Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-27-2020, 05:02 PM   #43
nferr

Drives: CamaroRS, Cadillac CTS, MGB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
Gotcha. That's dealer selling at rack rate, though.

How often are these slated for replacement? I honestly don't remember the last time I've done suspension of any kind on any of my vehicles (granted, they don't last more than about 75k miles with most being gone by 50k).
Dealer yes, but try going to a dealer and bringing your own. . But even on discount sites they're $350 per. Replacement varies, some seem to go kinda early and some go longer.
nferr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 05:06 PM   #44
L8Apex

Drives: 2016 2SS
I'm extremely impressed with the Borla S-type axle back setup.
Cold start is louder than I like, but that's basically once a day for 30 seconds, the rest of the time it's the perfect tone and loudness for me, you really need to hear one in person.
L8Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 05:09 PM   #45
L8Apex

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abubaca View Post
Brapping your way through the neighborhood is a throttle foot issue, not an exhaust issue. My AWE is much louder than wide open NPP "track" mode when I'm on it, but it's completely civil under 2000 RPMs and while cruising on the highway. I'm 44, have kids, and great neighbors. Not some college kid with straight pipes. Is it louder than stock NPP quiet mode? -Yes, but I think the idea you have in your head about the NPP Loud/Quiet, isn't how it actually is. Loud isn't LOUD, and the quiet isn't silent.

Most of the reviews I've read put the regular suspension quality above the MRC. -unless you're on the track. I can confirm this on the C6 Corvette platform, though I have no comparison on my 6th gen as I've only driven my MRC equipped car.

I mean look, I'm not trying to argue with you. I'm just giving you input as to why you might be able to do without one or the other. I'm not telling you what to do. You obviously want both, so don't settle. Get what you want!
Once you start it, open NPP system are NOT loud idling out of the neighborhood, my Borla is not loud at all at idle, no louder than my single exhaust was at idle.
L8Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 05:19 PM   #46
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
The main consideration is get the SS you want ember and if it doesn’t come with NPP or MRC then you will have to decide which option you can do without or keep looking for one with both options!�� Good luck.
Old 05-27-2020, 06:58 PM   #47
Zapote21
Tampa Bay Camaros

Drives: 2017 Krypton Green 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by caSStro18 View Post
Three letters...AWE. Haha! Each to his own.
This.. A. W. E. That is all lolol

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk
2016 C7 DSOM
2012 2SS yellow vert
2017 2LT Krypton Green
2018 2LT Hot wheels crush
2020 2SS Shock vert.
2017 2SS Krypton Green coupe
Zapote21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 08:37 PM   #48
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapote21 View Post
This.. A. W. E. That is all lolol

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk
According to their web site, the cat back systems don’t fit convertibles. So, axle back only, right?

I would presume Touring Exhaust?
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 08:44 PM   #49
caSStro18

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
According to their web site, the cat back systems don’t fit convertibles. So, axle back only, right?

I would presume Touring Exhaust?
Yes. The convertibles have extra bracing that won’t accommodate the cat backs. I have the Touring Axleback and couldn’t be happier. Cold starts are a little rowdy, but after it idles down in 15-30 seconds it quiets down considerably. However, it retains a nice deep tone that you’d expect from a V8. Borla S-Type is nice as well, but I wanted something a little less expensive. The tone is unique and distinctive to AWE. I got mine from the RDP Store Online. Great price! He matched another website’s price and then discounted it even more when I mentioned being a member of this forum. They also have Borla if you decide to go that route. Great company!
caSStro18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 09:11 PM   #50
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by caSStro18 View Post
Yes. The convertibles have extra bracing that won’t accommodate the cat backs. I have the Touring Axleback and couldn’t be happier. Cold starts are a little rowdy, but after it idles down in 15-30 seconds it quiets down considerably. However, it retains a nice deep tone that you’d expect from a V8. Borla S-Type is nice as well, but I wanted something a little less expensive. The tone is unique and distinctive to AWE. I got mine from the RDP Store Online. Great price! He matched another website’s price and then discounted it even more when I mentioned being a member of this forum. They also have Borla if you decide to go that route. Great company!
Good info. Thanks!

