#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-22-2020, 06:13 PM   #43
SCCAForums

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro, Ford Mustang
Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
Not sure if this is aimed at me or not. I never said the Camaro, ZL1 or GM for that matter didn’t have factory race connections or heritage for that matter. But, they don’t have nearly what Ford/Shelby do with the GT350/GTs etc. Even non race fans know the Shelby name and have no idea what a ZL1 version of a Camaro is for example.

Anybody with a wallet/credit card can do what Hertz did and it really is nothing special. In these crazy high horsepower times, 750 isn’t even that much anymore. Here is the website if you want it in your own car. It just isn’t that special IMO because it is easily replicated on your own if you want to do it and the reasons stated above.

https://www.callawaycars.com/
You're ALMOST right... this is a Callaway SC750 'to start'... (that's $87K) installed by Hendrick Motorsports, with their own unique touches... so wouldn't you think a Callaway SC750 down the road is worth more than a regular ZL1?

Then, add the heritage, as one of only 24 built by Hendrick Motorsports (a very reputable group) for a special Hertz release. And add that 'Hertz Muscle Cars' do have a history, of being somewhat collectible.

I don't think you could get Hendrick Motorsports to build you a Calloway SC750 for $100K... but let us know when you do.

These cars will appreciate... especially if they keep moving with <5K miles on them... which will not only make them the rarest Hertz Special Edition ever created... they will also be the ones with the lowest amount of miles on them.

Best regards,
Dave
Old 05-22-2020, 06:21 PM   #44
minn19

Drives: 22 ZL1, 20 Taco, 20 Cayenne S
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCAForums View Post
You're ALMOST right... this is a Callaway SC750 'to start'... (that's $87K) installed by Hendrick Motorsports, with their own unique touches... so wouldn't you think a Callaway SC750 down the road is worth more than a regular ZL1?

Then, add the heritage, as one of only 24 built by Hendrick Motorsports (a very reputable group) for a special Hertz release. And add that 'Hertz Muscle Cars' do have a history, of being somewhat collectible.

I don't think you could get Hendrick Motorsports to build you a Calloway SC750 for $100K... but let us know when you do.

These cars will appreciate... especially if they keep moving with <5K miles on them... which will not only make them the rarest Hertz Special Edition ever created... they will also be the ones with the lowest amount of miles on them.

Best regards,
Dave
Here is what I’m talking about. Compare the story of this car and others like it (manufacturer almost doesn’t matter) to the Hertz cars.

https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0116-22...et-camaro-zl1/

I didn’t ask for a quote because I have no desire to do it. I’m sure you are correct that it is more than 100k and I 100% agree Hendricks Motorsports is the real deal. So absolutely no offense intended etc towards any of those groups. But, the point is anyone with a ZL1 can do this on their own so 1/24 to me is a bit disingenuous. Of course most would pick a much better color scheme so there is that.

Edit: I do disagree that a Callaway SC750 would necessarily be worth more than a clean stock ZL1. It seems clean classic stock cars bring more money than modded ones. Even extremely reputable ones etc. Generally speaking of course.
minn19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 06:47 PM   #45
SCCAForums

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro, Ford Mustang
Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
Here is what I’m talking about. Compare the story of this car and others like it (manufacturer almost doesn’t matter) to the Hertz cars.

https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0116-22...et-camaro-zl1/

I didn’t ask for a quote because I have no desire to do it. I’m sure you are correct that it is more than 100k and I 100% agree Hendricks Motorsports is the real deal. So absolutely no offense intended etc towards any of those groups. But, the point is anyone with a ZL1 can do this on their own so 1/24 to me is a bit disingenuous. Of course most would pick a much better color scheme so there is that.

Edit: I do disagree that a Callaway SC750 would necessarily be worth more than a clean stock ZL1. It seems clean classic stock cars bring more money than modded ones. Even extremely reputable ones etc. Generally speaking of course.
Yeah, I think you and I are closer aligned... a 'modded car' typically sells for less... but that is typically when you or me do the mods. If you take a 2500 mile Callaway ZL1 (ZR1, Z06 etc..) they typically pull more than a comparable 2500 mile stock one.

