Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-10-2020, 12:17 AM   #1
Modernmusclecar

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Rubbing noise from rear during slow turns

Hey folks I've recently started hearing a rubbing sound coming from the rear of the car during slow turns. There is no other noise coming from the rear at all. Honestly it sounds like tire rub. I'VE had 391 gears and 305 Nitto drag radials for 3 years now with no issues. I've searched but didn't get really much info. Has anyone had this issue? Thanks.
Modernmusclecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 05:08 AM   #2
mikeman
Banned

Drives: 2015 Camaro
Could be the parking brake cable.
mikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 09:57 AM   #3
RankSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Probably the posi clutches in the diff.
If it bothers you put in some LSD friction modifier
2010 Camaro SS RS, Maggie with 3.4" pulley, 60# injectors, ADM dual fuel pumps, ADM Stage 2 Cam with Brian Tooley springs and pushrods, black CAI intake, Stainless Works long tube headers w/gutted cats, ZL1 Diff w/offset bushings, Pfadt lowering springs, Pfadt sway bars, Pfadt solid sub frame mounts, BMR trailing arms and toe rods, Hurst short throw shifter, Painted on Hugger Orange stripes, Forgestar F14 Piano Black wheels, Nitto NT05 rubber.
RankSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 12:05 PM   #4
Modernmusclecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by RankSS View Post
Probably the posi clutches in the diff.
If it bothers you put in some LSD friction modifier
It does bother me because it's never done it before. I think I wI'll look into that ..thanks
Old 06-10-2020, 04:51 PM   #5
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
I’m getting the same thing. It does sound like the rear end. I recently changed the diff lube and used Redline LSD additive because they didn’t have Amsoil’s brand.
Old 06-10-2020, 09:37 PM   #6
Modernmusclecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post
I’m getting the same thing. It does sound like the rear end. I recently changed the diff lube and used Redline LSD additive because they didn’t have Amsoil’s brand.
Did it help when you changed the fluid?
Old 06-11-2020, 10:52 AM   #7
Moto-Mojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modernmusclecar View Post
Did it help when you changed the fluid?
It was silent until I changed it. : /
Old 06-11-2020, 11:31 AM   #8
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post
It was silent until I changed it. : /
Well damn, that sucks.

I changed my diff fluid 700 miles ago. I used the Amsoil Severe Gear 75w-90 and did not use any friction modifier (Slip Lock). The Amsoil has friction modifier in there already and I have read a bunch of threads from people that claim that the Amsoil doesn't need additional Slip Lock additive in our diffs. I have also read a few threads where people that have added it say it caused issues, but I have no idea. I just figured if it needed some I would pick some up afterwards and add it.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 11:47 AM   #9
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
I used Lucas the last time I changed mine and found out the hard way that " good for LS" doesn't mean friction modifier included. Mine started making noise at few hundred miles, as I got started good on my last road trip. Added modifier when I got back home, and it's helped but still noisy when cold. Haven't put a lot of miles on it since, hopefully it gets better with more miles. If not, I guess new clutches.
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 11:56 AM   #10
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
What has me worried since I changed my fluid is that my car is so damned loud now, between the exhaust and cam, that I don't know if I even would hear anything.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 02:25 PM   #11
RankSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
After changing the fluid and adding the additive it helps to do some figure eights in both directions.
This helps get the clutches lubed up.
Myself I let my ZL1 diff make some noise. Too much friction modifier can cause the clutches to slip all the time, not just when cornering.
2010 Camaro SS RS, Maggie with 3.4" pulley, 60# injectors, ADM dual fuel pumps, ADM Stage 2 Cam with Brian Tooley springs and pushrods, black CAI intake, Stainless Works long tube headers w/gutted cats, ZL1 Diff w/offset bushings, Pfadt lowering springs, Pfadt sway bars, Pfadt solid sub frame mounts, BMR trailing arms and toe rods, Hurst short throw shifter, Painted on Hugger Orange stripes, Forgestar F14 Piano Black wheels, Nitto NT05 rubber.
RankSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 05:01 PM   #12
Moto-Mojo

Yes! We’re onto something. I have used Amsoil in diffs going back to 1992. I too found that (at least then) it didn’t require LSD additive. In fact, I thought maybe Amsoil made that claim once upon a time.

Fast fwd to today. I thought maybe my car level setting was off so I added more Amsoil lube. Still loud when cold. Not so much warm. I like the idea of figure 8’s but...why did it take some time to show up??
Old 06-12-2020, 05:27 AM   #13
Dogmeat

Drives: 2011 RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RankSS View Post
After changing the fluid and adding the additive it helps to do some figure eights in both directions.
This helps get the clutches lubed up.
CORRECT! When I rebuilt my Vette suspension & changed diff. fluid, I put in TWO bottles (they're small) of the specified posi-lube from GM, and did the recommended "figure 8's in forward and reverse" several times....it quieted the diff. right down.....as the trans. place I had go thru the diff. to ensure that everything was ok did NOT put this required additive in...and it was fkn noisy....speshly on turning! I found the largest parking area I could closest to my house, which happened to be a church park. area!!
Old 06-12-2020, 06:20 AM   #14
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Why not use the AC Delco gear oil and additive?
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote