#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-30-2019, 09:26 PM   #85
Dave-ROR

Drives: A few
Quote:
Originally Posted by C Man View Post
There is a reason oil needs to be changed for the track. While this may not be the cause of the engine failure... if they dug into it enough, they may void the warranty since the right oil wasn't used.
You seriously think they kept the oil from the engine? Dealers just don't do that unless they highly suspect the owner did something stupid with fluids in the first place.. and even then most don't. I guess they could scrap a sample off some remaining on engine parts but good luck proving it came from that engine. They'd lose that claim in a heartbeat.
HPDE/DD: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE || HPDE/DD: 2015 Subaru BRZ ||Tow Vehicle: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 8.1L || Weekend toy: 1994 MR2 Turbo || The other weekend toy: 1993 MR2 Turbo || Track car: 1998 Integra Type-R || Race car: 1996 Integra GS-R || New race car build: 1992 Honda Civic Hatchback

Too many cars.. never.
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 10:06 PM   #86
ZL1Kraut

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD2018_ZL1 View Post
I thought you said they had already approved a crate motor ?
I thought so too. The entire dealership has lost all credibility with the exception of Kevin the tech.
ZL1Kraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 07:50 AM   #87
ZL1Kraut

Just wanted to give you guys another update. The car STILL isn't finished and my attorney is currently in negotiations with GM on buying the car back.

Also, they have no clue why the bearings spun. Oil pump checks out apparently.

Last edited by ZL1Kraut; 09-16-2019 at 08:12 AM.
Old 09-16-2019, 08:04 AM   #88
Aliveguy5

Drives: 2017 Red Hot ZL1
I hope it all goes smoothly for you.
Aliveguy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 09:21 AM   #89
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1Kraut View Post
Just wanted to give you guys another update. The car STILL isn't finished and my attorney is currently in negotiations with GM on buying the car back.

Also, they have no clue why the bearings spun. Oil pump checks out apparently.
GM may be interested in getting either the whole car or just the engine back for research purposes to investigate in their labs to figure out what went wrong. ??
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 03:02 PM   #90
ZL1Kraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
GM may be interested in getting either the whole car or just the engine back for research purposes to investigate in their labs to figure out what went wrong. ??
Their remedy is to just replaced the crank, bearings, and 2 connecting rods. Totally half-assed way of doing it, but I have no control over how the car is fixed. So I don't know as they'll get the engine back, but maybe when it locks up again they'll figure it out.
Old 09-16-2019, 03:16 PM   #91
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
If you spun a bearing they at least have to replace the oil cooler and lines too. That's a standard part of the repair process when a bearing(s) fails.

Are they replacing the oil cooler, or did they say that wont be done? Some may try to clean it to save money.
SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 04:15 PM   #92
ZL1Kraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFV1LE View Post
If you spun a bearing they at least have to replace the oil cooler and lines too. That's a standard part of the repair process when a bearing(s) fails.

Are they replacing the oil cooler, or did they say that wont be done? Some may try to clean it to save money.
They're not cleaning anything except the oil pan

Block or heads aren't being hot tanked. Heads aren't even being disassembled and cleaned. Literally crank out, cylinders 1 and 2 pistons popped out, disassemble wrist pins, reinstall on new rods, send it! Total hack job. I would never accept the car back like this if I were keeping it. Disappointing to say the least.

What KILLS me is, they have no idea why it happened and don't seem interested in finding out either. Just slam the thing back together and see ya later.
Old 09-16-2019, 05:00 PM   #93
RUQWIKR

Drives: 1LEs
Quote:

Block or heads aren't being hot tanked. Heads aren't even being disassembled and cleaned. Literally crank out, cylinders 1 and 2 pistons popped out, disassemble wrist pins, reinstall on new rods, send it! Total hack job. I would never accept the car back like this if I were keeping it. Disappointing to say the least.

What KILLS me is, they have no idea why it happened and don't seem interested in finding out either. Just slam the thing back together and see ya later.
Too bad for the next owner! That comment is not directed negatively at you.
RUQWIKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 05:58 PM   #94
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
That sucks. There may be a lot of bearing debris in there. Did they cut open the oil filter and show it to you? Unfortunately I've seen this in one of my own cars that had rod knock, big chunks of bearing in the filter. Maybe yours shut down prior to the bearings disintegrating.

It's interesting that a spun bearing shut the motor down while the oil pump was still working. A spun bearing doesn't stop a motor unless a rod breaks, as far as I know. Does the ZL1 ECU sense this through knock sensor or similar means and send it into limp mode?

Quote:

SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 06:02 PM   #95
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Their remedy is to just replaced the crank, bearings, and 2 connecting rods. Totally half-assed way of doing it, but I have no control over how the car is fixed. So I don't know as they'll get the engine back, but maybe when it locks up again they'll figure it out.
GM may still want the bad parts returned to them for closer inspection and analysis.?
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 06:55 PM   #96
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Maybe they really don’t know what happened to the engine! They should at least put a short block assembly in the car or a new engine. Don’t really understand that but you’re not keeping the car anyway so it’s a moot point.
Old 09-16-2019, 07:16 PM   #97
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
The posters above, are correct. you don’t qualify for lemon law, that’s only new cars across United States. However if they have offered you a buyback I would take it and get it as far away from this car as possible. I just think it will never get better.

The way a buyback -or “trade assist” works (your state may be diff), at least for the two car companies that I worked for, is that the life of the car is considered to be 100,000 miles. They then subtract how much mileage you have put on from that 100k , let’s say you put 10,000 on it, leaving 90%. They would cut you a check for 90% of the car and all the assoc costs. The dealer has nothing to do with this. It is all GM. So make sure that they are not putting themselves between you and GM. Contact the rep at GM and they will do the whole deal. The deal may be slightly sweeter if you don’t want cash and you want to put your money towards a new GM car.

Used cars, even CPO, are really divorced from the whole mechanism, when it comes to the the manufacturer. The manufacturer only cares about the first customer… Sad to say that’s the way it is.....

GM will send his car to manufacturer day at auction, and not have to disclose anything because the lemon law was not transacted. There will be no branded title and sell “as is”.

Last edited by Glen e; 09-16-2019 at 07:28 PM.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 11:41 AM   #98
RUQWIKR

Drives: 1LEs
You also have to watch out for warranty blocked vehicles. That doesn't show up on CarFax, etc.
RUQWIKR is offline   Reply With Quote