Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-10-2019, 03:42 PM   #1
camaroJD

Drives: 2019 Satin Steel 1SS 1LE w/ PDR
Body Shops in Metro Detroit? (and what is this going to cost me)

Last edited by camaroJD; 11-21-2019 at 03:38 PM.
camaroJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 04:55 PM   #2
Frankie18SS

Drives: 18 Camaro 2SS, 07 Saturn Ion
I've taken mine to Milnes Chevrolet in Imlay City twice. It's a half hour north on M53. I hit a deer 3 weeks after I took delivery so I was naturally on edge about the quality of work. They beat my expectations by a lot. The paint actually looks better than it did from the factory.

I recently needed work on the fender and door. I absolutely cannot tell where any work was done. FYI, the picture in my signature is their work as the front end was completely wiped out last year. I highly recommend them.
Old 11-10-2019, 05:23 PM   #3
camaroJD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie18SS View Post
I've taken mine to Milnes Chevrolet in Imlay City twice. It's a half hour north on M53. I hit a deer 3 weeks after I took delivery so I was naturally on edge about the quality of work. They beat my expectations by a lot. The paint actually looks better than it did from the factory.

I recently needed work on the fender and door. I absolutely cannot tell where any work was done. FYI, the picture in my signature is their work as the front end was completely wiped out last year. I highly recommend them.
Thanks but that's about an hour or so from me. I will keep them in mind. Based on my (poor) experiences with dealership body shops, I'm shocked to hear they did a good job.
Old 11-10-2019, 05:28 PM   #4
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
I recently had very similar damage on my 2013 ZL1. The local dealership gave me a quote of just over $500. I took it to the local dealer that is right around the corner from where I live for convenience sake, and they did a great job.
I live downriver and took it to Michael-Bates Chevrolet in Woodhaven.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 05:51 PM   #5
Azerlazer26

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS
I had the same thing happen to me last year. It costed me ~$1,500 in repairs and took a week to get fixed. As far as body shops go try Mike Savoie Chevrolet in Troy, Michigan. Had a buddy get his car repaired by them and it turned out flawless!

Edit: I added a picture of the damage from my car last year. Like I said, very similar damage and ran me ~$1,500
Attached Images

Azerlazer26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 06:14 PM   #6
camaroJD

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
I recently had very similar damage on my 2013 ZL1. The local dealership gave me a quote of just over $500. I took it to the local dealer that is right around the corner from where I live for convenience sake, and they did a great job.
I live downriver and took it to Michael-Bates Chevrolet in Woodhaven.
I could certainly live with $500.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azerlazer26 View Post
I had the same thing happen to me last year. It costed me ~$1,500 in repairs and took a week to get fixed. As far as body shops go try Mike Savoie Chevrolet in Troy, Michigan. Had a buddy get his car repaired by them and it turned out flawless!

Edit: I added a picture of the damage from my car last year. Like I said, very similar damage and ran me ~$1,500
That's nearly identical. Funny you mention that, that's where I purchase my cars and I used Suburban Collision down the street to repair my Cruze a few years ago to deal with a hit and run in the same area. I was not happy at all with their work. The body gaps did not line up and after some back and forth they told me it was "good enough".

Last edited by camaroJD; 11-21-2019 at 03:39 PM.
Old 11-10-2019, 06:53 PM   #7
Azerlazer26

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroJD View Post

That's nearly identical. Funny you mention that, that's where I purchase my cars and I used them (Suburban Collision) to repair my Cruze a few years ago to deal with a hit and run in the same area. I was not happy at all with their work. The body gaps did not line up and after some back and forth they told me it was "good enough".
Oh I had my fair share of issues with my local collision center. Took them 6 damn months to get everything resolved. That’s a story for another time though
Azerlazer26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 07:00 PM   #8
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:

That's nearly identical. Funny you mention that, that's where I purchase my cars and I used them (Suburban Collision) to repair my Cruze a few years ago to deal with a hit and run in the same area. I was not happy at all with their work. The body gaps did not line up and after some back and forth they told me it was "good enough".
My damage was limited to the front part of the fender in front of the front wheel and there was no damage to the front facia. That's why the difference in cost I would suspect.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 04:34 PM   #9
camaroJD

At what point does using insurance make sense? I have been thinking about this all day and I have a clean driving record, nothing at-fault. Would one smaller claim do that much to my rates? I plan on keeping this a very long time so I'm not concerned with the resale issue.
Old 11-11-2019, 04:49 PM   #10
ZarusSS

Drives: Chevy Camaro
Quote:
At what point does using insurance make sense? I have been thinking about this all day and I have a clean driving record, nothing at-fault. Would one smaller claim do that much to my rates? I plan on keeping this a very long time so I'm not concerned with the resale issue.
It's not the rates. It's the red flag on a carfax report showing you had an accident. If you plan on selling it at some point that's a real negative
ZarusSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 05:56 PM   #11
camaroJD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZarusSS View Post
It's not the rates. It's the red flag on a carfax report showing you had an accident. If you plan on selling it at some point that's a real negative
It's just the rates for me, I plan on keeping this a very long time.
Old 11-11-2019, 06:01 PM   #12
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
I think $500 is low. That basically gets the bumper cover removed, repainted, and reinstalled. The front fender damage is the problem. Getting the crease straight around the wheel well will be very hard, even with filler. A lot of body shop guys are probably going to say go with a new fender. If you look at azerlazer's damage, the crease is still pretty straight. So you can fill around that.
On the plus side, I think you will find that satin steel is a bit more forgiving for minor irregularities than, say, gloss black.
So, if you skip the new fender and it looks OK with filler, $1500 sounds right, because it means complete repaint of both bumper cover and fender. For new fender, I don't know, maybe another $500.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 06:08 PM   #13
camaroJD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
I think $500 is low. That basically gets the bumper cover removed, repainted, and reinstalled. The front fender damage is the problem. Getting the crease straight around the wheel well will be very hard, even with filler. A lot of body shop guys are probably going to say go with a new fender. If you look at azerlazer's damage, the crease is still pretty straight. So you can fill around that.
On the plus side, I think you will find that satin steel is a bit more forgiving for minor irregularities than, say, gloss black.
So, if you skip the new fender and it looks OK with filler, $1500 sounds right, because it means complete repaint of both bumper cover and fender. For new fender, I don't know, maybe another $500.
This is the rear quarter panel and bumper. The problem is the area that sticks out the most is smashed in and needs body work, as well as aligning the back corner. I'm going to get an estimate at a forum member's body shop this week.
Old 11-12-2019, 10:39 AM   #14
Blackmonba6Gen
BLUPRINT_1LE

Drives: 2022 Rapid Blue SS 1LE
You can try "The Collision Shop - Clinton Twp" I heard they do good work. I haven't been there before but heard good things. We I got into a wreck I just took it to Mike Savoie in Troy since it was the nearest too me at the time

IG: BLUPRINT_1LE
YT: BLUPRINT_1LE

----------------------------------------------------------------
Blackmonba6Gen is offline   Reply With Quote