Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 07-08-2019, 03:01 PM   #1
SWZL11LE

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE
Six months with my '19 ZLE

Well for those who read my "First Impressions" post for my then new '19 ZLE, this is a 6 month update.

Time flies, and it has been just shy of 6 months with the ZLE. This isn't my only car, so it doesn't get a whole lot of use or driven daily, but I did put just under 2000 miles on it which are mostly track miles or getting to and back from track.

The car has gotten PPF (Paint Protection Film) from head to toe, it is pricey to do, but I think it is worth every penny.

I think we all know how stiff the suspension is, so I guess there is no need to beat that topic to death, but even in smooth South Florida roads, it is at times unbearable on the street. But still haven't lost my love for the ZLE.

Since the first impressions post, I've gone ahead and gotten the "track alignment" setup on the car, and this was a must since the first day I had the car on track I went through the left front tire, needed camber badly (especially at PBIR, where it is known to be a tire chewing track). The track alignment did help big time with the tire wear issue for the fronts. I've been back two additional times so far with the ZLE to the track and the front tires are doing pretty good.

Speaking of the tires, the OEM GoodYear F1 Supercar 3R tires on this car are rather impressive. They don't really fall off like the Michelin Sport Cup 2's which is my biggest complaint I have with my Porsche, 10 laps and the tire falls off in terms of performance. I'm so impressed with these tires that I wanted to see if they have Porsche sizing to replace the Cup 2's and unfortunately they don't. As far as the streetable track tires go, the F1 Supercar 3R's are wonderful. Just be careful in the rain.

In terms of reliability, the only issue I've had with the car so far is the fact that the latch to fold the passenger seat forward to let people in the back is non functional anymore. Looks like the cable snapped after being used once, going to go in for warranty on this soon.

The car is still stock, mainly because of a busy work schedule. My main complaint about this car has been the brakes, and specifically the brake feel. I've since ordered a set of custom carbon fiber braided brake lines to be made for the ZLE which will be installed along with Brembo racing brake fluid. This will definitely be a huge improvement for brake feel.

The broken seat latch also was a good excuse to go ahead and order up a set of racing seat with harness setup for the car. The stock seats are good but for slimmer built body types they do not provide the best support on track, especially when you get towards the limits of what this monster of a street car is capable of.

After taking my time to look around and check out the seat options, I've opted to go with the new Sabelt X-Pad seats. They haven't arrived state side just yet, they'll be here in two weeks, but I got to sit in a demo seat today and it was a home run. The halo isn't overly obstructive so that it shouldn't pose too much of a problem on the street. There are a lot of things that I liked about the Sabelt compared to other's I was considering, so I'll make a post about these on their own, as soon as the seats arrive. The seat will be accompanied with the Brey Kraus seat adapters and a harness bar from them.

I have also met a forum member with a ZLE, Jaymes aka @junkyardspecial and he even came out to PBIR to the track one of the days which I was there. We had a ton of fun with the ZLE's on track which goes to show how great this community is.

All in all, I like the car even more than the first day I received it, given the fact that I am getting comfortable behind the wheel and it is so capable on track as a road car that it puts a huge smile on my face.

As soon as the goodies arrive, I'll try to get some detailed pictures and maybe even videos to post an update.

Attached Images

SWZL11LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 03:09 PM   #2
Gary H

Drives: Camaro ZL1
Awesome write, up , thank you for sharing.

Velossa intake, Rotofab, Mamo TB, Custom ported NX Lid & Jokerz Full tilt ported LT4 charger, 3 port CoolingMist Meth injection - ATI 15% lower pulley, E2X CC, TSP ceramic coated longtubes, de-cat and Borla 60608 to NPP box, JRE tune, BMR rear control & trailing arms, lock-out kit, lowering springs and front strut brace, Custom carbon trim interior, Xpel ultimate front PPF and Prestige window tint with Chameleon Windscreen tint...ever evolving...
Gary H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 03:21 PM   #3
Never Enuf

Drives: '17 Corvette Z06
SWZL11LE did you go with the M6 or A10 transmission on the ZLE? I'm still trying to decide which to get. I've always been a Manual transmission guy but considering something different.
If it's the A10 how quick are the shifts when using the paddles. I've driven a new Z06 with the auto and didn't care for the delay between paddle initiation and the actual shift. Also drove a GT3rs like yours, on the track and loved those shifts!
Never Enuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 03:34 PM   #4
SWZL11LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never Enuf View Post
SWZL11LE did you go with the M6 or A10 transmission on the ZLE? I'm still trying to decide which to get. I've always been a Manual transmission guy but considering something different.
If it's the A10 how quick are the shifts when using the paddles. I've driven a new Z06 with the auto and didn't care for the delay between paddle initiation and the actual shift. Also drove a GT3rs like yours, on the track and loved those shifts!

