Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

AWE Tuning

Old 12-31-2019, 02:17 PM   #15
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
mrc isnt the holy grail lol ive seen plenty of people go to mcs or jrz or super baller penske setups but its just money even the gm racecars dont use mrc they use a dssv setup off the zl1 1le
Old 12-31-2019, 03:17 PM   #16
Cherry

Drives: 2017 SS 50th
Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
mrc isnt the holy grail lol ive seen plenty of people go to mcs or jrz or super baller penske setups but its just money even the gm racecars dont use mrc they use a dssv setup off the zl1 1le
Not saying MRC is the holy grail, but my car does have it so I would like to not screw it up. Looking over the thread posted in here about the springs you mentioned showed some less that ideal results for cars with MRC and you have to deal with a 1 inch drop which isn't alway the greatest for a car that's gonna spend 98% of the time on the street.
Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 03:52 PM   #17
kropscamaro16

hit up john powell if you want more info on them! they work on mrc or non mrc cars i am even running his prototype shocks also!
Old 12-31-2019, 04:40 PM   #18
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherry View Post
Good to know. How much was the labor cost if you don't mind me asking? I'd rather not drop the whole rear cradle out myself.
Well my labor costs were a little higher than average because of the way I asked the race shop to do it. I asked them to not heat the rear cradle up to get the stock bushings out. I didn't want to take the chance of metal fatigue from the heat. So they sawed the rubber bushings in sections to get them out, which took longer.

Total labor time was 9 hours, but I have heard of some doing it in half the time. I do not regret my decision at all though. I would do it the same way today.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 01:00 PM   #19
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by JROC View Post

What are you talking about? Who is scared of the aftermarket? Don't think I've never modded a suspension component before. I'm not going to buy into the aftermarket just for the sake of buying into the aftermarket which a lot of people do. I highly doubt you're just going to replace OEM 1LE springs of any variants and see improvements in one area without compromising another. If you have proof of what I saying is wrong then post it. If you have proof of YYZ springs improving a MR setup over 1LE springs, without compromising other areas then post that as well. And yes often times OEM gets it right more than the aftermarket gets it right. Not surprising seeing the amount of time and $ and resources the OEM's throw at their cars over the aftermarket companies who more just follow a narrative of, "stiffer means flatter cornering, softer means better for weight transfer. Knowing that we'll just move the spring rates around this much, throw on some shocks to help with whatever we intended these springs to be used for, run them around a road course, or at a drag strip a few times, and call it good."

Again don't think I've not ever modded my suspensions. If these springs improve on a 1LE's performance I want to see proof, and I'll be all for them if they don't heavily compromise other areas. All I see is talk on here from non-1LE owners. The reason I bought a 1LE is to let the factory get the suspension right. My 02 SS and Cobra handled better than stock on ideal surfaces, but on rough pavement they rode like crap compared to an OEM car, they were harsher, more noisy, sometimes you had to troubleshoot weird pops and noises coming from them, and they likely weren't as good as what a high-end factory offering would of been. For example I had a bunch of MM parts on my Terminator including C/O's with MM valved Bilstein Sport shocks/struts, and also the FTB solid IRS bushings, amount many other little components, and I highly doubt that car would of handled better than a factory 2,000 Cobra R.
Of course there is going to be compromise, but you are proving the fact that OEM springs are a big compromise to make the car work well all around.
Quote:
I'd go aftermarket if I didn't have MRC. I just don't think any aftermarket suspension company has a better setup than what chevy offers either in the 1LE or their own performance packages. Also I don't really want to drop the car an inch when it doesn't end up offering any performance benefits. I'd much rather have a setup that has been engineered to increase performance by the same people that designed the whole damn chassis in the first place.

Also engine mods are easier to measure the benefits of and imo simpler to tune than the suspension/chassis.
If you don't want to drop an inch then don't consider them.

Anyone know where the thread is that numerous users figured out the spring rates?
TheRealJA105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 01:38 PM   #20
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
I'd go aftermarket if I didn't have MRC. I just don't think any aftermarket suspension company has a better setup than what chevy offers either in the 1LE or their own performance packages. Also I don't really want to drop the car an inch when it doesn't end up offering any performance benefits. I'd much rather have a setup that has been engineered to increase performance by the same people that designed the whole damn chassis in the first place.

Also engine mods are easier to measure the benefits of and imo simpler to tune than the suspension/chassis.
GM spent a ton of time and money to dial in the suspensions on these cars, including trips to Nurburgring and many tracks across the US and the chassis dynamics have been universally praised by road test editors and racers like Randy Pobst. The 1LE suspension kit is a safe bet and will be dialed in for sure. I'd be hesitant to attempt to piece together another setup, unless you really know what you're doing and plan to track it and dial it in, which may take several iterations to nail down (time + $$). Whatever you do, just make sure you don't end up adding a bunch of parts and ending up with a downgrade!

