fixing it. It took me around 2 hours total doing the hack n slash method. I used a multi tool and cut nice clean lines and then sealed it with Flex Tape. While I absolutely hated doing that to my car, I can take comfort knowing it will never be seen unless looking for it, and also that I can now change out a blend door in a half hour if it happens again.

But I would still check pressures first just in case.

Edit: Is your low pressure side port/tube getting cold?
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI

Last edited by InFiD3ViL; 06-15-2020 at 05:35 PM.
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote