Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 01-12-2020, 08:00 PM   #57
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSS50 View Post
$10M ad campaigns are a thing of the distant past.

1/10th of that would generate $11M in sales.

Not with the real people crap.

Stick to what you know, not what you don't.
And your data and experience to counter GM’s is..........

I really love your passion and hopefulness. It’s just that GM knows so much more than you do based on years of experience, survey data and soooooo much more.

Again I honestly appreciate your opinion..........it’s just not based on the data I know GM has. And I’m sorry that is the truth.

Oh and your 1/10th is funny. Simply google air time for commercials. And then assume you are going to run it more than 3 or 4 times. Annnnnd it will be a simple million to do any basic commercial. All that is just not free.
Old 01-12-2020, 08:49 PM   #58
CamaroSS50

Drives: 2017 Camaro Convertible SS Fifty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post

I really love your passion and hopefulness. It’s just that GM knows so much more than you do based on years of experience, survey data and soooooo much more.

Again I honestly appreciate your opinion..........it’s just not based on the data I know GM has. And I’m sorry that is the truth.

Oh and your 1/10th is funny. Simply google air time for commercials. And then assume you are going to run it more than 3 or 4 times. Annnnnd it will be a simple million to do any basic commercial. All that is just not free.
What year are you in?

We were provided a global budget of $25M to launch a new Lambo product.

Jeez, BMW back in the early 2000's provided a total budget of $5M to launch 1 model, the Mini.

So please find faith in a higher power other than the feckless GM MGMT.

Google media buys, dear goodness, there is not a single media outlet NOT desperate for business.

Additionally, you are focused on broadcast, when the "TV" action is online.

$1M dollars to produce a spot, those days are long gone, long gone, wish they weren't, but those went away back in 2007.

CamaroSS50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 09:03 PM   #59
IOMCamaroSS
#PrimeCamaros

Drives: IOM '10 Camaro SS
Quote:
What works for Dodge doesn’t mean unit works for Chevy. Dodge has nothing to advertise except Challenger and Charger. An ancient Journey, nearly irrelevant Durango and a mini van.

I agree that a Camaro TV commercial could improve sales. But the issue is how many sales and would there be a positive NPV? This is where GM has all the data, analytics, survey data and knowledge. And simply if GM could make a bigger profit with a (or many) commercials we would have already seen them.

It’s just that simple. If GM spends $10,000,000 on a commercial and air time do they sell enough cars to make $11,000,000 more in profit. Otherwise they are just making commercials to make Camaro6 happy.
They don’t need to make Camaro6 happy. They need to get new buyers into their cars. There is literally no promotion of Camaro on any media platform. They sneak it into the fake focus group commercials when they need to clear out the old models at the end of the year and that’s it. It’s like they don’t want this car to succeed. They created “the best Camaro ever” and at this rate, it will be the last Camaro ever.

They advertise Camaro in Europe and the Middle East with semi-decent commercials. Why can’t they use those over here?
Old 01-12-2020, 09:52 PM   #60
BlackbeastSS2

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE Shock Candy
Best commercial to date for Camaro IMO. Well a recap of a lot of them.

https://youtu.be/qcGg1xDVK_M

Pick your fav..... Janet does it for me. Well on second thought the last one 0-100 -0

The Jeff Gordon one is pretty good even if it’s a CV Pepsi commercial.

https://youtu.be/HZBB9jU5Syc
Diamond Piston & Manley Rods, Roto Fab Big Gulp
BTR Push Rods,LS7 Lifters, ARP, FI Chiller, Kirkey Seats
SJM Line Lock, Hurst Pistol Grip. 747/739 RWHP street tune - 821/794 RWHP track tune 101 octane.
2014 Mini Cooper countryman S All4 M6 daily driver

Last edited by BlackbeastSS2; 01-12-2020 at 10:10 PM.
BlackbeastSS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 10:00 PM   #61
Hops

Drives: 2019 1ss 1le, blue wrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.8TransAM View Post
Y
Most of the issues with the Camaro go away if you actually get someones ass into the car and into the drivers seat for a drive. If you never get them there, you already lost the battle period. THEY need to advertise the car..

This was my experience. I really thought a m235i, or m2 was going to be my next car after a bmw 128i, but I was lucky enough to have a ss 1le vs m2 test drives almost back to back, and i chose the correct one , although the m2 was really good! For me, advertising wouldn't have mattered, but reading all the reviews of how "unusable" the car almost led me to dismiss it. The car is usable for a 5'8" me. I take the kids to school, drive to work, get groceries, and have even gone car camping.
Hops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 11:24 AM   #62
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Chief View Post
This commercial only had the Challenger in it. Nothing else in their lineup was mentioned. Super bowl ad slots are not cheap.

