Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-04-2020, 01:27 PM   #15
Kyler496

Drives: 16' Camaro SS
I haven't had any fade with the ST43 or ST45 and usually flush fluid 4 times per year (Motul 600). I replace my front rotors because of heat checks before they are too thin and the rear rotors will last a year easily.

My car does have the 4 piston Brembos and 1 piece rotors unlike the 1LE. My rotors are much less expensive compared to your 2 piece rotors.
Kyler496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 05:43 PM   #16
carguy55

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
Loving the Hawk 70/60 combo but haven't used them long enough to determine rotor wear. Using them with Ti shims, SS track deflector kit, DBA rotors.
carguy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 06:27 PM   #17
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJA105 View Post
Thinking in the simplest of ways, if the Raybestos stop as well as the Hawks but last longer, doesn't that have to mean they are wearing the rotors faster? It's friction and something is wearing away, but i might need another lesson on friction coefficients and properties of materials.
You're being logical again. Stop it!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 06:30 PM   #18
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanbags View Post
I personally like the characteristics of the Ferodo DS1.11 pad better than the ST-43. I have gone through 2 sets of OEM, 2 sets of ST-43, and 1.5ish sets of DS1.11 so far and the Ferodos have been my favorite by far. Initial bite is very strong, no fade, and rotor wear is reasonable. The ST-43 lasted long but I was able to get them to fade and they were pretty harsh on rotors.

Not a fan of Hawks for anything.
Did ya DD your car with them at all? PS Personally i like Ferodo products the best.
Old 02-05-2020, 11:52 AM   #19
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Quote:
Thinking in the simplest of ways, if the Raybestos stop as well as the Hawks but last longer, doesn't that have to mean they are wearing the rotors faster? It's friction and something is wearing away, but i might need another lesson on friction coefficients and properties of materials.
Good point! But I think without having data (#s) to put to it you can't 100% come to that, right?

We know the mu of the Hawk 60/70 is higher (~0.77/0.85) than the Raybestos ST43 (~0.55). This is according to the compound charts from each manufacturer.

Are the pad thickness about the same?

Wouldn't different compounds transfer slightly at different rates and be dependent upon transfer surface temperature?

Definitely an interesting point.
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 12:57 PM   #20
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
Good point! But I think without having data (#s) to put to it you can't 100% come to that, right?

We know the mu of the Hawk 60/70 is higher (~0.77/0.85) than the Raybestos ST43 (~0.55). This is according to the compound charts from each manufacturer.

Are the pad thickness about the same?

Wouldn't different compounds transfer slightly at different rates and be dependent upon transfer surface temperature?

Definitely an interesting point.
Yeah I haven't looked into it much which is why i said in the simplest of ways haha. So the Hawks should provide more stopping power and be harsher on the rotors per the mu. But maybe the pad compound is softer to create the higher mu? Again idk? I don't run either pad I just know the energy and wear are going somewhere and brake pads are not magic.
TheRealJA105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 03:13 PM   #21
Yanbags

Drives: '17 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Did ya DD your car with them at all? PS Personally i like Ferodo products the best.
I don't DD the car, but have driven plenty on the street with the Ferodos. Very friendly! Even in cold temps there isn't a significant decrease in friction. You do get a lil squeal every now and then but we know that just means racekar
Yanbags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 08:00 PM   #22
LESS1

Drives: Chevy Camaro
Quote:
Yeah I haven't looked into it much which is why i said in the simplest of ways haha. So the Hawks should provide more stopping power and be harsher on the rotors per the mu. But maybe the pad compound is softer to create the higher mu? Again idk? I don't run either pad I just know the energy and wear are going somewhere and brake pads are not magic.
Higher wear rate is due to the increased content of abrasive material/s which creates greater friction.
LESS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 10:30 AM   #23
Jimbeau11

Drives: '18 Black SS 1LE; '01 Corvette Z06
I've run Hawk DTC 70/60 combo for years first on my C5Z and now a full season on the SS 1LE with my wife also driving the car, so double duty. Still running the stock rear rotors after 4 sets of pads with not a sign of heat checking. I did swap out the fronts to DBA which are showing signs of heat checking after 3 sets of pad, but no cracks.

I tried a variety of different pads on the Corvette but kept coming back to the Hawks. The "corrosive" issue is over-hyped and it's a track car so I don't really care anyway.
Jimbeau11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 12:22 AM   #24
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanbags View Post
I don't DD the car, but have driven plenty on the street with the Ferodos. Very friendly! Even in cold temps there isn't a significant decrease in friction. You do get a lil squeal every now and then but we know that just means racekar
So not much noise out of 1.11 on the street? I ran DSUNO on my c5z and cold (as in street) the noise was un-friggin-believable. Wasn't an issue per se as she was a track car and got trailered. By i do drive my 1le to and from now and often long distances, so...