#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Phastek Performance

Old 06-21-2019, 07:26 AM   #1
NLZN21

Drives: 2009 370z
AX Advice needed: 1LE 2.0 vs. 1LT 2.0

Hey guys,

I am considering switching to the turbo 2.0 platform for autocross.
To preface, I'm not the fastest driver around but I consider myself both capable and competitive locally in the right chassis.
I started out racing an e36m3 which I STR prepped from stock. The two years I had this car started put me on a rather sour path; I was basically working a second unpaid job in the garage keeping that car race worthy. My wrench-to-drive ratio was way outside of where I wanted it to be so I decided to buy something that I could run in a street class that didn't involve heavy wrench time AND that I could drive daily and go over a few bumps without having to wear both a bra and a mouth guard.

Fast forward a bit I came across a 370 sport at a good price that I nabbed. I was shopping for a z33 when I bought the e36, I just couldn't find one with what I wanted. The car had some mods on it so i figured I'd just race as-is in STR with my class friends. Well it got re-classed to STU AND we happen to have a national champ running locally in STU.. so I got the mod bug and wanted to see what I could against him in his c5. Back to class prepping.
Anyways it's time to move on to something else. I want something (prefer rwd) that can be competitive in a street class that is both comfortable to drive everyday and enjoyable. I've seriously been considering buying a c5z but it doesn't fit the DD bill very much.. and let's face it, c5 interiors are abysmal. I've strongly considered the WRX platform, it fits the DD bill (and then some). It also comes with some advantages, mainly awd for this cooler and wet autocross events. The narrower tires also would help in the wet. Smaller wheels mean less tire cost and less wheel costs for the extra sets. But getting that thing to turn with any touch of the throttle out is just flat out terrible.

So here I am. I've loosely followed Scrogg's successful trek with the 2.0 so I know it can win (I'm sure he could win in lots of other cars too). It's nice having someone who is basically guinea pigging settings on a platform so you have a good baseline to start from. That is so absolutely valuable, since the z34 was new to STU I had to start from scratch. Saves lots of time and money.

I guess it's time to get down to my Q's:
Currently both the 1LE 2.0 and standard 2.0 are classed in DS. The aesthetics of the 1LE are pleasing and the added performance components don't seem to be a drawback. Can you think of any drawbacks of going 2.0 1LE in DS besides having to run staggered larger wheels? (While not 100% optimal, I'd still square the tire sizes, looks like 265 or 275 would be doable and drop to a 19" if they'd clear the brakes).

Let me ask another question: What's up with the ice mode issues? I read somewhere this was fixed for the 2019+ models but I never found an article or link to back this up. My 370 has terrible issues with ice mode (and just abs in general.. the abs programming in the car is terrible all around) and it's one of the biggest reasons I decided to move on. I know how to squeeze a brake pedal properly, and I have had others replicate the issue. After a few close calls and some total ABS failures to wheel lock (on stock street pads may I add) I lost confidence in actually getting the car to stop and I'm not going to spend any more time or money to try and fix it.

I know this post was rather wordy. If you stuck in and read it to offer advice, thank you in advance.
NLZN21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 08:24 AM   #2
ZZP_Tyler

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T RS
Welcome! Always nice to see more people interested in the 4 cylinder cars for auto-x/HPDE. Are you wanting to eventually modify the car and bump classes? Or try to get the most out of sticking with D-Street? My car currently is in SM which around here is a very competitive class. I personally road course more than auto-x, but still occasionally get out there. I run a 275/35/19 and I have CTS-V2 6 piston brakes and the wheels clear just fine. In fact even our 18" drag skinnies fit over the brakes, so you should have no worries there.

If you are looking to modify and bump classes, the LTG takes very kindly to mods. Biggest thing that wakes them up is a tune. Past that typical bolt ons, and E85 if you have it in your area. The LTG has a bit of a poor reputation for piston failure, but as long as you use good gas, good oil (Mobil 1 ESP), and good spark plugs (Denso ITV24's) you'll be solid.

I've never had an issue with ICE mode, but I know others have. I'll let those who've experienced it to chime in. Feel free to reach out anytime if you have any questions!
Old 06-21-2019, 10:44 AM   #3
FNxR3DNECK

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
I would say the biggest downside to the 2.0 1LE in DS right now is the Focus RS lol (and potentially other cars that moved from BS to DS, or the Type R)

Basically the last couple years the 2.0 was very competitive in DS (especially in Mark's hands) but it's hard to tell if it will continue to be competitive. The real question will be if anyone shows up at Nats with a 2.0 1LE, and subsequently how they do.

BUT to answer your main question, the only real down side I see of the 1LE vs. Base 2.0 is the extra price (and the larger diameter wheels like you said). Before a bunch of DS cars got moved to DS my initial thought was that the 2.0 1LE would dominate the class, but now we will just have to wait and see.
Old 06-21-2019, 01:28 PM   #4
EWard

Drives: 2019 Camaro RBM M6 LTG 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by FNxR3DNECK View Post
I would say the biggest downside to the 2.0 1LE in DS right now is the Focus RS lol (and potentially other cars that moved from BS to DS, or the Type R)

Basically the last couple years the 2.0 was very competitive in DS (especially in Mark's hands) but it's hard to tell if it will continue to be competitive. The real question will be if anyone shows up at Nats with a 2.0 1LE, and subsequently how they do.