I wish there were more CT members very active in the regional forum and that they had some of these systems on their cars to be able to hear them in person. Online videos are ok, but there isn't a standardized way of recording them for comparison purposes.

My current direction of leaning seems to be that I'm either going to land a car w/ NPP or I won't be buying one at all. The dealers that have the non-NPP cars think they have pure gold or something and would be doing you a favor to sell them to you. The closest dealer has a dozen or so Camaro's sitting on his lot, so I'm hoping he wants to get one sold and will deal!
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 09:36 PM   #51
suckamc

Drives: ford
So there is not an aftermarket NPP type exhaust one can buy and install on a NPP car? I also need it for my neighbors so it's a must have option. It would really open up number of cars I'm interested in if I can get a switchable exhaust after I purchase. So many cars out there without it on the lots. Just double checking one last time.
suckamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 09:47 PM   #52
ssyellow1

Drives: Mustang
Quote:
Originally Posted by suckamc View Post
So there is not an aftermarket NPP type exhaust one can buy and install on a NPP car? I also need it for my neighbors so it's a must have option. It would really open up number of cars I'm interested in if I can get a switchable exhaust after I purchase. So many cars out there without it on the lots. Just double checking one last time.
There's a few.

Borla, Flowmaster, etc.

From my research, Corsa quite literally just released their exhaust for NPP equipment cars.
ssyellow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 10:44 PM   #53
suckamc

Drives: ford
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssyellow1 View Post
There's a few.

Borla, Flowmaster, etc.

From my research, Corsa quite literally just released their exhaust for NPP equipment cars.
They make exhaust kits that you can adjust from inside your car like the stock NPP exhaust? That's what I'm looking for since there are tons of new 2020 Camaro's on the lots without NPP. Especially in the LT1 trim. I'd be more than happy to buy if I can add NPP type exhaust after purchase. Hope I'm wording this correctly ha!
suckamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 11:09 PM   #54
Zr8000

Drives: Chevy Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by suckamc View Post
They make exhaust kits that you can adjust from inside your car like the stock NPP exhaust? That's what I'm looking for since there are tons of new 2020 Camaro's on the lots without NPP. Especially in the LT1 trim. I'd be more than happy to buy if I can add NPP type exhaust after purchase. Hope I'm wording this correctly ha!
Yes. You can get Wired or wireless cut outs. They will run you about 500 bucks. Open the cut out for noise or keep it closed for quite . The npp is basically doing the same thing. Click on the link I posted earlier. They have several options and there are other companies offering the same
Zr8000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 07:36 AM   #55
Abubaca

Drives: 2016 SS
Quote:
No. The AFTERMARKET systems that you can adjust modes from loud to quiet have to be installed on cars that already have the NPP system. So if your car does NOT have NPP, then you cannot install an aftermarket NPP system. -at least officially. Off the record, I do believe the software to control the NPP is in ALL the cars, and you can turn it using HP Tuners, run some wires, and then you CAN use it, even if you don't have it originally installed. I do NOT know this to be fact though.

If you have a car without NPP, you CAN install a set of remotely controlled cutouts, which will give you the option to change modes, but it will NOT run through the car's existing software/touchscreen. It would be a completely independent system. You install the physical pipes and valves under the car, run some wires and install the included switch somewhere in the car accessible to the driver.
Abubaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 08:22 AM   #56
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
NPP is cool guys, but I dont think it is what some of you think it is.

Borla, Corsa, AWE all offer system without valves that are both VERY tame while just driving around, as well as loud when you really get on the gas. A well engineered exhaust effectively achieves what the NPP achieves without valves.

Exhaust technology really has come a long way, and it is no longer a constantly loud sound coming from the tailpipes. They have evolved to systems in which you control how loud the exhaust is by how much gas you give the car.

I just don't want people thinking the NPP is offering them some magical solution when in reality the difference between quiet and loud on the NPP compared to a well engineered system is VERY minimal!!!

Also, if you worry about loud the AWE is not what you want. It is the loudest 'touring' exhaust I have ever heard. While great sounding and one of the best overall, it is NOT mild compared to Borla Touring or Sport for example.

Edit: AWE addresses what they call "valve anxiety" in post 68 of their exhaust thread below. It will explain what I poorly attempted to above.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...ght=AWE&page=5