If you want to get technical that wasn't a commercial for the Challenger lol. That was a commercial for Dodge the brand that had the Challenger in it for what 15 seconds tops?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 396ssrat View Post
2017 SS was a fine car in all aspects but GM kept it a secret from the customer who was busy buying Camry's and BMW's. In reality the SS was a Goldmine which was overlooked. It didn't have to be so damned pricey.
IIRC the SS was only brought here to fill out production as the holden plant closed or something along those lines. It was never meant to be a big seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChrisLS3 View Post

As far as visibility, I've sold my share of Challengers, and taken enough Mustangs in trade that I can say the visibility difference between the three is negligible at best.
Try to imagine never being in any of those cars, and then how drastic the difference could be to someone on a ten minute test drive
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 11:49 AM   #63
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
Dodge is creating a brand image. Performance. That commercial says live for today. Go for it.

GM, with their reams of data and marketing managers, decided to go for “real people” and despite being laughed at and mocked ...they are sticking with it.

PROOF!!! Dodge gets it!!! Chevy marketers are a bunch of A-holes!

Last edited by MackSteelPrivateEye; 01-13-2020 at 12:08 PM.
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 11:54 AM   #64
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
Quote:
Sorry but NO, you can't "sell anything if marketed correctly". That's just not true. The market will find you out and quickly.

You make it sound like GM could resurrect the Iron Duke 2.5L L4 and put it in the Camaro, slap an SS badge on it and just advertise the Sh%t out of it and it would sell. No, sorry, just no.

BTW, GM is marketing the Camaro. Most of you confuse lack of TV advertising as lack of marketing. I'll say it for the 10 millionth time, advertising is a subset of marketing. The people they designed the car for know exactly what it is. The market they went for, designed the car for is well aware of the Camaro. And it was never designed for a broader audience than that. If they wanted the broader audience they would have had a bigger trunk, bigger back seat and better visibility. They knew what they were doing. They made the best Camaro EVER. It's just a crappy coupe.

But I'll give you another tid bit. The last data I saw, and it's been a while, GM's market share on the coasts is South of 10%. We had data that in California, respondents didn't even know GM made cars. They just thought they made trucks.

GM as a whole has an awareness problem. And most of it is a lonnngggggg and nasty hangover from the 80s and 90s. You have people today who's purchasing decisions are based on the household they grew up in not wanting to buy GM products.

When I worked for a Japanese OEM for a few years back in the early 90s we two benchmarking days. One for product performance and one for cost reduction. GM products were never considered necessary for the performance day. But for cost reduction? How to do it cheap? That was pretty much all GM products.

But back to the Camaro, GM knows what it's doing, has all the data and analytics to back it up and 50 years of experience with the car in the market. And your only counter is that they are stupid?

If GM even remotely thought they could sell enough more Camaros to pay for a commercial they would have already done. Counter to what you think they aren't stupid and if it could even remotely make MORE profit they would have.

They are focused on maximizing profit. Period. When I started at GM we had 42% market share. When I left it was 16% and It think its' now below 15 (yes, it's all my fault lol). At 42% they struggled to consistently make a dime. Today? They are cranking out $10 billion in profit every single year like a printing press. And you think they are stupid? LOL

You can sell a piece of sh!t if it wrapped up right and marketed to the correct audience...its done every day.
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 01:29 PM   #65
SilverHokie

Drives: 86 Camaro IROC LG4, 16 Subaru WRX
Throwing my two cents in here as a potential 6th gen buyer.

I think everyone is partially right.

On the marketing side: As a third gen owner who notices Camaros I rarely see any ads or marketing, at least targeting old dudes who watch a lot of car shows. I turn on shows like Gas Monkey and see the clear tie ins with Dodge for their new motor. I remember years ago one of the shows about a shop placed a modern Charger driveline into a classic Challenger body. Even lots of Ford and Mustand tie-ins. The only Camaro tie seems to be 1st gen rebuilds. Commercials are for MPG or truck tailgates. So yeah I'll totally buy people aren't seeing it.

On the car itself: Totally agree there are problems. The awful 2019 front bumper on the SS until they made the mid-year change. And the high waist line. But Camaro owners have never been about practically. Its always been about screaming with the windows down and roof off "FFFFAAAWWWKKKK YYEAAHHHH". So while I can see some people being turned off, not the killer some people say it is. When I drive my IROC people say things about it. Others here have commented about people saying things to their 5th and 6th gen. People do like the looks.