BUT to answer your main question, the only real down side I see of the 1LE vs. Base 2.0 is the extra price (and the larger diameter wheels like you said). Before a bunch of BS cars got moved to DS my initial thought was that the 2.0 1LE would dominate the class, but now we will just have to wait and see.
I agree with what you said. Every time I have lost this year its been to a Focus RS or Civic type R. As for autocross in Street class the 1le - FE3 suspension would be an improvement over a 1LS. The trade off being the extra weight from the additional coolers, but if you decide to track your car you are set. I'm ready to track my car, but the biggest fear is the lacking of cooling and the small front brakes. If I could do it over again and you can get the $6,500 discount on a 1LE that would be my choice for the money. The 2.0T Camaro is so balanced and turns in so good and you don't have to lift a wrench, just arrive and drive!!

For autocross my biggest aggravation is visibility/size and where the car feels like it loses time because of the 60-62mph limit in 2nd gear.

In reflection now that I understand more about autocross my top priorities would be visibility and size. So a ND Miata clubsport, one of the twins in SSC or a Civic Type R would be in the cards and just get over having a manly car lol
EWard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 10:09 AM   #5
clyde

Drives: broken
If you're going to play in Street, you have to be willing to see your class dominating car made irrelevant the next year. If you can get three years out of a Street class car, you're pretty lucky.

The non-1LE 2.0T Camaro is a lot of fun to autocross and it's a shame more people didn't run them (especially last year following Scroggs' annihilation of the rest of the class in 2017). It just had a very small window to be at the top of the pack at the lowest prep level and that window is probably now closed. It can still trophy Nationally at Tours, but Pro Solo is a lost cause (at least if DS continues being indexed with GS in S4).

I wouldn't buy a 2.0T Camaro for Street class autocross today if winning National events was my goal, but it's a fine car for locals. Easy on tires, enough power to be entertaining, tons of fun to drive, and cheap.

The thing that scared me most about 2.0T 1LEs was the wider rear wheel. It doesn't need it and would tend toe make the car more pushy compared to the very neutral handling non-1LE. Not being able to rotate tires front to back without a mount/dismount cycle is another arrow. Maybe the shocks, springs and bars outweigh those? Dunno, but at best, it's just an incremental improvement. I think a set of real shocks on a non-1LE would help more than all the FE3 pieces plus wider rear wheels.

OTOH, if I was looking to buy a cheap new(/ish) car for autocross that can do well locally and be tons of fun to drive...and then maybe build for ESP or CAM to run locally or Nationally, the non-1lE 2.0T Camaro is where I'd start and end my search.

Edit- Ice mode. My car is a 2017. I rarely get into ice mode. Maybe 4 or 5 times in 2 years. My co-driver rarely gets through an event without it. His background trained him to be kind of stabby with the brakes. Mine taught me to smoothly squeeze. It makes a difference.
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 03:19 PM   #6
race2win

Drives: 1LT 2.0T
Hey guys, been a while since I've visited this site as I unfortunately sold my Camaro earlier this year.

Everything Clyde mentioned is pretty spot on, however I disagree about whether the 2.0T can still win DS...make no mistake I did not move on to another car because I thought the Camaro was done

As with many classes, course dependency will play a big role in the DS outcome...and if it rains then it will certainly be an uphill battle (ask me how I know ). However on fast flowing courses with some sweepers the Camaro is the car to have in DS IMO...and I've driven all the other cars.

If you are super aggressive with brake application then you will have ice-mode issues in a 16-18 model, I would buy a '19 for this reason. I think if I was buying one today I'd go with a 1LE, but I still think a 1LS can get the job done as well and has more tire/wheel options.

So summing up, to the OP I think a 2.0T Camaro will do exactly what you are looking for
SCCA D-Street #49/149
stranoparts.com
Bridgestone Tires
race2win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 03:28 PM   #7
HyperspaceTurd

Drives: 17 1SS 6MT, 09 Tacoma TRD Sport
Definitely get the 1LE.

It is VERY hard to find high value-per-dollar dampers and springs for these cars. You get a lot of good stuff for the money with the 1LE kit. Not waiting for a 1LE SS is my only regret with this car.

Also keep in mind 19 and 20 inch tires are f'ing $$$$$$ compared to the 17s on lower power auto-x ringers like the ND miata (the 2019's with their horsepower bump look very nice).

These cars are a lot of fun though, all of the trim levels, if you can look past their idiosyncrasies.

Last edited by HyperspaceTurd; 06-22-2019 at 03:34 PM. Reason: clarity
HyperspaceTurd is offline   Reply With Quote