On the other hand, if aftermarket companies can quantify why their setup is better than the GM offerings, I'm all ears! Just stating "X % stiffer" doesn't cut it, I'd want to see skidpad, slalom, track laptimes, etc. to show exactly what deficiency they are improving upon.

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 01:51 PM   #21
kropscamaro16

powell did alot of testing on these springs even went out of his way to test all of the competition out there before designing his springs check it out below

Powell YYZ springs for Camaro were engineered by Hyperco with some basic considerations in mind.

Some words from John Powell -creator, Marc Campbell and Evan McClure– Hyperco Engineers

We assumed the car would be most often driven with a maximum of two people, weighing around 200-140 lbs each; full
tank of gas; basic safety kit and tools in trunk. The car would be used for daily driving and potential track use, and not
used for towing or extreme load situations. Tires would be street specific performance tires, or “R” compound tires,
perhaps occasionally racing slicks for limited track use.

We measured multiple cars to determine build quality and suspension parameters. We studied the range of travel of the
suspension components; and decided to produce a spring that would run trouble free with Magnetic Ride control.
Additionally, our springs would fit properly on OEM struts and shocks including MRC, but also fit our own tuned damping
struts and shocks, which we plan to, offer in the near future. Finally, we tested the latest GM Multimatic Chevy
performance suspension components.
Our drop with Gen 6 YYZ v2 springs is one inch from 1LE SS stock.

It took a lot of time and effort to accumulate the parts and run the analysis. We also had to review the information from
our stalwart Gen 6 independent testers, Michael, Nick and Sean. You could say they were not “independent” as I gave
them the springs at no charge to test. But trust me, if I sent these folks junk , they would be all over me in a New York
minute.

They did tell me what changes we needed to make (fitment, coil ends, YYZ script right side up etc) but here is the
graphical information on all the springs we reviewed, including the $6,000 dollar Chevrolet Performance package. That
did include some suspension pieces and trick Multimatic shocks.
I figured that with computer simulation, and really bright kids out of school as engineers, the springs on the market
would be decent.

And yet, I was disappointed. Some of these springs are weak and will continue to take set as you drive them, which by
the way will cause the wheel alignment to change and the tires to wear adversely. The spring rates on the Chev package,
as you can see from the graphs are really high. The days of doing the “Porsche/BMW European style” of redonkulous
high spring rates for race cars are long gone. Tracks and roads in North America are not billiard table smooth surfaces.
Race cars need wheel travel and wheel rates and damping to suit, to make tires work well, generating grip, factoring in
tire compound, track surface, changing track conditions and aero load. And for the Gen 6 by the way, you may well be
driving the car to the track days.

For sure the more grip the tire has, especially a racing slick, the demands on the spring rate and the suspension are
greater. But if you choose the Chev performance linear spring package, I suspect you had better wear a kidney belt for
the drive..../end rant

Wow !! Look at these graphs

Evan McClure, the Hyperco engineer on our project, has been sweating the details with our test stuff and my insistence
that we want the very best rising rate springs for Gen6 Camaro customers . Evan says:
“What you’re looking at, are rate vs load graphs. This shows the relationship between the load (lbf) each individual brand’s spring sees and the corresponding rate (lb/in) it’s at during that load. The higher the graph line, the higher the rate. The higher the rate, the stiffer the ride becomes. What these graphs show, on both the front and rear, is that the Hyperco-Powell Racing YYZ Springs are the ONLY springs tested on the market that takes the static load of the Camaro’s alpha platform into account for rate transition. Every other brand is either focused on looks only (lowering spring with a linear rate), or creating a ride that “simulates” a sporty ride (harsh on bumps, minimal body roll). The YYZ springs are the ONLY springs that have a true dual rate setup, and are focused on both form and function. By utilizing the static load as a result of the motion ratio as our transition point for our dual rate system, we’ve created a ride that is soft around town, but stiffens up around corners. A dual rate system creates a reduction in body roll, and will create what I believe to be optimum cornering grip around the track and launch grip at the drag strip. “

The choice is yours. When it comes to performance lowering springs, we believe Hyperco Powell YYZ springs are the best you can buy. Shock damping is next up. Stay tuned.
YYZ V.2 Gen 6 Camaro FRONT spring comparison graph.

https://wildhammermotorsports.com/16...ll-race-parts/
Old 01-02-2020, 04:25 PM   #22
mrgoodbytes

Drives: '18 2SS/EU (+Recaros) M6 Red Hot
Does anyone know if it is possible to install the MRC tune for the SS MRC to 1LE suspension upgrade, yourself?

Does the kit come with a code or something that you need to redeem from an online site to get the programming flash?

There are no dealerships anywhere near where I live.
But I'd be willing to pay for the programming tool and an online subscription for programming/flash, if that is all it takes.
mrgoodbytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 10:31 PM   #23
Cherry

Drives: 2017 SS 50th
You'll probably want the dealer to do it. GM won't cover it if it's done third party
Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote