Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-11-2016, 11:45 AM   #29
Flashpoint135

Drives: 2016 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdelgado92 View Post
I appreciate the advicefeo from everyone. I have heard about not letting off the gas but I always thought I would break something lol also how exactly do I turn on competitive mode?
The button immediately in front of the mode button and behind the shifter - the one for Traction Control and Stabilitrac - push that button twice while in Sport or Track mode. You will see a message that you are in Competitive mode in the usual messsage area between the tach and speedometer. Both the T/C and Stabilitrac lights will be lit on the dash as well. Competitive mode turns T/C and Stabilitrac mostly off - they will only engage in "we ARE going to CRASH" situations to try to save you. Otherwise it assumes you know what you are doing hanging the tail out like that while smoking the tires and that you'll catch it when the tail comes back the other way.

Most of this is in the owners manual, the best way I've found to search the manual is to go to the chevy site, owners section, bring up the appropriate manual in electronic form and then do a control-F search picking a unique word, like "Competitive" in this case. Easier than looking through the paper manual.
Old 10-29-2019, 12:29 PM   #30
fahimghaffar

Drives: 2018 Camaro ss
I have a camaro ss 2018

I am having same 2nd gear issue. One the customer got it fixed and found out that is a defective transmission housing. Here is the link to the video. https://youtu.be/FxngwiF7_Wg

GM knows about it but they are telling their dealer to tell customers that it is normal. Everybody, we need to report this issue to NHTSA.gov. Here is the link for that https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

All these camaoros have defected transmision housing which is causing multiple symtoms. For example, hard to shift to 2nd when upshift or downsift, 2nd gear popping out and shift into neutral, missing 2nd gear and sometime grinding.
I spoke to 2 dealers and they both have different openion. One says that i need skip shift eliminater and the other one says that it is normal to have symtoms like that also Advised me not to use the 2nd gear. Which is bad beacuse we spent a fortune buying this car and then we are unable the use 2nd gear.

Please everybody, go NHTSA website and file a complain because they are not going to fix it until government institution files a lawsuit against GM
fahimghaffar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 02:11 PM   #31
ssmofo

Drives: Chevy Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sev View Post
Practice, practice, practice! The more you drive your Camaro, the better your shifting will become. Try to find an open parking lot to practice your starts from a dead stop, and repeat. Hope this helps man, you'll get ut!
The only answer that makes sense....at all.
ssmofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 04:38 PM   #32
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
You will have to get used to shifting by yourself with practice and seat time in the car! Everyone shifts differently and no one person can help you figure when to shift to another gear. My shift habits wouldn’t work for someone else driving a manual but I do understand what help/tips you are asking for from folks here! I have been driving a manual for about 40 years and it’s just second nature to me so my advice is to practice your shifts to get the feel of the clutch and gears and remember that there is no wrong way to drive a manual unless you are grinding the gears or killing the engine. Take your time and it will come to you!��
Old 10-29-2019, 04:40 PM   #33
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
I haven’t had a problem with 2nd gear in my ZL1 yet!! Hopefully it’s an upgraded trans over the SS version.
Old 10-29-2019, 06:54 PM   #34
lt4camaro

Drives: 2021 LT1 10 speed auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdelgado92 View Post
So I'm fairly new to manual transmission, less than a year new...under normal driving I'm 95% good with shifting throughout all the gears except maybe 6th. My problem is when I really open her up and take it to about 6k rpms. I feel I'm too slow at shifting. This is what I do exactly... I'm already rolling at this point in first gear..1) I press the gas all the way down 2) I reach about 6k rpms and then I let go of the gas 3) I press the clutch immediately and shift to 2nd gear. 4) I depress clutch and then get back on the gas and repeat through put the gears. I feel the process from letting go of the gas to shifting to the next gear and then pressing the gas again is where I'm too slow. The engine immediately starts slowing down and there's a bit of a jolt when I get back in gear. I guess my question is..what's the trick to have the engine not slow down while I'm shifting and have a smoother transition ?

Hopefully all that made sense lol and here's a picture of my camaro cause I'm still in love with the stripes
Drive, drive, and drive some more. Put about 15k on the car and your shifting will get much better. Patience and develop a passion to master the manual shifting methods and feel of the clutch. Develop the sensitive grace of the gas pedal, clutch pedal and shifter all in its perfect harmony.
lt4camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 07:43 PM   #35
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
Hopefully, in the 3 years since OP posted this, he has gotten some practice
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 08:53 PM   #36
c4racer

Drives: 2016 SS Convertible
Probably sold it long ago. Somebody is dredging up every post relating to shifting.
I won’t name names.
c4racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 10:41 PM   #37
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
um, fahimghaffar....wrong thread man. You are going to get these threads closed. Start a thread on this in the Camaro Issues section and discuss it there. NO need to bump ancient threads that aren't even related. And, sorry to say but your theory that the 2nd gear synchro issue is related to a "defective housing" may not be correct. Especially considering the problem disappears as you approach 3000 rpms.
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 06:16 AM   #38
dmcmahan60

Drives: 2017 SS
[QUOTE=protovack;10650718]um, fahimghaffar....wrong thread man. You are going to get these threads closed. Start a thread on this in the Camaro Issues section and discuss it there. NO need to bump ancient threads that aren't even related. And, sorry to say but your theory that the 2nd gear synchro issue is related to a "defective housing" may not be correct. Especially considering the problem disappears as you approach 3000 rpms.[/QUOT

Thanks for stepping in and saying something. Did not see the reason for so many threads on the one topic.
dmcmahan60 is offline   Reply With Quote