As some have pointed out it is also tastes: some buyers want the MPG or a 4-door which has smaller doors. When I was on travel and renting a Camaro I was in a tight parking space and couldn't get out without lowering the convertible roof. The colleague there laughed and said that why she wont buy a 2-door car. And of course the midset you must have 4-wheel drive.

I think it also comes down to price: back in the day the Camaro (and all pony cars) were about big (ok "small block") engine in small body to go fast and do it relatively CHEAP. Now the SS models new are very expensive and beyond the price point of a lot of people who would want one, or buy used.

I also agree what others say about marketing a turd and it will sell. Look at jeans with holes, the Kia Soul, Dallas Cowboys, and "Fuller House".

It seems to be more like death by a thousand cuts and not one thing. Just my 2 cents as I wait for another conference call to start.

(Yes, I know my IROC is not a 5th nor a 6th gen. I'm here as I am thinking about a newer convertible and I know from experience most of the Camaro forum members are helpful and understanding.... right?!?)
SilverHokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 05:02 PM   #66
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
I think we are missing something here. Most of the salespeople I have met don't know how to sell a Camaro. Some do of course. Anyone with a car interest knows what a Camaro is and know it is an option. But there is so much you can sell, great handling, performance, gas milage, light weight, Cadillac underpinings, good lines, and so on.

But selling a Traverse is so much easier.

I went to look at a 2020 LT1 and the salesman started telling me how great the V6 was. LOL.

I love the Dodge ads but that alone does not sell many cars. The Charger and Challenger are more imortant to the salespeople as the Dodge choices are slim pickings.

And they are easier to sell basically they are big sedans with big engines. They don't bother talking about handling.

Mustang are just easy to sell as they are the most popular and have the longest manufacturer support. I don't see many Mustang ads.

What I like about Camaros is most in the know just how special they are. And they get sold to some extent despite the GM sales force.

The Challenger is a big fast CAR.
The Mustang is a sporty Car that so many families have owned.
The current Camaro is a sports car. A harder sell than the the other two. Less practical but more fun. And like the Corvette we may be running out of big improvements. Get one while you can.
Old 01-13-2020, 05:44 PM   #67
94turbolsx

Drives: 2001 Camaro SS
Quote:
GM knows they built a car that appeals to Camaro owners. But due to the (light fuse here) mistake of no rear seat, no trunk and poor visibility, GM knows that advertising has limited potential. As awesome as the Gen6 is (and it is) it’s a crappy coupe.
Nail on head. I dont really think GM cares much either. This isn't 2002 when the Camaro is on a single purpose chassis. Last I checked the Camaro alone outsells/outsold its Cadillac platform mates combined. Where is the case for Cadillac and Lansing without a Camaro?

The big winner here is Dodge. The chassis is million years old and once sales settled in the 60K's, its stayed there year after year.
Old 01-13-2020, 05:47 PM   #68

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
I would hope anyone seriously car shopping would at least scan through the maker's web-site....https://www.chevrolet.com/ and not rely on a transient salesman for accurate info on the showroom floor...

In Camaro's defense of no TV ads, I would think anyone shopping a performance car, which is the tab Camaro is under on their web-site, could easily familiarize themselves with the car prior to walking into the showroom floor.

Were their no internet or web-site I would say lack of TV ads would be unforgivable. But...etc., etc....
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 06:56 PM   #69
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by MackSteelPrivateEye View Post
You can sell a piece of sh!t if it wrapped up right and marketed to the correct audience...its done every day.
I’ll grant you that, companies do try. But it’s still manure and the customers very quickly find that out. I know it’s manure and smells bad but gosh the commercial is sooooooo bad a$$ I think I’ll buy some more. I don’t think so.

But the point of this discussion would still be can GM be more profitable if they paid to advertise the manure. They apparently don’t believe so or they would have done it. That is the data you and I don’t have access to.
Old 01-13-2020, 08:45 PM   #70
396ssrat

Drives: 66 Chevelle SS
Quote:

If GM is so smart why are they in 3rd place with Camaro sales? It doesn't have to be like that unless you are saying they are doing it intentionally.
Besides, you don't sell the Steak, you sell the Sizzle. This is what Dodge has been doing with the Challenger.

Last edited by 396ssrat; 01-13-2020 at 08:58 PM.
396ssrat is offline   Reply With Quote