My ZLE is an M6, it might not be as fast as the A10, it is just a bit more involving to drive. It makes it more fun on the street to have an M6 versus the A10 for sure. I never tried the A10, if it was a double clutch I'd definitely consider it, but it being an auto box kind of drove me away from that choice.

That 3RS is actually a friend of mines, and yes the PDK is pretty impressive, as is that whole car as a package.
Old 07-08-2019, 04:47 PM   #5
viurniel
@viurniel

Drives: 19 ZLE A10, 15 2SS, 90 300ZXTT
Just let me know when you would like to terrorize the streets together.
viurniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 05:32 PM   #6
juice3

Drives: 19 ZLE A10,17 SS 1LE, 16 C7R,CT5V
sub
juice3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 06:36 PM   #7
Junkyardspecial

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by viurniel View Post

Im the other white ZLE in the photos, im sure ill see you around too!

Will buy your GoodYear Supercar 3R Take offs!
Junkyardspecial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 06:46 AM   #8
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
I am very interested in seeing for myself how these cars handle on the road. And I would like to see for myself how stiff they really are. For me, it would be a matter of if the trade-off is worthwhile. If it handles above the standard ZL1 well enough that the harshness makes it bearable. That might be a tall order considering how comfy the standard ZL1 is and how well it handles. But I would like to check it out for myself one day soon. If it isn't bad then I could see adding one to my collection...even tho I don't like having 2 of the same vehicles.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 09:08 AM   #9
Gritesh

Drives: 2019 ZL1 A10 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Never Enuf View Post
I have the boring regular zl1, in the A10 and I was a manual purest for life.

I thought I would give this transmission a try and its a real treat, and the paddle shifting feels so precise, I know its not a dual clutch, but the shifts are instant, I tried the A8 and hated the delay but this thing is crazy fast.
Gritesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 09:54 AM   #10
Ichabod

Drives: 2018 zl1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
I am very interested in seeing for myself how these cars handle on the road. And I would like to see for myself how stiff they really are.
IMO its a bit overblown. I had an SS 1le and I don't believe my ZLE is much harsher than the SS was in track mode. what part of NJ are you in?
2017 Ram 1500
Ichabod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 01:47 PM   #11
SWZL11LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by viurniel View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkyardspecial View Post
Im the other white ZLE in the photos, im sure ill see you around too!

viurniel do you do track at all?

Perhaps we can do a ZLE invasion at the track.

If you have past track experience, I can get you out on track for a day / evening, we'd have the track pretty much open to ourselves, Junkyardspecial can vouch for that lol
Old 07-09-2019, 01:51 PM   #12
SWZL11LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichabod View Post
IMO its a bit overblown. I had an SS 1le and I don't believe my ZLE is much harsher than the SS was in track mode. what part of NJ are you in?

Never been in an SS, but the ZLE is way too stiff for civilized road use. I have a few other cars that are all track only, and I can tell you the ZLE is just as bad as a new gen Viper ACR, which is absolutely horrible on the road. If you compare it to the GT cars that Porsche puts out, there is a night and day difference in comfort on the road. A GT4 and GT3RS feel like a luxury car on the road in terms of comfort compared to the ZLE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
I am very interested in seeing for myself how these cars handle on the road. And I would like to see for myself how stiff they really are. For me, it would be a matter of if the trade-off is worthwhile. If it handles above the standard ZL1 well enough that the harshness makes it bearable. That might be a tall order considering how comfy the standard ZL1 is and how well it handles. But I would like to check it out for myself one day soon. If it isn't bad then I could see adding one to my collection...even tho I don't like having 2 of the same vehicles.

If you aren't going to put the ZLE through track duties, no point of buying one if you already have a ZL1.
Old 07-09-2019, 02:53 PM   #13
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichabod View Post
I'm out here in Monmouth County...Neptune City.
Old 07-09-2019, 02:55 PM   #14
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWZL11LE View Post
If you aren't going to put the ZLE through track duties, no point of buying one if you already have a ZL1.
I have no intentions of racing it. But I want the most extreme cornering car at the best value. For the price, nothing touches the ZL1 or ZLE for that matter. But the ZLE is more extreme and that is what I'd like to experience.