And I think the paint scheme looks so much better than the Yellow corvettes!

Lastly... I still believe having Hendrick buy sell and build 24 of these for Hertz... you can't go wrong with these if you could get one. Heck, imagine the nascar fanboi's that will be drooling over it as well.

Best regards,
Dave
Attached Images

Old 05-22-2020, 06:59 PM   #46
JB'sZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 and 2019 Ram Laramie
Hertz just announced they are a few dollars away from filing bankruptcy. Selling their 24 Hendrick's won't keep their head above water, but it may be a good time to negotiate.
JB'sZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 07:03 PM   #47
minn19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCAForums View Post
Yeah, I think you and I are closer aligned... a 'modded car' typically sells for less... but that is typically when you or me do the mods. If you take a 2500 mile Callaway ZL1 (ZR1, Z06 etc..) they typically pull more than a comparable 2500 mile stock one.

And I think the paint scheme looks so much better than the Yellow corvettes!

Lastly... I still believe having Hendrick buy sell and build 24 of these for Hertz... you can't go wrong with these if you could get one. Heck, imagine the nascar fanboi's that will be drooling over it as well.

Best regards,
Dave
I can agree with this (except the color ).

Good quarantine talk, have a good night/Memorial Weekend!
Old 05-22-2020, 07:10 PM   #48
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
2 pages on a rental car? We have got to open up the country again fast.
Old 05-22-2020, 07:25 PM   #49
minn19

Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
2 pages on a rental car? We have got to open up the country again fast.
Old 05-23-2020, 12:35 AM   #50
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB'sZL1 View Post
Hertz just announced they are a few dollars away from filing bankruptcy. Selling their 24 Hendrick's won't keep their head above water, but it may be a good time to negotiate.
It's official. Hertz is bankrupt.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN22Z03W

They're proposing to sell 30k cars per month for the rest of the year to generate cash to pay their bills. Hertz is the first, but won't be the only one. So if you're in the market for a cheap used car... the market is about to be flooded full of them.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 01:04 PM   #51
ZX-10R

Drives: 2019 ZL1 Riverside
Yep I've been looking for a used V6 beater - good time to buy soon
ZX-10R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 11:51 PM   #52
Woodchip

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS /SS IBM M6/2018 ZL1
Just for the info a 2019 ZO6 3lz went for over 90k out the door
Woodchip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 06:01 PM   #53
Craig

Drives: ‘23 SS1LE
There’s a used Hertz lot I drive by pretty often. My beater is at 260k so I’m watching the market too. Asking prices on the basic econoboxes are at the top end of KBB fair value right now so they have a ways to go before it gets interesting.
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 06:27 PM   #54
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchip View Post
Just for the info a 2019 ZO6 3lz went for over 90k out the door
Nice rental.
Old 05-24-2020, 07:14 PM   #55
unavailablezl1

Drives: 2019 Silverado Z71 6.2L A10
Someone could go buy one and then stomp the fat ass GT500

Past Rides
2017 M6 Camaro ZL1 Hyper Blue
2016 M6 GT350 White with blue strips
2014 M6 Mustang GT Premium Track Pack Ruby Red
2012 M6 M3 Melbourne Red Metallic
unavailablezl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 04:06 PM   #56
Callaway Chris

Drives: Callaway Corvette
A few things to correct in this thread:

There were 25 cars built for this program
All were converted by Callaway Cars, then shipped to Hendrick Motorsports for finishing (cosmetics), including the unique carbon fiber (taller) bulge on the hood) except the first one, where Callaway Cars went to HMS and performed the conversion.
They carry the GM Powertrain Warranty, supplemented by the Callaway Powertrain Warranty.
Hertz's financial position does not impact any of the above.
Collectability wise, 2 of the 25 have been sold so far, with more coming soon, I would imagine.

I wish I could have one of these in my garage, as one can look back at past Hertz powerhouse cars, and their other "cosmetic cars" and see they generally are very collectible.
Callaway Chris is offline   Reply With Quote